1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

World Peace Day

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sultan Bhargash, Feb 15, 2003.

1. sysyphus

sysyphus So they tell me

They probably did, but felt strongly enough to use their own time to speak out

Greadius, this is just getting old. This painting of those opposed to the war as wanting Saddam to stay in power has long been shown as a pile of rubbish. We just feel there are better ways, or, as I feel, this war will just make a bad situation even worse.

Come up with something with a foundation or say nothing at all.

2. Knight-Dragon

Knight-Dragon Unhidden Dragon Retired Moderator

OK, I've checked today's local news. A grand total of six people tried to demonstrate. First three were picked up by the police at the nearby shopping mall to the US embassy (they had placards and stuff). Three more picked up later when they dropped off at the US embassy in taxis. Official reason by the police - no permit to hold a demonstration. The police were ready.

It's embarassing. :o

OTOH, 2000 demonstrated in Kuala Lumpur. Overwhelmingly vast majority was probably the Muslim Malays.

3. Greadius

Greadius :yeah:

And that is just what is so baffling. Why do people care?

'eh, you've got your priorities, I've got mine.

I'm still oblivious to how any policy but war hurries the removal of Saddam, or even pushes it forward. No policy is perfect, but accepting consequences of the prescribed one is not too tough. It just annoys me to see signs saying "Don't kill Iraqi children"... well, bloody hell, Iraqi children are going to die no matter what we do. So if you REALLY care about Iraqi children (not you specifically, in general), does this mean you honestly believe a war will kill more children than a few more years/decades of Saddam + sanctions?

4. gael

gael Ard Ri

This argument about Araq is not about how bad a leader he is, or how bad he is treating his people. This is going on all round the world. Not just Iraq and NK.

The arqument for this war is based on NATO rules.
    If a country is seen to be a direct threat to another country of NATO, then those other countrys should support that country.
    It is not about Kurds, babies, women, ....blah, blah, blah.
    At the end of the day, nobody here really gives a sh*t who dies in Iraq beyond thier own right to argue and talk through thier arse.

5. stormbind

stormbind Retenta personam!

I'm sorry, but I'll have to interupt you there. After the commercial break we be looking at the opinions of sane people. ;)

6. gael

gael Ard Ri

Why don't you all stop pissing around and get to the point.

Is Saddam a nutter? Yes. Him and many others.
    Is the war legal? No. There is no evidence. Anyone here that knows better, take thier argument to NATO and give all our heads peace.
    Will Americia go to war anyway? Yes, whatever thier interests/problems, its to late to back down.

WAR IS GOING TO HAPPEN. YOU CAN NOT STOP IT.

Stop letting on we care about Iraq, because if we are truely
    honest with ourselves, we don't really give a sh*t.
    Lets think about the real problem, will this war start a wave of terrorism that will effect you and I directly.

7. stormbind

Yes.
    Not until there is a mandate.
    Yes, because Bush is a nutter too :D

It's a big problem in this region of the world; London is the Arab capitol of the world. We really want to avoid terrorism! :(

There are more nutters on the streets here already, threatening a blood bath and taking the Crusades/Fatwa to the city streets.

Is this what we want?

8. Alcibiaties of Athenae

Alcibiaties of Athenae Imperator

There are times I'm ashamed to be part of the human race, and today was such a day.

Millions of people accross Europe and the United States (no, not the world, as many like to claim, sorry, they didn't care in South America and other places) came out to attack George Bush and Support Saddam Hussein.

Turning their backs on the reality that no sanction or resolution has made an iota of difference to Saddam, they screamed for peace, and tried to doom 22 million Iraqis to an enternal hell of Saddam Hussein, while deluding themselves that this is about "oil", or other such nonsense.

I am thankful that most of us are made of sterner stuff.

Blix almost stood up friday and said "This will bring peace in our time", as he white-washed a report that he knew would lead to war.

The UN is finished, brought about by people that have no resolve to confront evil.
    Yes, evil.
    That is Saddam Hussien.
    I see others say "will you attack others?" as an excuse to do nothing.
    The regulars here know I scoff at that illogic, so i won't repeat myself ad-nauseum.

Saddam is finished, and I am thankful that the United States President and the British Prime Minister had the moral courage to confront well meaning fools, greedy frenchmen, xenophobic Germans, and a host of other people with agendas.

9. Greadius

Greadius :yeah:

And here I thought that the burden of proof was on Iraq to present evidence. Its the lack of evidence that is preticipating war, not vice versa.

People still don't know a good saber rattling when they see them ;)

:goodjob: It always comes back to self interest. Honesty is so refreshing. So basically you oppose war because you're afraid. Fair enough. Fear is a strong motivation on every side.

10. Pongui

Pongui Deity

The anti-war protest here in Vancouver was organized by a large, broad-spectrum coalition of groups, and went smoothly. Our city's march wended through the downtown streets, and at one point I had a chance to look back downhill - I'm tall - over seven blocks of city street packed with colour, yet I was near the rear of this procession. The birdwatchers were on hire today with their clickers, to enumerate the flock of people. When I passed, they were calling one-hundred-twelve-thousand.

We passed the Hotel Vancouver, with its king-sized flags hanging over the sidewalk as salutes to our best sources of tourism: Canada, Germany, Japan, Great Britain, USA. I was a little concerned for the Stars & Stripes plainly suspended within reach of any placard waved in anger, or within grasp of some prodigious leaper. We walked beneath it, and the flag hung limply in the light Pacific drizzle, unmolested.

The baby slept in his stroller until the end, when I sat him on my shoulders, and he applauded every speaker, whatever they had to say.

11. gael

gael Ard Ri

"EVIL"

Tell me AOA, do you really care?

I don't think the arguments should be about who is 'evil' and who is not. I know you Americians here like to get into your wee petty squabbles on left vrs right, democrates vrs republicans. Who gives a sh*t, Its makes no difference, its out of your hands.
    You can talk until you are blue in the face, make your point, fell proud of your self. Your all blowing hot air. Its all bull.

Is this war going to stop terrorism?
    I don't really care. I'll probaby not be effected by it that much. I don't live in London or NY.
    If i did, I'd be very worried. The muslum world sees this as an attack on Islam. Is your President really protecting you.

The 'land of the free' is going to become the land of the terrorised.
    Just sit back and look at whats going on. This is only the start of it. Americia will never be able to deal with mass terrorism. Every thing you stand for will be lost in your own country while your government fights for it abroad.
    Is it worth it.

12. stormbind

:lol:

How is anyone supposed to prove they don't have something? The concept of "guilty until proven innocent" is fundamentally flawed.

It is lack of evidence that has led to anti-war demonstrations.

13. stormbind

That's the best statement to come out of any Iraqi thread so far.

14. stormbind

Thankyou for the compliment, I think.

It should be noted though, I don't live anywhere near London :p

I do fear for London and I fear for Washington DC... and oh my, I even fear for Paris! :eek:

15. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff Supporter

It's OK, they are only cities.

They can't hurt you.

:p

16. IceBlaZe

IceBlaZe Atheist Proselytizer

I am all pro protests, even though I am pro war.
    Protests are a sign of a living and aware society, something Israel, unfortunately, could not brag about.

17. Pongui

Pongui Deity

Thank you IceBlaZe. You're a better American than many here.:goodjob:

18. G-Man

G-Man A One Man's War

Israeli society is very aware. But both of us, who discuss many things in here and are both quite aware, agree that there isn't really a solution with a sure or even a likely outcome of stopping terrorism. What do you want people to make protests for?

19. D' Artagnan

D' Artagnan Mousquetaire du Roi

Humm... he is Israeli, which is not quite the same :p... or is Israel the 51th state ? :p

20. Alcibiaties of Athenae

Alcibiaties of Athenae Imperator

Far more then you realize.
    Being somewhat new here, you don't have the sense of history of who I am, or where I stand and why, so I'll excuse your ignorence on it.
    Suffice to say, I have been fighting this fight for over 20 years.

Of course not, because it becomes easy to dismiss Saddam if you throw out what an evil, vile man he is, so taking the easy way is the way most go.
    In your opinion.

It will go along way toward it.
    You see, I understand human nature, and history as well, having studied it for many years.
    The simplistic answer of "enraging the muslim world" is a canard, yet another attempt to do nothing and justify it as the right thing to do.

Then leave it to those of us who do.
    It's EXACTLY what he is doing.
    And your taking a view that is 180 degrees oposite of what muslims say about this war, your repeating Bin Laden's tripe, nobody belives it's a war against muslims THAT ISN'T ALREADY an enemy of the WEST.

You would be surprissed how little terror you get when you fight back.
    Nonsense.
    You speak like an Al Qaeda mouthpiece.
    A biased and incorrect assessment, not in line with any facts.
    You will find that such arguments as you present are really the result of fear, in your case, attempting to place a fear of lost liberty into myself.
    Your wasting your time, my nation has confronted this kind of thing since it was born, we don't believe in backing down.

Your also trying to turn events into the Iraqi propaganda line of "US agression", totally ignoring THE FACT that Iraq has ignored the UN for over a decade, and that Saddam only responds to force, the same as all bullies.

It's time for the world to take a stand, or shut up.
    If your anti-war, your pro-Saddam.
    I know a lot of you don't like to hear that, but sorry, the truth hurts.
    Peaceful methods were tried for a decade, it was a waste of time.
    Now, he will be removed, and many of you best look in the mirror, as many have a warped view of the world where you accuse Bush of this or that, and are willing to trust a maniac like Saddam Hussein in any way.
    I know this makes a lot of you angry, but it's plain honest talk, you can continue to delude yourselves, convinced that Saddam can be trusted, or you can stop being fooled and act.
    Up to you.