1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

World War II 1939 - A Civilization IV Moddification

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by asioasioasio, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Splinter13

Splinter13 The Learner

Yes, I believe most of them are, some of them we took from other authors. The ones we've made I believe are all up if not I believe we are trying to get them up there.

2. asioasioasio

asioasioasio Fallout Scrubber

I'll put ju-88 to graphics section, but i have some issues with animations - only one propeller is turning. when i fix it i'll share wqith this model.

3. makke

makke Chieftain

I could help you with this mod too, if u need help. I could translate it to finnish. I also speak english and little bit Deutsch too. I am also really good on history (school number 10 :D ) and im intrested on WW2 subject. So i could help with text:s. :) I also have ideas which would make this mod even cooler. ;) I'll write few questions and ideas here:

- It would be cool if the trucks would be only for moving infantry from place to another. They would be cheap to build after making tank factory or ect. So it would be more realistic.

-You should add Anti-aircraft cannons and stuff. Flakk 88 for Germans. This one is good model i think: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=162204

-If u make mines put mineclearers in too. It would be nice if mines would'nt cost mutch, but minecleares would cost double.

-Maybe another version of Churchill tank too. Not desert one.

-What about adding Bismark battleship as unique unit for Third Reich? You could only buy one Bismark. Here's good model: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=183871

-Here is cool Panzer model too. Would be nice if you would add it on mod http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=147955

-What about new unique unit: Wardog? Since Nazis used those in WW2. I dont know if its hard to do one thought. Would be really cheap unit. And Strenght should be quite small(around 4) but would be really fast. Should be like it can't attack Citys. And all tank would have 100% against melee units(dogs).

-I like the idea of USA forces spawn in to the map. How often is that going to happend? Or how many times. And where are thoose going to spawn? Sea with Unit-transporters?

-Is the mod going to have some part of Africa? Because Nazis had the desert war with Rommel leading wehrmacht in Egypt and stuff. So maybe in future Egypt should be on map.

-What are the all the Civilizations which are going to be on mod in future? Would be cool if Finland would be on the mod. Finland fought against USSR in war. And Germany and Finland had some sort of armbrothers deal. Which was that Germany provided Finland with weapons. And Finland let the Germanys forces use the North Finland to move forces from Lappi(northest part of Finland) to Norway.

-What about adding Plane factorys on the mod too? Planes would cost mutch less if the city would have Planefactory built.

-Here's one great plane model for USSR:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=162033

I still got few one's left but i'll write them later. Sorry if there are typos on the text.

4. Splinter13

Splinter13 The Learner

Hey, You seem to know your stuff, and you do have some good ideas. I'm working on the mod although it's not my desision to have you helping. The main people doing this mod are Kodzi and Asioasioasio, They both live in poland so they usually come on from around 2am (eastern time 5h behind greenwich) to 4pm (same time zone)

I'm pretty sure most of the texts are completed and I'm not sure if we are going to have any other languages other than polish and english in v1.0 It's possible for other versions the crew will branch to other languages and maybe you could help there. Your ideas seem good though.

We are in need of some python editors so if you can write up python i'm sure they would be happy to add you to the project.

5. makke

makke Chieftain

Sorry im not python programmer. But im really fast writer so, i could turn the mod to finnish really fast. But i understand if you dont need third language to the mod in this point yet. I allways get ideas when ever i play games. So i got ideas ;) By the way what about adding pop ups on to the mod?

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=183126

It would be cool if like in 7. december 1941 pop up comes and says "Japan and USA are now in war. USA has now attended to World War. USA will send troops to help their allies Great Britain and France." And in June 1944 pop up comes and says that "american's have send troops to normandia" and then USA troops spawn on to the map. And ect.

Few tanks which would be nice to be included. The second one for USA forces which spawn in to the map:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=178198

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=175243

Also this would be really nice tiger ;)

http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=121730&d=1143805481

6. asioasioasio

yep this popup looks real interesting :)
    but the knowledge of python is very poor in this team :)

about models - yep we gonna use as much models as possible from this forum :)

and about finnish
    why not :) and how it's done it replace wich language french?
    or it's made as an additional language?

7. makke

makke Chieftain

I dont know. Do you have anyone on team who can turn the mod in french? If not it could replace french maybe? :) I know many people who would like to have finnish language ww2 mod :D So it would be nice. And later on maybe even finnish civilization? :p We finns fighted against USSR on war. And we kept our freedom against mutch bigger country with more troops and supplies than we had. That's why Hitler wanted to make Finland as German's allie. We had no choice than agree to the deal. We needed guns and stuff against USSR. I think it would be nice new civ. :) Leader would be Mannerheim famous finnish leader and president who was voted greatest Finnish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mannerheim

I also found really great mod which is Finland new civilization i could ask if he would like to attend to this great ww2 mod with adding this new civilization to it? :) Thought it's for vanilla civ IV so it could need little bit more work thought? Later on maybe to v. 1.1 =D

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=138084

But it's all up to you. Your mod anyway =)

Edit: Maybe you could ask the maker of the popup thread if he's intrested on helping with this? :)

8. asioasioasio

lol not mine, our :) mod ( i mean my, kodzi's and nowadays also splinter)
    about the french - it's replaced already by polish :D

yep finland should be in the game (i know history quite well to know how you kicked soviets in and after the winter war :))
    but it needs creating new leaderhead and a bunch of new units
    so it'll appear in next part of the mod - scenario with bigger map

we wan't to work pure xml to work it first (it needs good clinning and some corrections - but it doesn't crash the game and make errors on the beginning, so it isn't so bad)

i don't havea nything against translating it to finnish (in fact i think it's good idea:) - when the game would come in beta testing phase you may add finnish translation

9. makke

makke Chieftain

Okey. Cool man :)

Edit: new pics soon? :p

10. TheJopa

TheJopa Šumar

My 2 cents:
    You might hear complains about swastika graphics but IMO dont remove it. Be as real as possible. You are doing it for free anyway.

You might replace 'standard' promotions such as drill, city garrison to anti-air brigade, motorized, desert equipment, engineer brigade, supply vehicle, light artillery brigade (Just brainstorming here, and with warlords you can even add graphic for these promotions, but it's long way down the road)

I can provide some write up for nations or events once beta comes out. How large is map? (Just Europe? Is USSR up to Leningrad/Moscow/Dnieprovsk line or Stalingrad/Archangelsk line? In northerna Africa in?)
    If you need civic ideas, yust say.

11. Splinter13

Splinter13 The Learner

hey, thanks for your two cents :)

Yes, About the promotions and civics, they are both coming along nicely.We've added in about 40 brand new promotions. The civics are coming along well too. We are nearly complete them aswell, but they are changing as better, new ideas arise. All thoughts and ideas are greatly appriciated, so please share your info.

The map is just europe, for now we arn't going to add in North America or any of the pacific, thats what it will be like for now atleast. We may branch out to more of a large map for later versions but for now we are just going to stick to Europe. (The problem is that europe is too small on a world scale, In WWII this is where most of the action took place this is why we are focusing on it for the time being.)

I don't know where the map is exactly going to end (City wise). But all I know about the map is what I said in the above paragraph.

Talk to Asioasioasio or Kodzi when they come on because they know a lot more than I do :p.

Splinter13

12. asioasioasio

@Makke
    Yep some new picks should be appear this or next week :)

@TheJopa
    About those swasticks - they will stay. This mod is free, it isn't created like something what marbleized the war and politicians and some ideologies. It won't be politiclly corrected mod either. We can't forget about holocaust, first use of nuclear weapon, stalinist terror, solding out the east europe in jalta and postdam (so lithuania, latvia, estonia, finland, romania, poland lost theire independence or some parts of territory, and few others fall under soviet zones of control). the war wasn't only happy riding with my tank through europe or paciffic or trying not to dy for your country but making some other bastard dying for his country. so the swasticks will left in game, and the same goes for nuclear weapons, stalinist terror and rasicm - to make it more realistic not to spread evil ideologies
    . maybe when we can figure out the pop-up sistem maybe there will be also conferences in teheran jalta and postdam and some other historical events

there's completly new system of promotion :)
    and about civics - almost ready, but xml isn't elastic enough to fit all ideas
    so we will change some civics or find the soplution in python and sdk :) not sure what will be first ;)

of course it's good time for give new propositions now :)

i didn't saw map yet (kodzi was carrying about getting map :)), but i think stalingrad/archangielsk line is the best choice. of course with some tweaking in maintance cost (one of the things wich keeps me away from building empires in civ4 is maintance cost - it will be reduced to make game more aggressive)

13. TheJopa

TheJopa Šumar

Thanks to responses :)
    Well I know, I don't want america and japan in (for the reasons you named, and game being too slow if you create huge map) I was asking about Northern Africa :)

@Asioasioasio: Yea, keep historical accuracy and keep everything contoversal in. But about lowering city maintenance cost: It is maybe not a good idea when you want to invade USSR. With reducing city maintenances, overrunning USSR would be to easy. Of course, in this mod you must be as aggresive as possible, so it a tough one. But we will see once beta comes out, balancing is not priority now. I would really like events, like in hearts of iron 2 or desert war mod. I think these will be a must later on (For American intervention and USA Lend-leases and USSR mobilization etc. It is actually easiest way to do them)

14. wotan321

wotan321 Chieftain

Are you still planning on releasing the Ju-88 graphics?

Are you planning to add Dale's Combat features, that allow bombard and missiles?

15. asioasioasio

on both questions yes :)

about ju-88 - need more time to fix animations - i must create new one for new type off units - with tanks it's now quite automated (i've just merge animations so adding new animations to armored units take only half on hour - what is a drop in 10-20 h - time needed to create new unit), but ju-88 is my first airplane and needs a more time to create new animations

when i'll have animations for airplanes it would be much easier ;)

16. wotan321

wotan321 Chieftain

Great news.

What other mod components are you working into the Mod?

17. asioasioasio

@ The Joopa - there will be on map northern africa ( jus to the lign of south egipt

yep that's not the best moment to balacing - we will se what to do with maintance cost :)

@Wotan321 - still not sure. We hope we could someone get to the team who knows python well. i didn't tested it but probably there will be iplemented those mods component correcting atom boms usage

18. Splinter13

Splinter13 The Learner

19. asioasioasio

Good job Splinter 13 with this unit :)

20. knigh+

knigh+ .

Few thoughts about neutrals...

I think you absolutely have to have Spain and Turkey, as both of these countries had Poland-sized armies, and throughout the war Turkey was subject to vigorous diplomatic tug of war between the two sides. In the end Turkey preserved its neutrality, but this does not mean it (or Spain) wouldn't shift the balance of power in the case of joining one of the sides. Having at least some of the stronger neutrals would add a fun diplomatic aspect to an otherwise zero-diplomacy scenario, making it more realistic.

On an afterthought, Sweden and Finland deserve individual places too. And maybe on the next level, Yugoslavia and Greece.

I guess Hungary + Slovakia + Romania + Bulgaria can be bundled up into a "Danube countries" civ, which would start "pleased" with the reich. And baltic states can be controlled by Finland AI to reduce number of civs.

These minor civs - since they are minor - wouldn't need the great variety of units you are cheerfully making for the greater powers. Just the generic civ units would serve the purpose. So they shouldn't be as much work as you think.

I think having these minors would greatly improve your scenario, as it would force the player to make strategic decisions (should I invade this country or try to bribe it) on top of tactical ones (which enemy city should I attack first).