World War Wolfshanze (1784AD)

I tried it, and unfortunatly it doesn't. Not sure why, it might be because WolfRevolution only has a 34 civ dll, and this scenario has a 39 civs, not sure really. I've PMed Blitz though, asking if he could port over this scenario to WolfRevolution, if he does, it'll be included int the WolfRevolution as one of the scenarios, and thrown in in the next version patch. Course if anyone who knows how to port over scenarios does it, I'd be extatic, and the scenario would definatly be included in the main WolfRevolution mod and any subsequent patch. Also really interested in a 1066 AD scenario to include.

First of all, great job blitzer, I see you've done alot of work on this one.

I played a few turns with the Dutch (2.84 WS). Very unusal starting position for me, with just one main city and a bunch of colonies that were slightly developed. Without the lack of corruption the empire would collapse from distance from palace right away, but even so this is a huge drawback to the dutch and development was slow.

The poitics of the game worked fairly well, with no nation getting too much ahead too soon. The only weird thing was that many weaker civs, often 3rd world became vassals to the powers very quickly - brtian and france mostly. And when the war breaked out it became a small napoleonic world war where nations like Sioux and Burma were involved.

Trade worked in my favour though, and by getting open borders with everyone I could, trade my resources as best I could, I got up the score list fairly rapidly. My militairy might was but a joke, except for a strong navy (but no iron to make more). Privateers save my day, as they brought in tons of cash by plundering sea resources and blockading. I thought they would be useless because of Frigates and Men at War, but it did take most powers a long time to respond as I ravaged their colonies.

That was good, as the french could have easily taken Amsterdam the first few rounds, but after capturing the city to the south they concentrated on the war against england, portugal etc.

What suprises me in this scenario is the power of the third world - Japan is no suprise but Vietnam, Burma, the Pakistani and Indians was from the start able to field alot of musketmen and knights or even better. They even had the ability to build advanced wooden ships almost from the start so I don't see how the Europeans, unless played by humans, have that much advantage over the asians.

So around 1817 now and I had to DoW Prussia as they captured the second Indepenent city close to me and culture-bombed it.. meaning I lost my iron yet again and Amster was limited to coastal tiles. Good luck Austria was in the war and distracted them, or I might have trouble with just 7 riflemen, 4 cannons and 2 cavalry... still I got two of their westmost cities and got a peace treaty. God thing, as I don't want a unified Germany just yet.

Then Spain backstabbed me, going through france to capture my german city (Cologne but different name in the game... Karlsrohe?). Luckily most of their units remained on french soil, so when I got Napoleon to break trade with Carlos his forces were stranded and I retook it easily. The fight continued overseas in the Americas, but neither of us had the manpower to actualy do much else than pillage.

Tech wise I'm doing ok, but the Brits have really taken the lead, getting SciT, Steam Power, Communism and Physics before me. Good thing Airships require Oil now...

Anyway, cool scenario and it will be exiting to sea if I can take on the major powers soon (Britain, France and Turkey), but I'm afraid time passes too quickly for me to build up nicely and there are just sooo many buildings I need (Dikes for example!).

Blitz, just curious on weather or not you've decided on what you're next master peice will be yet. I am still enjoying it, and am currently fighting to keep myself independant as America. It seems that the Indians build up their military quite quickly.

Erm, the scenario crashes after about 6 or 7 turns. I guess it's got something to do with the amount of nations in the game but I thought it'd just slow down, not crash. Can anyone help me get what looks like a great mod working? Thanks :)

Erm, the scenario crashes after about 6 or 7 turns. I guess it's got something to do with the amount of nations in the game but I thought it'd just slow down, not crash. Can anyone help me get what looks like a great mod working? Thanks :)

It crashes for me as well, but after 50 turns not 6! You should check your system, this mod requires alot of RAM to pull off. With 2 GB the game always seems to crash alot in the late 1800s, but I save and load if needed. Check out the tips on deleting the game's Cache prior to loading the game, I can't be sure but maybe it helps.

On another note, now I play USA as well and it's an even more fun game than the United Netherlands (UN? lol.). Your "empire" is small but consolidated, and you need to expand rapidly if you want to succeed.

I started by taking the nearby independent indian settlements before the Mexicans and Indians could, modernized much of my army into grenadiers and built more cannon. These forces easily defeated the numerous dog soldiers, and hardly with any losses.

I had planned to attack the Sioux soon after, but of course the Brits protected them as a vassals. Thus I expanded around them, all the way into Arizona, hemming both them and Mexico. Later on I Dowed the latter, taking Houston and Chihuaua. Of course this dragged me into war with Spain and her other colonies, so I razed the "Spanish Main", conqured Cuba and defeated spain at sea, forcing them to accept peace and war reperations. Standing Bear was relatively easy to conquer as he had mostly longbows and some muskets while I had Arty, Riflemen and Cavalry.

To make a long story short, I expanded almost historically (but much quicker as technoogy advances too fast in this scenario)

Now at the late 1800s I have fought a war against Britain with modern weapons. It was long and hard but I conquered Canada and weakened Britain at sea (thanks to their lack of oil). Now after a quick war with Denmark-Norway (got dragged in after accepting Peru as vassal) I'm preparing an air war against UK, which is going to be hard as we both have Jet Fighters.. I hope those B52s will make a difference, as well as my Navy Seals.

Conclusion: Challenging game, but UK seems OP as each game they are miles beyond everyone except Holland in tech. I think the reason is their "Collossus that doesen't expire+ super navy" - wonder and the size of their empire (especially GB itself is vastly oversized compared to RL).

The scenario would be better with:

1.Some rebalancing of civs (Nerf UK somewhat, boost US and France. Maybe something to prevent Russia from being gobbled up by China, Mongolia and Poland. Prussia also seem unable to become anything like WW1 Germany even after conquering the other german cities and Vienna.

2. Time! The scenario advances too quickly in technology. Maybe a Marathon version? Or maybe more inflation to slow down the ecconomies a little, as that doesen't hit in until the post-modern age.

3. Tech trading to allow less advanced civs to catch up a bit? I can swear I'm still fighting Cuirassiers now that I have Heavy tanks and Mechanized infantry. This could backfire though, we do want some tech disparity between industrial and developing countries.

4. Some way to read score, with so many civs I can only see the last 10 or so civs in score, thus it's not easy to know which civ is in the lead. I had to guess using the tech diplo screen.

I agree with everything FriendoftheDork said. UK = powerhouse.

I had a great game as the Sioux. After several wars, I was able to take all of what is the USA in real life (except Houston), completely wiping out the USA of the game, and taking several cities from the Aztecs. My technology was contemporary with everyone except the Netherlands and the UK, but I got lucky with the Internet and got the Netherlands as one of the nations, so I was able to jump ahead of everyone in technologies only to realize that Space Race was disabled. "gg" Still, it was a fun game, especially when America vassalized to France and suddenly I was fighting a naval invasion involving Infantry and Early Tanks with my Riflemen and Cavalry.

Thanks Benjamin. Oh and I forgot to add: The only I managed to keep up with and eventually surpass UK was with Corporations. The expenses were huge (99 corp maintenence in New York alone!), but with 24 bonus production and 12 food from sushi that more than made up for it I think. Since your land is not as spread out as the colonial powers you can do without SP altogether and go nuts for corps. The amount of metals in the Americas is silly, and any nations will benefit from Sushi as seafood is super-abundant on the map.

some seriously great feedback, thanks guys! stuff to consider for the future version (sorry no time anytime soon). i admit i knowingly tried to give the UK more land :mischief: but its so hard to scale things and balance too... i wish i could balance the timeline / tech rate but i tried it slower and its worse... space race can always be enabled

sounds like re-adding the Vassals worked pretty good even if it's insane at turn 1

can you guys guess how many times my civ crashed trying to design that :lol: oh man... so many! 2 gb means nothing to the black memory hole - thanks Firaxis! pump out those new games while your last one doesn't work :rolleyes:

some seriously great feedback, thanks guys! stuff to consider for the future version (sorry no time anytime soon). i admit i knowingly tried to give the UK more land :mischief: but its so hard to scale things and balance too... i wish i could balance the timeline / tech rate but i tried it slower and its worse... space race can always be enabled

sounds like re-adding the Vassals worked pretty good even if it's insane at turn 1

can you guys guess how many times my civ crashed trying to design that :lol: oh man... so many! 2 gb means nothing to the black memory hole - thanks Firaxis! pump out those new games while your last one doesn't work :rolleyes:

Well giving Hawaii to Independent might not be a bad start... otherwise maybe not having Trafalgar Square being built already? Uk should be in a good position to get it first, otherwise maybe Holland gets it but their production is not great until their dikes are completed. It seems alot of nations build wonders with GEs in the first turns anway, I had trouble completing any wonder that is buildable in round 1.

Vassals are necessary for this kind of game, although yes round 1 is crazy as random small nations throw themselves at the feet of the greater empires.

Spain almost always loses her colonies... is it because of bad relations? If so, maybe souring the relations between UK and Ireland a bit so that revolts and wars can occur more often. Ireland has great relations with the nations that always seems to become their enemies through UK foreign policy.

Something to prevent Russia from being swamped by China, Korea, Mongolia and Poland (to name a few) could be nice. Turkey (Osmans) could do some destabilization as well, as it protects it's vassals a bit too good... no way you're going to see france invade Egypt for example, and thus Britain has no need to invade it in turn or play any role in Africa even in the 1900s.

But yeah great game, I'll see if I can finish my USA game but the next ones will probably be France, Prussia or UK.

I LOVE THIS SCENARIO !!!

- Russia is a bit to week in the east, it might be enough to give them one worker there and some more troops. russia is hard to balance as they grow strong fast

- India could also get a bit pushed, with england, france and portugal having colonies inside their borders they never grow. anyhow, this is a small problem that i just realized when i played them myself.

- Nort and South american continents is nicely balanced, in many games the US are not able to kick sioux ass as the sioux go under french protection but thats fine i suppose.

- prussia is a bit to week, maybe it would help to give them eisenach immediately at the start. they never managed to survive until you play them yourself ;-)

- ottomans are a powerhouse, two religions is to much, maybe move the christianity to rome? i think that would balance it a bit out and also give the italians some way to survive

- UK & Dutch are to strong (if played by computer) it would help to give one or two of their citys to independents.

anyhow, in general this is GREAT to play, i really love this secnario. i played as prussia, france, japan, india and now as china ... big fun!

I LOVE THIS SCENARIO !!!

- Russia is a bit to week in the east, it might be enough to give them one worker there and some more troops. russia is hard to balance as they grow strong fast

- India could also get a bit pushed, with england, france and portugal having colonies inside their borders they never grow. anyhow, this is a small problem that i just realized when i played them myself.

- Nort and South american continents is nicely balanced, in many games the US are not able to kick sioux ass as the sioux go under french protection but thats fine i suppose.

- prussia is a bit to week, maybe it would help to give them eisenach immediately at the start. they never managed to survive until you play them yourself ;-)

- ottomans are a powerhouse, two religions is to much, maybe move the christianity to rome? i think that would balance it a bit out and also give the italians some way to survive

- UK & Dutch are to strong (if played by computer) it would help to give one or two of their citys to independents.

anyhow, in general this is GREAT to play, i really love this secnario. i played as prussia, france, japan, india and now as china ... big fun!

Well I agree with most sentiments here, although not about Turkey. They might be a powerhouse and certainly start as one, but they quickly become technologically backwards despite their great lands, 2 holy cities and numerous vassals. I'm guessing they don't start with both shrines? In any case the Ottomans should be a major power, and they should wane in power so I think they're well balanced.

UK I've already mentioned, but I suppose Dutch get ahead a bit too quickly as well. They don't have any natural enemies and don't get dragged into a Napoleonic war as they did historically (losing colonies to UK). So maybe nerf their colonies a bit especially Dutch East Indies have too much resources (far more than most European lands) so that may explain their great science rate (second only to UK).

Prussia does OK in my games, usually conquering Vienna early on and taking Eisenach to unite Germany more or less. They don't become anything like WW1 or WW2 Germany though, so maybe getting them more resources or something could help? Poland-Lithuania usually becomes more powerful though something which could be improved.

Well I agree with most sentiments here, although not about Turkey. They might be a powerhouse and certainly start as one, but they quickly become technologically backwards despite their great lands, 2 holy cities and numerous vassals. I'm guessing they don't start with both shrines? In any case the Ottomans should be a major power, and they should wane in power so I think they're well balanced.

UK I've already mentioned, but I suppose Dutch get ahead a bit too quickly as well. They don't have any natural enemies and don't get dragged into a Napoleonic war as they did historically (losing colonies to UK). So maybe nerf their colonies a bit especially Dutch East Indies have too much resources (far more than most European lands) so that may explain their great science rate (second only to UK).

Prussia does OK in my games, usually conquering Vienna early on and taking Eisenach to unite Germany more or less. They don't become anything like WW1 or WW2 Germany though, so maybe getting them more resources or something could help? Poland-Lithuania usually becomes more powerful though something which could be improved.

well, maybe you are right and i got bad luck with prussia but in my games they get only eisenach sometimes. against the austrians they mostly fight but do not win as vienna is easy to defend (its build on hills already so 20% def bonus). so prussia ends up as a vasall of george III in most games ;-)

but thats fine, most disturbing is that russia is falling always to the chinese, mongols so quickly ...

well, maybe you are right and i got bad luck with prussia but in my games they get only eisenach sometimes. against the austrians they mostly fight but do not win as vienna is easy to defend (its build on hills already so 20% def bonus). so prussia ends up as a vasall of george III in most games ;-)

but thats fine, most disturbing is that russia is falling always to the chinese, mongols so quickly ...

Well it's interesting to se that there are variables, in my 3 games Prussia has done ok against Austria, except when I conquered them. Prussia has a rather large army and can take Vienna if they put them together in a big stack.

I've never seen Austria vassalized by UK so again a variable.

But Russia always seem to get stomped.

Just some hints for Denmark. Rename these cities:
- Oslo to Christiania and change population to 4
- Bergen to Bærgen and change population to 6
- Trondheim to Trondhjem and change population to 5
- Copenhagen to København
My knowledge of my own home countrys history is quite big, and at the playtime this will be most accurate. Oslo did not grow so big before the four-hundred-years-night, the time Norway wad Denmarks vassal

That's all, the rest looked great. Going to download the mod soon.

veBear

Just some hints for Denmark. Rename these cities:
- Oslo to Christiania and change population to 4
- Bergen to Bærgen and change population to 6
- Trondheim to Trondhjem and change population to 5
- Copenhagen to København
My knowledge of my own home countrys history is quite big, and at the playtime this will be most accurate. Oslo did not grow so big before the four-hundred-years-night, the time Norway wad Denmarks vassal

That's all, the rest looked great. Going to download the mod soon.

veBear

Most of this is nitpicking, and some downright wrong.

Bergen is called Bergen even today, just pronounced differently. The populations of each city matters very little, what matters is how much seafood is available. The English cities are able to get in the 20s with the help of seafood, Norwegian ones should be fairly limited and not be able to get past 10 at the very least, without food imports (read: cereal mills or sushi).

The current name of Trondheim is just that, which has also been the english names. Since this mod is in the English language, English names is appropriate. If you're going to change names of Norwegian or Danish cities, you must do the same with the rest, which is frankly more work than it's worth.

veBear : If you want to do this feel free, change every city name of the mod and upload it (giving due credit to te creator of course).

Under danish rule Bergen was named Bærgen. It was after the Napoleonic wars it was renamed Bergen. And well, is this a reasen to be so angry? I'm going to rename the cities myself, and if you had read this right you had niticed th HINT word, which dont mean they have to be followed. But if you think i'm going to steal another man's mod, you're pretty wrong. I think even you should know that I isn't as bad as you (who i guess would have uploaded it as you actulally are saying i should do it).

And one more thing, please delete my name from the post!

Under danish rule Bergen was named Bærgen. It was after the Napoleonic wars it was renamed Bergen. And well, is this a reasen to be so angry? I'm going to rename the cities myself, and if you had read this right you had niticed th HINT word, which dont mean they have to be followed. But if you think i'm going to steal another man's mod, you're pretty wrong. I think even you should know that I isn't as bad as you (who i guess would have uploaded it as you actulally are saying i should do it).

And one more thing, please delete my name from the post!

"Why so serious!" Don't worry I'm not mad it just sounded like you wanted the author to change the names right now. You do now that in play, you can easily change those few names for yourself, right?

In any case, didn't know about Bergen (Bærgen?), maybe you're right.

Now I removed your first name (just a guess), didn't think you would mind as it's fairly impossible to identify you based on that alone.

As for the last, it was a friendly suggestion and I don't care for the attempt at insulting. Just like "Blitzkrieg" used Wolfshanze's mod you could change his scenario, with his permission. I don't see where you got the impression this is something I would "do", especially based on a single post! In fact I explisitly said you should give credit to the creator if you use any of his material.

Now please try to stay civil in future responses to me and others. Merry Christmas. :)

Top Bottom