1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

World War II 1939 - A Civilization IV Moddification

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by asioasioasio, Aug 10, 2006.

1. IrishDragon

IrishDragon Legend

How many nations are there going to be?
    Is the map just set in Europe or will there be parts of Africa/Asia
    Will Ireland be in it?
    Good Luck with the project

2. kodzi

kodzi civ4_ww2:1939

civilizations: (in first scenario)
    poland, France,UK,USSR,Third Reich,Italy

3. Splinter13

Splinter13 The Learner

This definitly looks really good, I hope you guys get a good team together and get this up and running as soon as possible.

I'd offer to join the team but i'm only a rookie to modding and only know the basics. I'm so stumped right now with all the problems i've been having in trying to start up my scenario so i'm pretty much giving up on that because it doesn't seem to be working for me.

I just have one question for the mod..

Will it be on Vanilla, Warlords... or possibly both?

Thanks and keep up the GREAT :goodjob: work.

EDIT: I'm also wondering... The truck unit, is that a combat unit or is that a land transport that would be able to pick up troops and move em' quikly across terrain?

If it's the second one, Great idea! I can't wait :D

4. asioasioasio

asioasioasio Fallout Scrubber

Thx for your opinions and questions :)

@ Hardner and Henrik
    Wehrmacht Infantry look the most suitable now i think :)
    Very good idea with limited elite units

@DarthCycle

Hmm rather division - as it's common in civ series
    A turn in normal will be one month but we consider making quick (2 months) epick (2 weeks) and marathon (1 week) timelines. game will start in september 1939 and end in december 1947
    LAND UNITS TYPES:
    - Infantry,
    - Airborne Infantry (i'm not sure how we're gonna do this unit - all my hope that warlords will bring this much needed unit have been burried lately :(),
    - Cavalry,
    - Motorized Infantry,
    - APC,
    - Tank,
    - Military Police,
    - Partisants,
    - Workers (with engineers, sappers - wich could also fight and forced labourer and worker)
    - Artillery (also rocket artillery)
    - Mobile Artillery (also rocket artillery)

AIR UNITS TYPES:
    - Missiles (flying bomb, ballistic missile, icbm)
    - Early Fighters
    - Early Bombers
    - Strategic Bombers
    - Tactical Bombers
    - Jet Fighters

WATER UNITS TYPES
    -The same as in civ4 vanilla

combination of this :)
    some goes with rising experience and discovering techs for example - after discovering recoilles guns your infantry units can get another bonus againts armoured vehicles, or after discovering acoustic torpedos your units will get possibility to get new promotions
    some goes with units for example mountain bonus for mountain infantry (of course after discovering mountain equipment tech) - every units will cost more but start with bonus in mountains and tundra :)

doctrines will affect civics and of course units and war tactics
    we're workin on civics now so perhaps the tech tree will be slitghly changed

Ressources - just vanilla except rubber i think - we'll probably add this
    I like the idea of suply/demand economy, but needs hardcoding
    supply model and convoys - a tough one - need good knowledge of python and we know only monthy python ;)
    so for suply demand economy supply lines and convoys we say yet "no", maybe we will find someone who could add it to the game
    ok i'll send you pm if we found something real tough :)

@REDY
    kodzi found one, but i also have some map making skills so this isn't a problem to make new one :)

lol if you can play on the easiest level - why not :D - it should be possible to conqer berlin then. I saw screenshots from hearts of iron conquered by polish blitzkrieg forces :)

About USA and Commonwealth -
    adding usa means making war on world maps -what means that europe will be very very small. so choosing map of europe it would be good to make it in other way:
    -proposition of wonder (national after discovering specific tech available only for allies) is very nice, but i'm not sure it could be available with xml editing.
    but
    - the second method (wich is also much interesting) is to make technology specific for allies - Lend & Lease (that germany couldn't develop this tech) wich allows for producing units for symbolic 1 hammer and adding for obvious reason limitiation of producing this units (like missionaries have - you can build only three of them) so at that time you could have only one motorized infantry, two tanks one fighter and two strategic bombers.

After speciffic time for example in 1943-1944 (after attack on pearl harobur and before normandy) other tech will be adding possibility to build newer and more usa units:
    2 infantries, 1 airborne, 1 motorized, 2 tanks, 1 fighter, 4 strategic bombers

all small nations will be added as neutrals (like it was in civ2 scenario) but adding spain needs reconsidering

@ Splinter13
    warlords - vanilla is very unstable and we have some problems with adding leaderheads (the vanilla civ4 crashes, warlords not). Besides warlords have seceral good ideas wich can be used in game.

just A unit - motorized infantry :)

I'll send you a pm, your help could come in handy even it's only basics :goodjob:

5. rhino78

rhino78 A Rhino....78

Do you need help with the Civilopedia. Because I can type full complete descriptions which might help plus I have tons of WWII books that can
    help.:sniper: :suicide:

6. REDY

REDY Duty Caller

Well its good, but civ2 could used only 7 civilizations. Sweden in war with Axis was only because it and I didnt like bombarding Stocholm:). Maybe minor allies and neutrals, because It looks strange when Poland has Belgrade and Athens(and what will be will be when Poland will be attacked by USSR:0) or France has Amsterdam or UK Norway. Maybe divide to Neutrals and minor allies is good solution, there are also lower possibilities with unique units (Dutch has soldiers in grassland comparize with Serbian partisans in mountains and forests).

7. asioasioasio

Yes you could help with civilopedia - for civics in beginning :)
    Do you know other than english language? :) maybe you could help with ranslating it? :)

I'll send you pm about books :)

@REDY - yes it needs reconsidering, we're gonna rethink it with kodzi

8. kodzi

News from BATTLEFIELD.

We have new units, completly NEW PARATROPPER, this units can be moved with special Air units.

9. Splinter13

Splinter13 The Learner

Cool, I'll be glad to help even if it is the basics. I'm sure i'll also learn some stuff from the pros :p

10. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

Does the AI know how to use the paratrooper?

11. Saketh

Saketh Brutal banana

I'm not certain if you'll need it, but I made a Hitler leader that you can use for this World War II project.

12. Splinter13

Splinter13 The Learner

It is possible you guys can do somthing like what Jon "Trip" Shafer did in his WW1 scenario for your "USA, Commenwealth" problem. He didn't have any cities for the americans he just had events that took place every few turns that would spawn American troops in Europe.

Just a thought.

PS.
    I can help a little bit with the french although i'm no expert in the french language. If you guys can't find a person who speaks fluent french then i'd be glad to help with basic french.

13. asioasioasio

ok thx :)
    about paratrooper - we have now some problems with adding units (not only paratroopers - when you choose to build unit in the city game crashes) to the game so we're not sure how ai use it

i must check Trip's scenario cause it would be nice idea with spawning units :)

i've send you pm

14. Tahuti

Tahuti Writing Deity

@Kodzi

How did you actually the flagpoles? Do you have an model file or something?

15. kodzi

hehe its top secret

>>>>> attahmet

Attached Files:

• flag.zip
      File size:
      28.9 KB
      Views:
  16. CivWarlord

CivWarlord Chieftain

Maybe this can help:

Wehrmacht refers to the German armed forces of WW2 ie: Heer (army), Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine and Waffen SS.

Schutze / Grenadier = Regular Infantry

Panzer Grenadier = Assault Troops

Sturmmann = Stormtroopers (this term was generally used for Waffen SS troopers)

Gebirgsjager = Mountain / Alpine troops

Fallschirmjager = Paratrooper

Festungs Grenadier = Garrison Troops

Artillerie = Artillery

Kanon / Kanonier = Cannon / Cannonier or artilleryman

The German equivalent for Territorial and/or Reserve army is Landswehr. The Infantry were called Landsturm or Landschutze.

17. asioasioasio

ok thx it will help :)

18. wotan321

wotan321 Chieftain

So what is the progress status on this great effort? Are we days? Weeks? Months from a playable/test mod?

19. asioasioasio

lol maybe uou'll play in september/october - hard to say now

20. woodelf

woodelf Bard

We need to :whipped: you guys into shape! The CFC wants to play this mod. ;)