1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

World Wars - time change

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by aryann, Feb 10, 2008.

1. aryann

aryann Warlord

This is the only other suggestion I have for improving the game right now. I don't know if it's even possible or anyone will think it would be good but it's worth mentioning. In my experience largely uneventful wars can go on for unrealisticaly long, even eventful ones do. Would it be possible so that say for example if a war was triggered in which over 50% of the global populations civs were involved, time could be changed slightly?

Leading up to wars nations often had arms races, but it is during the actual war that the majority of the armament happens. Previously trained troops are important to hold off initial attacks mainly. Would it be possible so that if such a big war happened, turns could cover a shorter period, perhaps monthly? Research rates could be tweaked in this period, military techs cheaper, non military more expensive, but both slow down to accomodate for the much shorter turns. Units could be trained at the same rate but considering the shorter turns they would be churning out faster than usual by far. In world wars nations have to pull together all the people they have, more so than leading up to a war, no nation gets most its population in the army prior to a war but during it as far as I know. (In world war terms.) This way wars could be at a realistic length and be very eventful, (without taking 2 years to cross the atlantic in the modern age.) I don't know if this is at all possible and if it were it would no doubt be hard to impliment, I just thought it would be good.

2. Úmarth

Úmarth Megalomaniac

That's really radical, but it would be cool.

3. say1988

say1988 Deity

I don't think it would work because the amount of scripting relying on turn numbers, so if the time slowed down for a little while you would either end the game in an earlier year, or have modern turns skipping multiple years.

4. aryann

aryann Warlord

The game wouldn't have to end earlier if techs were slown down appropriately during this period. It's just to allow for eventful and realistic wars that don't take hundreds of years with only a few battles. I know it'd be near enough impossible to impliment but it was worth a shot, I realy don't know much about this stuff I just thought it'd be good. It's a great game as it is anyways :goodjob:

By the way I tried out the new world war thing to see what it was like. I waited from a 600AD start for America and by the time I spawned there were already intricate alligiances formed, making it hard to reclaim land in America without fighting multiple nations. There were also some infantry around (in 1733?? :confused: ) If this was a one off then I have no problem but if it's supposed to be this way, isn't the 1700's a little early to end small wars and take them to a global level? I declared war on England to get some cities in Canada and found myself under attack by like 6 civs, but I managed to do alright because I got a few infantry pieces from New Amsterdam's flip, which no other civs I saw had yet, (is that their name (infantry), I don't know? I mean those early soldier units after riflemen.) I didn't realy want to collapse England in this game but by taking a few American cities, along with congress losing them Inverness to the Vikings they fell apart.

5. say1988

say1988 Deity

That isn't the problem, the problem is that you only have so many turns. I am not sure, but I believe stability ends at 2050 without changing turn length, so it will end before that if you shorten some turns.
    Even if that is not true, if this happened before the US or any other civ spawns, they would spawn way off.

6. aryann

aryann Warlord

Couldn't all of what you mentioned be triggered by year instead of turn? It wouldn't have to be overly complicated with the faster units and all, just a few marathon turns during the global war.

7. say1988

say1988 Deity

Even if using years is an option (which I am unsure of) it would likely require a lot of recoding.

8. a1Basco

a1Basco Warlord

How about if a major war was declared, units would spawn.

Uhm... they can be flagged to vanish after the war is over or something...

9. say1988

say1988 Deity

Very exploitable.

10. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Deity

I wouldn't mind doing it for the AI. The more units AI has, the more are the chances that it will do something reasonable with them for a change.

11. Hitti-Litti

Hitti-Litti Deity

Sounds cool, but the problem is, that some wars may last for many turns without any military actions taken. That way you would be forced to war-research, even if you're not attacked. Also you could manually and safely change to war-research by entering the area of Independents.

12. aryann

aryann Warlord

That could work but I was thinking more so that wars are more eventful over short periods. The wars prior to the industrial/modern era were quite long with Napoleon and the hundred year war etc. Would it be feasible to do a Blitzkrieg promotion or something similar so that units move faster in later eras. (I know commando kind of does this, but I mean even faster.) This way surrounding cities could be taken in single turns by suprise like Germany's attack on the soviets, and after a couple of turns the AI/player should have time to regroup some forces and counter attack. The name Blitzkrieg does sound exclusively German though so perhaps it could be lightining warfare which is what it means or something alike. This is just an idea, i'd just like to see eventful and realisticly short wars.

13. aryann

aryann Warlord

How do you edit the title of a thread again? I thought I remembered doing it before.

14. Hitti-Litti

Hitti-Litti Deity

Double click the thread name in 24 hours after creating the thread. Then you are able to rewrite the name.

15. aryann

aryann Warlord

Thanks, do you mean within 24 hours?

Because I can't do it now.

16. kairob

kairob Biohazard

How about allowing drafting from more civics and reducing the cost of drafting if you are at war with either x amount of civs or a civ that you hate (-x diplo penalty)?

17. aryann

aryann Warlord

What's drafting sorry. If it is what I suspect then a civ with few enemies would have less units which would be unfair wouldn't it?

18. Edungeon

Edungeon Flying~

The thing that you can do with the Nationhood civic... Like Slavery, you can pay 1~2 Pop for a unit ( like Musketman, Rifleman or Infantary )

19. aryann

aryann Warlord

Wow I never knew that lol thanks. That is a very good idea actually; perhaps in a world war (50% world pop. fighting +) everyone could draft units more cheaply incase they got dragged in unprepared; even if not, it's a very good idea in itself.

What does anyone thing about the blitzkrieg idea anyways? It's just an idea but I think it could be good for more eventful short wars and capturing small or unprepared states fast, which is realistic, (WW2- low countries, Poland...etc) It would souly be for industrial and modern eras though.

20. aryann

aryann Warlord

If it was done it would only have an effect in world wars not vs independants and war research would be boosted not forced. I'm starting to doubt this myself now though; a few marathon turns would be fine but even without this, the drafting suggestions along with blitzkrieg could work.