WORLD WAR II Scenario (Worldmap)

Hey.
I have just started my Japan game at demigod level and it took me two hours to play two turns. So not a lot to report yet but i thought I might as well.

In the first turn, I managed to take Canton, Fuzhou, Sian, Hanoi, Hue, Cebu, and Davao. I did not lose any units in the first turn so I got pretty lucky there.
The German AI has destroyed Poland and Yugoslavia and has taken Calais and Dijon in France. Warsaw has been razed - don't know who did it though.

In the second turn, I have taken Menado, Manilla, Saigon, and Hong Kong. Here I have lost one Yokosuka SNLF but that's about it. I am yet to give the AI its turn, although I won't be giving it tonight.

I did have some comments to make:
1) I don't think the Chinese infantry should be as powerful as the Japanese. They should be much weaker. Perhaps 5/7/1 is a better stats for them.
2) The British infantry should also be a bit weaker than the Japanese I think. Maybe 12/11/1.
3) I see that Japan has rubber and oil resources in its mainland. But they had to declare war on the States because the US had put an oil and perhaps rubber embargo on them. I don't think the Japanese mainland has any oil or rubber sources at all. It also removes the strategic importance of the Phillipines and the Dutch controlled Borneo islands since Japan doesn't need to control these islands to supply its military with oil and rubber. Perhaps you should totally remove these resources from any Japanese held cities at the start of the scenario so that the Japanese player will be forced to conquer the Phillipines and Borneo as quickly as possible. This will also be a lot closer to history.

I won't be able to give too many reports on my game primarily because it takes so much time between turns. Hopefully it'll get better as the game progresses and some contries are destroyed. Let's hope for the best.

@ Eaglefox :

-the first 3 turns take really long, because a lot of cities are taken or razed.
-you are totally right about the oil and rubber japan.(this is historically not right) i think i will place some oil and rubber at least on the philipines and remove them from their mainland. In fact these two strategic resources should be available on Borneo. But if japan is AI played they will only manage to take the Philipines for a long time.
that why we often thought about changing the starting options (like units, resources etc.) for each nation if it is in "Human Hands".
that means there should be a WWII japan biq. and a WWII germany biq. and so on. Just to make it heavier and more realistic for humans to play each nation.
The AI is a big problem here since your are not able to give them priorities or goals.
The same story about germany. In the beginning they had resources f.ex. oil.
(mainly imports)
But later they had an immense lack of oil. Its a pity that you cannot edit that a special oil resource will exhaust to a specified date.

whatever we will see.
hopefully the AI will improve a lot in CIV IV.

thanks for commments, grumbL

gRUmbL:
I understand your point perfectly well and also very much hope that the AI in Civ IV will be better - MUCH BETTER! Also I guess the editor needs to have more detailed options especially when people start making specific scenarios that had a specific pattern of events that were all linked to each other. Unfortunately we can't change anything about the AI so I guess awarding the AI rubber and oil for its incompetence is probably the only option. And perhaps designing scenarios for particular countries, Germany and Japan as you mentioned, is the best option we might have with Civ3.

Your scenario nonetheless is great and commendable.
Thanks.

How about posting save files after first 3 turns ? At least for major sides ? (US, Germany, Britain, Soviet)

I was wondering if it might be possible to create a wonder say ( strategic reserve) that would expire on a certain date or something like that, that would allow countries like germany and japan to have necassary resourses for initial production and then cease production when reserve runs out?

@ Guardian The download action is no more a problem (now we got a nice 50kb download THX for your support!!! :goodjob: The thing with the wonder. Hmm i dont think thats it possible with this civeditor :( , cause the wonder (if it`s build has got the production . To cancel an wonder production, is the only way, (i see at the moment) to let it be obsolete, cause is it build one time it produces the unit u choosed within the editor. And if the resource runs out or not is no importend.
Greets Hulk :nuke:`

to own: :blush: If u set up an game it will take maybe to one and ahalf hour to set it up. Have a looooooong breakfast ... so there it is ;)
hulk

@VW Claymore u mean to set up an game ?? i mean a savegame needs 90 sec. is this sooo long?

The loading bar (scenario loading) freezes, after i launched the game. I tried to be patient, but the task manager showed me, that CivConquest crashed! Yea, whats about a sav-file after a turn..? Sounds to be the only save way to start the game! :rolleyes:

Civ always crashes if you start the task manager.

I have figured this thing out, what you do is play some other civ game, then before you go to bed, start loading this scenario. Once completed, the first 3 turns will take forever, then they will get pretty fast. DO NOT PRESS CRTL ALT DELETE!

This scenario rocks. It's fun to be the US, build nine armies, 100 marines and 100 150mm howitzers. Can you say "D-day?"

:sad: I really enjoy this scenerio (however it takes FOREVER to load ) and it has locked up now twice, when I take Warsaw and in another battle (when I had anamations on) Is this gonna continue to happen, do u have any suggestions?

I hate to invest another 45mins in waiting for it load again, only to lock up again right away.

Let me know--

thx folks..

it is totally right that this scenario takes too long. :cry:
Indeed (like own posted) the first 3 turns will take very long, but then its getting faster.

reasons for long loading times:
-If you take cities and their tadenetwork collapses.
-The AI takes a city.
-A harbor or airport is destroyed through bombardment.
-too much resources (strategic and luxury) available.
(tried to reduce them, but its a pity)
-too much units and unit movement.(minor problem)
-too many diplomatic agreements between AI players.(thats why tradeembargoes, alliances and mutuals are no longer available in this scenario)
-too slow computer (RAM and Processor)
-forgot to press CAPSLOCK after ur turn! ;)
-anything left?

greetings, grumbl

PS: Bugeater u mean it takes 45min to load a saved game...i cannot believe this. :eek: ( on my computer it takes about 4 minutes to load a saved game and my machine isnt uptodate!)

It takes me about 45minutes to load the scenerio, but if you are telling me it only takes about 4mins to load a game that is encouraging, and I will play some more. I did not know this, why would it take a TON shorter to load a saved game, wouldn't it have a all the same info to process ??

Thank you. (this scenerio seems AWESOME!!)

I loaded up this scenerio (again) and waited 45mins for it to load. Then I saved the game which only takes about 1 minute to load which is much nicer and much more playable. However, I have a problem in the fact that when I take Warsaw (I am the Nazis) the game locks up. When I press ctrl-atl-delete it shows CivIII going with the note (not responding). Is there anyway around this? Also this is the first and ONLY city I have taken so is this going to happen if I take any city ? Please let me know if anyone knows.

As far as the gameplay, I have no comments as of yet although I am impressed with the detailed work that has gone into it.

Only thing I can think of that I would prefer is to have Germany and Italy combined into one nation. In World War II, after hostilities began Italy was basically a pawn of Hitler doing his wishes. With the limited diplomacy on Civ3, one cannot delve into the real possiblities of the Berlin-Rome Axis, as during the war.

Thank you, and I really enjoy this website :D

Top Bottom