1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

World War II European Front

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by Nexxo, Nov 5, 2011.

1. smirnoff

smirnoff Crusader

what version you use ? Xp, win7 or vista

because this is where you suppose to put your folder, i use Win7 so it will look like this
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Infogrames Interactive\Civilization III\Conquests\Scenarios

can you share yours where you put the folder in civ3 game

As for the 'Conquest No raze patch' , you need to put in the main Conquest Folder
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Infogrames Interactive\Civilization III\Conquests
    ,but before doing that make sure you do a backup of your Game Application and put it somewhere just in case

2. Nexxo

Nexxo Chieftain

No Raze patch is use only to start game and it need to be in main conquest folded.
    Do you have all patches? Me too couldn't start game without them if game have different graphic like new terrain. You can download all patches in Download database under section Civiliztion 3.

3. Civnutplayer

Civnutplayer Chieftain

This is really frustrating for me, so I appreciate you're taking the time to guide me step-by-step to see what on Earth I'm doing wrong.

In answer to your questions: I use Windows XP on a 10-year old Dell Computer, on which I play the fully boxed set of "Sid Meiers Civilization III Complete." I know it works, as I can play the conquests that come with the game, as well as a pretty lame map I've been putzing around with by myself.

As to the file locations: here is how the game is installed on my computer:

C:\ProgramFile\FiraxisGames\CivilizationComplete\Conquests

In that file, there is a folder and a .biq map for each one of the conquests. (The only exception being the map I made myself, which isn't really a sceanario; it is just a way for me to cheat without cheating until I learn how to make maps and scenarios.)

I've checked the file folder ...\Conquests, and it has both the folder "WWII European Front" and the .biq map file.

I can start select the game, but the minute I select Germany, I get the following dialogue message:

"Art/Flics/Hitler_T.flx" File Not Found.....The Game Will Now Exit.
    Does any of this information help you to figure out what I've obviously done wrong? I hope so, for as I said to Nexxo, I loved the WWII scenario from CIV II all the way back 16 years ago, in 1996. And his version from 2010 sounds far more challenging and interesting.:confused:

If you can help me out at all, I'd really appreciate it. Sorry to not be as good with programming as it seems most of the diehard games here are (I'm a diehard gamer; I just don't know as much about programming language, but I'll save those questions for another series of posts.)

Again, thanks for all your help. I hope I can follow your instructions and get to play the scenario.:)

4. Nexxo

Nexxo Chieftain

If that error shows at 30% during loading scenario when you choose civilization then I'm sure that you need all patches. I have similar problem when I try to start Great War and I was unable until i upload all patches(Civ3 Conquests v1.22, Civilization III Patch v1.29f (English), Play the World Patch v1.27f (US). Now I don't know if all of them are needed, but it works for me. Any other way that sceanrio don't work on excatly 30% when loading would mean that scenario don't work which cannot be because I start scenario almost everyday to test something.
    Any possible explanation besade this is if you open Biq then when saving biq can something happend to delete starting date, source folder for scenario and few more stuff.
    In that case is better to DL Biq again.

5. Civnutplayer

Civnutplayer Chieftain

Nexxo -- help!

Thanks for explicity naming the three patches you used and that I need to run your scenario. I'll admit, I was a bit worried about installing them, after I'd read some negative feedback by other posters. But I thought: why not? The worst case, I'll have to uninstall the entire CIV III game and re-install it, so nothing ventured, nothing gained.:)

Downloaded and installed all 3 patches. Tested out CIV III on the (lame) map I've been playing for nearly 3 years now. No problems, no crashes, nothing anyone who'd posted negative feedback about those patches happened.

I thought "Great! Now I can run Nexxo's WWII scenario." No dice. So I then took your second suggestion: deleted the .big file I downloaded Friday night, and re-downloaded it tonight. (Aside: last night, it took over 30 minutes; tonight, it took less than 10 seconds. I wonder if that is due to those 3 patches?)

Anyway, I then copied it over to the conquests folder, loaded the game, saw the file name, loaded it, the initial country selection menu popped up, and as has been the problem for me since last night, the minute I selected Germany, I got that same blah message about "Art\Flics\Hitler_T.flc" File Not Found....The Game Will Exit now.

Any ideas?

From what I've read of your very helpful posts, I've done everything according to what should make the scenario run.

I know in the big scheme of life, such an irritation as this (to me) is nothing. But you did go to all that work, after all, to let other hardcore CIV players such as me enjoy your work. I'd just like to try that.

Any ideas from you and I'd love to hear them.

Thanks for all your patience and help, Nexxo.

Civnutplayer.:confused:

6. Nexxo

Nexxo Chieftain

Only two things that cross my mind are:
    Check main folder of scenario to be sure that you don't have Europe+America folder inside Europe+America main folder and open Biq and check scenario properties to see if under scenario search folder show name Europe+America. That are only things that can have that effect which you describe. Also check main folder/art/flics/Hitler_T.flc to see if there is Hitler_T.flc.

7. Civnutplayer

Civnutplayer Chieftain

Believe me, Nexxo, I am far more frustrated at not being able to use your cool-looking scenario than I (hope you're not) at answering questions you might find silly.

First, on all the scenarios that came with the CIV boxed set, from Age of Discoveries to Rise of Rome, etc, I notice inside the Conquests folder, there are only 2 folders for each: Art and Text.

Second, as I know nothing about user generated scenarios, I assume the use of additional folders under the "title folder" (WWII -- European Front) inside of the Conquest folder is necessary to let the game run.

Third, while I do have an "Art" folder that got extracted with 7-Zip, it is Empty From what you've said, this doesn't sound correct. Is this evidence right away of a problem?

Fourth, I checked inside the Flics Folder, and there is a file named "Hitler_T.flc" located there.

Finally, how do I "open" the .biq file, and search it to check for the names you suggested?

I really appreciate the help you've given me, and I really look forward to being able to successfully install 100% your scenario (and have fun playing it

Thanks again,

Civnutplayer.

8. Nexxo

Nexxo Chieftain

Open Biq with double click with left button on mouse to get open Biq and then look for Scenario properties which is in top middle of screen. Then you must have under Scenario Search Folder written World War II Europe+America like in this image.

Attached Files:

9. Civnutplayer

Civnutplayer Chieftain

Hi, Nexxo. I feel as if we know each other, this silly problem I've had in getting your cool-looking scenairo has caused me to ask you so many questions. I appreciate all of your answers. I haven't had the chance to follow the instructions you gave, helped by the image. Thanks a lot; I'll let you know how that turns out.:)

BUT I HAVE A FOLLOW-UP QUESTION

What about the empty Art Folder that came with your compressed scenario, once I used 7-ZIP to extract it? There is the Hitler...flc file you asked about, but it bothers me there is that empty Art folder.

Should I be concerned about this?

All of this, just so I can download, along with lots of other Civ Fanatics players who've downloaded the work you spent so much time creating, and so I can have fun playing your scenario, just as they did. (Once I get it successfully installed, I'll be sure to let you know how well I do.):)

Thanks again,

Civnutplayer

10. Nexxo

Nexxo Chieftain

Art folder must be more then 800 mb for that version. Do you have WinRaR? Maybe this is problem. I compressed files with that program. You can get version WinRaR for 30 day to try it for free.

11. Atoll

Atoll Chieftain

I've just downloaded your great scenario & started as Nazi Germany. To be honest, i was pleasantly surprised by loading time (1-2 minutes instead of 20-30, what i expected). That's great :)

One strange thing I noticed is that very good German unit PanzerJager (9/6/2) costs only 24 shields (!!!) , while even the German Infantry (6/6/1) costs 60 shields. Not sure it should be this way... Maybe it's a trifle, but still...

12. Nexxo

Nexxo Chieftain

Well Panzerjager was light armored tank destroyer with 47 mm cannon. That type of unit is develop as cheap unit with great firepower. The cost came from game Panzer General as all other stuff like unit stats. I'm thinking to take one o two hit points of all tank destroyers with open hull like this. Maybe I could change cost because the Panzer general game have few units that are cheap like panzer 1 ausf b which cost also 24 shields and Italian semovente with 47 mm which cost 12 shields. I change cost of that Semovente because I thought that it is way too cheap so maybe I make that whit this one.

13. Civnutplayer

Civnutplayer Chieftain

Hi, Nexxo.

I know I can download sceanarios and successfully install them on my version of CIV III. I did this with Michelo's WWII conversion from CIV II to CIV III, and it works just fiine. (I haven't played it yet, but all features -- graphics, sounds, etc, work fine.) So I know it's not a problem w/my computer, as I'd feared.

Now, thanks for letting me know about Win RAR.

I unzipped your main file using 7-ZIP. Forgive what might sound like a stupid question, but is that the most likely problem I'm having? I simply need to unzip your main download file using WinRAR?

Because that would be great! And then, I can have fun playing your scenario, and even give you my (rather unimportant) feedback.

Again, thanks for all the time you've given to answer my newbie questions. All I know is I have always loved playing CIV since Civ II in 1996, and I discovered this site last week while seeking a cheat that would let me see the entire game world, as they let you do in CIV II.

I guess that cheat doesn't exist for CIV III, but since this site is so cool, I really don't care.

I look forward to downloading and playing lots of scenarios and maps and asking questions about how one goes about creating these. I still have a few days left on my probation, so I'll hold off on all those questions.

If I simply need to download for a 30 day free trial period and install and use Win RAR to extract your main files, that would be great.

Please let me know if based upon everything I've tried to tell you you believe that is now the most likely problem. Then I'll be happy, and you can go back to creating scenarios and such.

thanks,

Civnutplayer

14. Nexxo

Nexxo Chieftain

Everyone with winrar was able to dl scenario without problems. I never use 7-ZIP so I don't know is that problem but you can try dl with winrar.
    I belive that this is most likely problem. Its most important that you DL entire scenario which this unzip version should have around 800mb and if something is still wrong then I can guide you step by step because I do same thing few years ago when I was newbie.;)

15. Civnutplayer

Civnutplayer Chieftain

Hi again, Nexxo. First the good news. WIN Rar extract file program did the job. I was able to extract and install the compressed file into the Conquests Folder of CIV all the content you created.

The game let me select the Nazi Germans, and it started going thru the configuration process, but then it froze at about 75% to 80%, under the section "configuring scenario," forcing me to cue CTL-ALT-DEL to get out of CIV III.

I checked the .biq file (which I deleted and downloaded again, just to start on as clean a file as possible, and I noticed some peculiarities.

For example, the file name you asked me to check under Scenario Properties is fine.

But the box for Time Options on my downloaded .biq file is unchecked, and the box "retain culture on capture" is checked.

Based solely upon the image you captured and displayed with your earlier answer, it looks as if something weird happened to my .biq file, yet I downloaded it from the Atomic Gamer Site, just as directed.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Civnutplayer.

16. Nexxo

Nexxo Chieftain

The game didn't eject you out? Then maybe on your PC it took longer time to configure scenario.
    How long did you wait before you exit? The sometimes waiting period can be longer for many reasons. For some scenarios you can wait to the 30 minutes. I advise that you wait to see if game will force you to quit.

17. Civnutplayer

Civnutplayer Chieftain

You obviously know your computer software and hardware far better than I do, Nexxo, but I gotta tell you: 30 minutes for any program to load sounds like an awfully long time. (I'm not criticizing your program, only stating that as a newbie, I find that rather unlikely.)

When I have 30 minutes to "waste" on just letting your scenario try to fully configure on my computer, I'll give it a whirl. I hope it works.

For what it's worth, here are the facts of my computer:

Dell from 2002, I think. Windows XP, Service Pack 3, Intel Pentium 4 CPU, 3 GHx, 512 RAM.

I've had lots of tech support people, from both gaming sites as well as office productivity sites, suggest my biggest problem is that RAM: they believe if I added RAM, then I'd have far fewer problems.

I am saving to buy a new HP desktop tower for purchase sometime in the spring of 2013; can't afford it until then. I'll get a dedicated NVidia Graphics Card, at least 3 GB RAM, and obviously, a newer and hence faster CPU. I might just have to wait until then to try out your cool looking scenario.

As I said, I'll try waiting 30 minutes, even though as a newbie, that sounds to me as if there is some kind of bug. I've come this far, with your help (thanks!):), so I might as well go the distance.

Appreciate all your help.

Civnutplayer

18. Civnutplayer

Civnutplayer Chieftain

Nexxo, I placed all the correct files and maps in their correct spots and started the game. It took less than ten minutes to fully load, so (as has been the case all along so far!) you were correct. I simply needed to be patient.:blush:

I didn't try to play it yet, as I have lots of filing work to do around my apartment, but I do look forward to playing it. It's not what I'd expected (probably because I didn't fully read the description). I had thought it would start in May 1940, not May 1941. That changes everything, of course.

I'm going to try to play the Nazis, as their position really is the weakest at that point, even though they have the largest land under control and the greatest number of units. As history proves however, they never again can produce enough units to maintain thier mistaken three front war.

Thanks again for all your patience in answering my questions, and in suggesting I try WIN rar. I might even buy the full user copy, it looks that good.

Civnutplayer:D

19. Nexxo

Nexxo Chieftain

Great, I'm glad that I could help you.
    I decide to start game before operation Barbarossa because its maybe hardest challenge both for Germans and Soviets.
    I'm currently working on extended version which would be even hardest for human player.

20. Civnutplayer

Civnutplayer Chieftain

Forgive what might strike you as a completely stupid question, but as the whole point of computer game playing, especially for hard core gamers -- even ones such as me who don't yet know all the computer programming language -- is to have fun, right?

so, is there any "right way" to play your WWII European Front Scenario? Or would that be giving away your thinking, and thus take away the fun for me to learn it by repeatedly playing it different ways?

Anyway, thanks a bunch for putting it up there and for guiding me to finally get it successfuly installed.

My next series of questions -- after my probation ends Wednesday -- will be: how do I make my own scenarios, at first for my own test play use, and then....maybe, for upload to this board.

Civnutplayer