World War Wolfshanze (1784AD)

Sorry for that (i did not mean to sound angry either, but i must admit, this was kind of irritating), hope you can forgive for it...
But well, i don't care if he would change the names right now. Maybe he will, maybe not. It is the authors happiness who counts most :) (don't you agree?)

And merry Christmas to you to (isn't it a bit late to say that by now?) and happy new year :)

Sorry for that (i did not mean to sound angry either, but i must admit, this was kind of irritating), hope you can forgive for it...
But well, i don't care if he would change the names right now. Maybe he will, maybe not. It is the authors happiness who counts most :) (don't you agree?)

And merry Christmas to you to (isn't it a bit late to say that by now?) and happy new year :)

well, the names you suggested are the original names and technicially right but this is madness as it means we should also rename the russian citys to their russian names in cyrillic letters and for sure the chinese and japanese as well with their original sighns.

lets just keep it simple and use the english/roman letters/names for all citys. anyhow, thanks to veBear i could improve my history knowledge, its always nice of people add a bit of their knowledge for the publich (that was seriouse not sarcastic!)

a couple of slight problems with this otherwise excellent scenario , and a couple of suggestions

the problems :

for some reason the hochimihn leaderhead crashes the game , whenever i either try and check em out in the games menu , or if i contact them during gameplay or vice versa it CTD.

Early french ,coursairs appear as red blobs , as do north african war elephants

suggestions ,
for the UK , lose Aberdeen , Edinburgh is enough and it makes the map look odd
maybe sneak another german city in there
Budapest should be Belgrade
Change some of the USAs city names to something a bit more modern Minneapolis for example

other than that , excellent

i'm still completely stuck with this hochiminh leaderhead problem CTD

anybody else out there come across this?

i'm still completely stuck with this hochiminh leaderhead problem CTD

anybody else out there come across this?

well, my game chrases sometimes .... i can play the first 40 to 50 turns without problems then it might start crashing every 10 to 15 turns depending on what ever .... but it seems to be a memory problem.

I don't think this is memory man, I mean sure it crashes every once in a while, that I can handle.

But I'm convinced it's a graphics prob, even in the game menu once I've initially loaded the mod if I click on the vietnamese profile it CTDs and it's with this leaderhead only.

The only other leader head I have probs with is soiberski, but he's simply invisable (this to I can also handle as it doesn't effect gameplay)

I've reinstalled a few times now and would hate to give up on the scenario as a lost cause due to this one minor bug

I don't think this is memory man, I mean sure it crashes every once in a while, that I can handle.

But I'm convinced it's a graphics prob, even in the game menu once I've initially loaded the mod if I click on the vietnamese profile it CTDs and it's with this leaderhead only.

The only other leader head I have probs with is soiberski, but he's simply invisable (this to I can also handle as it doesn't effect gameplay)

I've reinstalled a few times now and would hate to give up on the scenario as a lost cause due to this one minor bug

yeah but its kind of strange:

- my game never crash in the first 100 years ! only after ...
- i checked yesterday all leaders in diplomacy window and nothing happened
- i see no red blobs (the elephants you mentioned)

i agree that the crash is connected to leaders as my game crashs always in the beginning of the round when the other leaders try to talk to me and their wondows should pop up but i am not sure if it is connected to a individual one.

actually i thought after 100 years the game file is just very big and when other leades contact me my pc runs out of memory or what ever. that might be a naiv thought ;-)

one obscure way round it i've found is to find out who they're a vassel of or who they have as a vassel then declare war against this third party, after a bit of a phoney war seek peace , but just ignore the vietnamese till it becomes their turn to be invaded , once their ethnicly cleansed , hey presto ! no more crashes

that means if i wipe the vietnames in the worldbuilder the crash problem should be solved? i can check it out if my games are more stable without them ...

maybe another solution:

just play the vietnamese yourself all the time and they cant contact you anymore :cool:

hi after every 10 turns or so i get the following error

Failed to allocate video memory. Please try reducing your graphics settings.
File:\main\Civilization4\SDKs\Gamebryo2_0\CoreLibs\NiDX9Renderer\NiDX9SourceTextureData.cpp, Line:321

Its a new pc i have with an ati 4870 graphics card. i think it only happens with this scenario. i did clear the cache before starting the game without much help. Any other ideas?

hi after every 10 turns or so i get the following error

Failed to allocate video memory. Please try reducing your graphics settings.
File:\main\Civilization4\SDKs\Gamebryo2_0\CoreLibs\NiDX9Renderer\NiDX9SourceTextureData.cpp, Line:321

Its a new pc i have with an ati 4870 graphics card. i think it only happens with this scenario. i did clear the cache before starting the game without much help. Any other ideas?

Try this (post 3):
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=6863669&postcount=3

This does the trick for many - including me and my semi-new pc :)

This is a really long post, got lost in the memory, skip to Poland if you don't want to read all of it!

This scenario is great fun, I've played as America, Japan, Brazil, Prussia, Austria, India, Zulu and Poland so far...

The rest:
Spoiler :
Conquered all of N.A. as America, down to Tenochtitlan.

Settled all but two Australian cities as Japan and lost interest, ha.

Conquered all of S.A. as Brazil, up to Panama.

As Prussia I conquered the Austrians and Venetians, as well as culturely flipping Copenhagen, Warsaw and Izmail. I was trapped between Russia, which although lost a few far east cities to the Chinese (which always happened) were become a secure and dominant power, the Turks, France, and the Netherlands, who always shoot off technologically. I was quickly crushed by the Dutch when they decided to roll over my 12 MGs defending Eisenach...

As the Austrians I conquered Prussia and Venice, but got WD by the Turks and was overran quickly.

As India I rid all the empires of their colonial Indian holdings (save Ceylon from the Dutch) and destroyed the Sikhs and Afghans. While the Chinese were pounding the Burmese I stepped in and they became my vassal and started winning the war against China and destroyed their Vietnamese vassal before losing interest.

Zulu:
Spoiler :
As Zulu I WD the Dutch on turn 1 and captured Cape Town and Aloga Bay with all the units I had at the beginning and quickly built longbowmen then muskets to capture all the independent cities I could. After establishing myself a bit I WD the Portuguese, a vassal of England at the time and quickly capt'd their four cities and made peace before the hordes came down on me. From there I built up and WD Ethiopia, another vassal of England and slowly... painfully slowly destroyed the Ethiopians.

During which time the French thought they could make some easy gains and WD me, ultimately losing their three island colonies. Meanwhile the Poles have made the Russians their vassal and are now fight a losing war against the Turks. The Poles AND Russians end up capitulating to the Ottoman powerhouse and I . .. .. .. . my pants. The Indians become a vassal of the Ottomans and the Malianese switch from being an English vassal to buddy up to the Turks. I furiously tech up to MBT by selling gems to everyone under the sun to defer costs and WD the Turks. I killed the Turkish, Egyptian and Greek stacks and figured I would've eventually overcame them because my production was so high, but lost interest.

Best one, Poland:
Spoiler :
Now here's the one I was actually posting for; Poland. On the 3rd turn Austria WD me, and I captured Lviv. On the following turn, Prussia WD me. A few turns pass and the Dutch WD Prussia, hurray! Couple more turns and Russia WDs me... oh lord, my forces are so spread out I occasionally have no units defending Liepaja... China WD Russia, yes! Venice WDs Austria, alright! The Dutch are pounding the Prussians so I take all my forces and capture Gdynia and Berlin before the Dutch.

While my forces are so thin around Warsaw the opportunist Ventians WD me, even though they were at war with the Austrians... The Fins WD the Russians and capture St.Petersburg, wooo, a bit of pressure off. Its a struggle defending against Russia and attacking Austria but I manage to capture Vienna and Budapest and make peace with Venice, now with MGs!

Finally I can take the war to Russia and end up capturing Arkhangel'sk to Sykhryvkar to Tsaritsyn and make peace just as I start pumping out early tanks.

There are about 30 turns of peace where I tech like mad while England makes America and the Sioux vassals and Quebec is now it's capital. Spain still holds Peru as a vassal and evicts Portugal from Europe forcing capitulation on them. The Dutch WD France and capture Paris and force them to capitulate! I was terrified.

China has destroyed the Burmese and made the Vietnamese their vassal. India is public enemy #1 and still independent! (In every game I cheered for India) I WD anyone England asks me too save the Dutch and Ottomans and have a +20 relation with them by the time I WD the Venetians and capture Venice and Dubrovnik and force them to capitulate for the +1:) and tech some more.

The Dutch aquire the Swedes, Russians, Indians, and Uzbeck Turks as vassals and are leading the scoreboard. England is closely trailing the Dutch, followed by the Spanish (the only game Spain didn't get obliterated). The Turks hold the Tunisians, Egyptians, Persians, Greek, and Sicilians as vassals and have KO'd the Saudis and maintain their land as their own. Copenhagen flips to me, those Danes really don't watch their capital...

Around this time I notice the Turks are placing a lot of units in Izmail, more than would be needed to prevent the culture flip waiting to happen and I put everything I can spare on Lviv. I'm more militarily advanced than the Turks, but they're the mother flippin' Turks and I switch most every city to unit production and finish researching Communism and convert to Police State and State Property.

Its 1911 and the Turks declare war I have about 11 tanks and building about 2/turn and have maybe 15 MGs and 4 anti tanks beyond every cities base defenders (2 mgs for non conflict borders, 3 for conflict borders/concerning borders and 1-0 for interior cities). The Turkish WD me and head for Budapest instead of Lviv because it only has 5 defenders and in the next two turns I widdle the stack of 70~ units down to 45~, it's mostly 3/5ths cavalry, 2/5ths artillery and a smidge infantry. I know he's going to attack on the following turn and pull every unit I can spare from every city to Budapest, leaving some on all border cities to prevent wars of opportunity.

I survive the turn with 1MG and a half health explorer, my medic, huzzah! It takes a few turns to churn out a force again and we're skirmishing near Budapest, but I have heavy tanks to his regular tanks. I take out all his vassal's stacks in stride and capture Sophia and begin building a navy and airforce and slowly but surely capture Greece and Istanbul at 1945. It takes a long long time to get over the hump that is Turkey, but as soon as I do I walk over the middle east and Persia.

I refrained from building Wall street anywhere before the beginning of the war with the Turks because no where was any good, but as soon as I had enough :espionage:points to see inside Jerusalem I knew it would produce the motherload. I used a GE to rush Wall street the first turn it came out of revolt and ran 100% expense with +200 gold from then on.

Before I capture Riyadh and Mecca the Egyptians came out of capitulation but refuse to become my vassal because they fear the Turks still, pish, come on!! They capitulate to the Chinese who WD me... All the other vassals make the switch easy enough once they were free and I destroy the Egyptians to make peace with the Chinese. Its about 1990 now and I WD the Dutch who have been are war with the Spanish, English and Chinese for about 25 turns and are nice and soft. The turn after I capture Amsterdam the Spanish offer to become my vassal... they still have Pedro as a vassal... ok! I take Spain and Peru as vassals and remove the Dutch from Europe. I couldn't take all the former French cities because Spain captured two and the Dutch gave two to England to end the war.

At the same time I destroy the Swedes after St.Petersburg culturally flips, capture two Uzbek Turk cities and force them to capitulate and scare the Russians into capitulation by intentionally leaving a 3/18 heath MG on their capital with my stack of 10MBTs and M.Artillery. I take Portugal as a vassal, but France refuses because I'm too far away, oh well, I'll get closer; I begin capturing the Dutch holdings in central and South Africa and discover I'm now leading the score board by 600points and decide I've spent way to many hours playing this round.

Poland holds the Spanish, Portuguese, Russians, Uzbek Turks, Tunisians, Persians, remaining Ottoman Turks, Sardinians, and Greeks as vassals. Poland proper extends from Tornio to Al Mukalla, Paris to Chelkar.

Super great scenario, I have spent many many hours playing, very fun, I would definitely recommend it.

@ Blitzkreig80
wierd situation , i've recently got a new laptop , much better spec than my last one with the lego graphics card and am enjoying revisiting all my old Civ scenarios and mods i previously couldn't play , however i've got a issue with WWW , this time the isssue is as soon as i load the mod , the battleship background is there , but there's no menu allowing me to load a scenario etc , it only occurs on this minimod , i've tried both 284 and 285 with no joy

to be fair i think it's actually the parent mod that's at fault as i can't load it and get in via worldbuilder

Blitzkreig80 added this scenario to the Wolfshanze's Revolution, and Legends of Revolution mods. If you want, it would be awesome for them to be updated. I kinda updating things for the Legends version, but I'm sure you might have better balancing ideas and tweaks to make. Anyway, just thought I'd point out I was stealing using your scenario and let you know it would be cool to have you go over it to make sure the transition worked right.

Blitzkreig80 added this scenario to the Wolfshanze's Revolution, and Legends of Revolution mods. If you want, it would be awesome for them to be updated. I kinda updating things for the Legends version, but I'm sure you might have better balancing ideas and tweaks to make. Anyway, just thought I'd point out I was stealing using your scenario and let you know it would be cool to have you go over it to make sure the transition worked right.

I would love to play a new version of this scenario with the new mods you're talking about. I'd like to help give suggestions and playtest if you'd like, although I'm no modder. Still the main drawback of the scenario is the locked normal speed, I'd like a marathon version game instead which makes you really feel time progesses slowly and you can use those wooden ships which otherwise becomes obsolete in a few turns.

Here some more explanations, remembering, etc.

Spoiler :

I hadn't played it in a long time but I recently tried it again after playing wolfshanze mod with 36 civs on the huge map that comes with the mod, playing Dutch. Although it was a fun game for some time, I had to destroy the germans just to get space to build my capitol (which I still couldn't build near amsterdam as it would be too close to Paris). Still, a very nice game in the beginning when France chariot-rushed me and i had only a couple of archers and barely survived by heavy whipping.

In the late game the challenge was over though so i checked out the old scenario (this one) and now play as Prussians. Fun, but more challenging than the major players. I still notice that some nations are just a bit too quick with their research and thus becomes too powerful: English and Dutch. For once, France also did pretty good early on even though they never even try to recreate the napoleonic empire and stop at the first german neutral city before fighting a fruitless naval war with the English major leauge of nations.

Maybe France should have lower relation with the italian states and prussia as well?
Also, the vassal system is getting a tad annoying, as in the first turn England and France gets a lot of vassal for nothing which makes their wars always world wars. I don't mind that they are potentially great wars, but it's kinda silly when Native americans, Zulus and Khmer join France as vassals when they are so far from eachother, same with England's vassals except for Ireland which fits.

The Ottoman league has the same problem, although most of the vassals are historically correct, the AI France will never DoW and invade areas like Tunis, Egypt etc. because they fear the power of the Ottoman Empire (and to some agree I agree, it just doesen't make sense to start a huge war against the Ottoman alliance when you're already engaging the more dangerous Britain).

Maybe if Tunis and Egypt didn't start as vassals but rather had a very high opinion of the Ottomans, open borders and maybe some resource tribute to begin with? Also the existence of the holy city of christendom means that after about 30-40 turns the Ottomans will get hundreds of gold income once they build the holy building, which should make them competitionable with all other powers except Britain.

Feel free to play the mod, and edit it. I have no desire to do scenario editing though, so there isn't much point in giving me suggestions on it, as I will not be modding the scenario. WolfRevolution and LoR come with the World War Wolf Scenario in it, just load it using the play a scenario option in the opening menu of either mod. If you want to change it to marathon speed, it's pretty easy to do. Open up the scenario file with notepad (you'll find it in the main mod directory, in the Private maps folder), and at the top you'll see:
Code:
Version=11
BeginGame
	Era=ERA_RENAISSANCE
	[B]Speed=GAMESPEED_EPIC[/B]
	Calendar=CALENDAR_YEARS
	Option=GAMEOPTION_NO_BARBARIANS
	Option=GAMEOPTION_AGGRESSIVE_AI
	Option=GAMEOPTION_NO_TECH_BROKERING
	Option=GAMEOPTION_NEW_RANDOM_SEED
	Option=GAMEOPTION_NO_GOODY_HUTS
	Option=GAMEOPTION_REVOLUTION
	Option=GAMEOPTION_BARBARIAN_CIV
	Option=GAMEOPTION_TECH_DIFFUSION
	Option=GAMEOPTION_DYNAMIC_CIV_NAMES
	GameTurn=1
	MaxTurns=2500
	MaxCityElimination=0
	NumAdvancedStartPoints=720
	TargetScore=0
	StartYear=1783
	Description=World War Wolf 1.4.2 : pre-Napoleonic Earth scenario using Legends of Revolution
	ModPath=
EndGame

It should be pretty obvious, change the:
Code:
	Speed=GAMESPEED_EPIC
To
Code:
	Speed=GAMESPEED_MARATHON
And the scenario will play at marathon speed.

Feel free to play the mod, and edit it. I have no desire to do scenario editing though, so there isn't much point in giving me suggestions on it, as I will not be modding the scenario. WolfRevolution and LoR come with the World War Wolf Scenario in it, just load it using the play a scenario option in the opening menu of either mod. If you want to change it to marathon speed, it's pretty easy to do. Open up the scenario file with notepad (you'll find it in the main mod directory, in the Private maps folder), and at the top you'll see:
Code:
Version=11
BeginGame
	Era=ERA_RENAISSANCE
	[B]Speed=GAMESPEED_EPIC[/B]
	Calendar=CALENDAR_YEARS
	Option=GAMEOPTION_NO_BARBARIANS
	Option=GAMEOPTION_AGGRESSIVE_AI
	Option=GAMEOPTION_NO_TECH_BROKERING
	Option=GAMEOPTION_NEW_RANDOM_SEED
	Option=GAMEOPTION_NO_GOODY_HUTS
	Option=GAMEOPTION_REVOLUTION
	Option=GAMEOPTION_BARBARIAN_CIV
	Option=GAMEOPTION_TECH_DIFFUSION
	Option=GAMEOPTION_DYNAMIC_CIV_NAMES
	GameTurn=1
	MaxTurns=2500
	MaxCityElimination=0
	NumAdvancedStartPoints=720
	TargetScore=0
	StartYear=1783
	Description=World War Wolf 1.4.2 : pre-Napoleonic Earth scenario using Legends of Revolution
	ModPath=
EndGame

It should be pretty obvious, change the:
Code:
	Speed=GAMESPEED_EPIC
To
Code:
	Speed=GAMESPEED_MARATHON
And the scenario will play at marathon speed.

Thanks for the pointers, I'll see what I can manage in notepad (my only moding experience). I just noticed it seems we have different scenario versions, mine is set at normal game speed, no tech trading (instead of brokering). Revolution and Barbarian civ I suppose is from the Wolfrevolution mod and later? Tech diffusion you'll have to explain though I have no idea what that is or if it is in vanilla or not :)

The best way to answer your questions is to encourage you to download and play Legends of Revolution and test out the varying Revolution game options in game. Also all the concepts are written and described in Legends of Revolution's civilopedia.

Top Bottom