1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

World War II 1939 - A Civilization IV Moddification

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by asioasioasio, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Henrik

Henrik Chieftain

Wermacht=Armed Forces in german basicly.
    Landser is the german name for infantry. Naming the unit Wermacht would be equivalent of naming an American infantry unit "Army". While it's a matter of opinion it would seem strange to name a unit after the entire organization it belonged to (in that case if you want to be consequent you should name all german land units "Wermacht").

2. wotan321

wotan321 Chieftain

I stand corrected. Thanks for educating me.

3. Crash757

Crash757 Chieftain

Mm, Landser... Reminds me that cool haterock band :band: :banana:

4. kodzi

kodzi civ4_ww2:1939

i have small question, anybody want to help us with translate mod for difrent laugage?, becuse mod ww2:1939 destintaion will be in two language: english and Polish, if you can speak german, french or spanish and any can help us mayby this mod will be with many difrent lanugae version.

5. Paasky

Paasky Good News Everyone!

Hmm... Are all of these gfx available here, or will they be at some point?

Looks like a good scenario, hopefully the map won't be too huge...

6. asioasioasio

asioasioasio Fallout Scrubber

90% of this graphics is available here on fanatics
    some are reskinned by kodzi and T-26 is my new unit not published yet

@Henrik, wotan 321, Crash 757
    Yes wehrmacht isn't the best name for german infantry it'll be corrected
    and abouts vassals - i didn't played warlords yet so it's hard to say how it's gonna wrong
    we want the game more realistic but nothing could stop great britain fighting with 3reich against soviet union. You can play yor own history - soviet union could drop first atom bomb on london (uhhhm maybe it isn't to politicly corrected nowadays:sad:)

7. wotan321

wotan321 Chieftain

This sounds fantastic. I second Paasky's suggestion you don't make the map overly-large, the late game lag-times are really annoying.

I haven't seen the barrier artwork such as trenches and barbed wire on the board either.

Are you planning to posts for beta versions for us to play-test? Our altruistic natures make us want to help......<g>

8. jimkatalanos

jimkatalanos F.C. BARCELONA

This is mod is awesome!!!

9. jimkatalanos

jimkatalanos F.C. BARCELONA

This mod is awesome!!!

10. asioasioasio

yes of course it will be distributed for beta testing :)

thx for oppinions :)
    first scenario will be on medium map :)

yes kodzi made improvments for this mod :)
    we're trying to make all needed things for the mod cause to few people are making 3d graphics :(

11. kodzi

hehee, :cool:

12. wotan321

wotan321 Chieftain

And of course, no real WW2 Europe scenario would be complete without some new art for the Ju-88 multi-purpose bomber/night fighter. (Hint, hint). Yep, that sure would make the game.

13. asioasioasio

ok :) so Ju-88 is next target :)

14. Grey Fox

Grey Fox Master of Points

Looks cool ^_^

15. asioasioasio

I've added techtree in the second post :)

16. MaxRiga

MaxRiga Chieftain

keep working guys, hope u will make it good ;)
    ur tech tree is very impresed ;)

17. Hardner

Hardner Blitzkrieger

This project looks very promising. The techtree is awesome, but needs some rework here and there. Haven't found medium tanks in there:confused:
    For the infantry issue I would recommend to have two classes: Regular and Elite. For the germans it would be then the Wehrmacht and the WaffenSS. I'm getting a little angry people saying german infantry should be named 'Landser'. At first Landsers are single persons like a single soldier. You also say U.S. Army and not GI for Infantry;) Wehrmacht is a correct term for WWII german infantry! And isn't Landser also a racist's hate metal band? @Henrik: I can understand your point of view and I know that panzer divisions and anything else were parts of the Wehrmacht or the WaffenSS and that these are general terms for the complete armed forces. But in a common sense these kinda terms are used to describe just infantry nowadays. Probably you can name it like that: 'Wehrmacht Infantry" or "U.S. Army Infantry" Would sound much better than something like Landser.
    Also probably you could divert armoured units like that to have a 'Wehrmacht Koenigstiger" and a 'SS Koenigstiger'. Elite Units could have a national limit like spies or missionaries have. Just a few ideas;)

18. DarthCycle

DarthCycle WWII Freako

Looks interesting, you should provide more general information about what you're trying to achieve with the your mod.

1) unit scale and time scale

What does a unit represent? A platoon,a squad, a company, a division, a regiment, an army?

A turn will represent a week, a month, etc...

2) definition of Unit type

What unit type will your mod use? Armored, Infantry, Fighter, Bomber, etc... You need to define this.

3) promotion system

How does your promotion system completes the unit scale and the unit type? Does promotion reflects experience, equipement, doctrine or a combination of all this?

4) technology

I like the first version of your technology tree. You should add more doctrine (like blitzgrid). Doctrines should open new units and promotion.

Also, the introduction of separate (independant) bomber doctrines should add gameplay depth: tactical and strategic. It would force the player to make choices during the game like commiting to tactical doctrine (for germany) or strategic doctrine (for usa).

Also, think about the model you want to use for strategic bombing. Some ideas: only strategic bomber could destroy improvements, and they should be able to make cities loose points invested in production, making it take longer to build units. With efficient strategic bombings, you could make it near impossible (very long) to build units in targetted cities.

5) ressources

What model do you want to use for ressources. Do you plan to use the one ressource fits all as is the norm in CivIV or do you plan to try something else?

Any ideas for a supply model?

Any ideas for convoys model? You will probably need something like this if you plan to simulate the atlantic war with german u-boats.

I'll gladly propose and develop specific concepts and models. Just tell me what areas you want me to contribute.

19. REDY

REDY Duty Caller

It looks promising. 1)Do you chose map or you will make it? If you chose, which one?
    2)It may be hard make scenario realistic without USA and Commonwealth. I am not sure if its possible in civ4 something about wonders which autoproducing units like in civ3. And its hardly be realistic when you chose Poland as major power and play with them more than year;-)
    3)I am interested how you fill empty areas, especialy Spain, Balkan and Scandinavia? I think that neutrals and minor allies are needed...Barbarian cities or mountains are less realistic than Spain with Polish cavalry:)

20. kodzi

new screenshot from mod:

now we added units, all units is animated so its very big work with this, but is going forward.