World Wonder Discussion

I´m curious about Motherland Calls: does it make a city (potentially) unconquerable? (do the units generated by the wonder get the experience from barracks, great generals etc.)
Motherland Calls is not limited by your global draft limit, but it still respects the rule that every city can only draft one unit per turn. So, no.

2) Burj Khalifa: you get +2 food and +2 commerce from desert tiles.
Has anyone ever built this? It takes an insane amount of hammer to build, especially if you consider that disadvantaged cities with a lot of unusable desert tiles should construct it. I would recommend a cut in hammer cost by at least 40% or adding a +1 hammer to the bonuses.

I do. Yes, it takes a huge amount of hammers to build. But it is a late wonder, giving you plenty of time to acquire Great Engineers or gold to rush-buy it. It can turn useless cities into monsters.

Don't build it in any desert city. While it does provide food and commerce to deserts, it doesn't allow you to improve those tiles. So regular desert tiles will still only provide 2F2C, which isn't terrible, but not great either. Instead, build it in a city which has many desert hills. You can mine this tiles (because this is already possible even without the Burj Khalifa), giving you production. Combine this with the food and commerce from the Burj Khalifa and you have a juicy 2F3P2C. (or even more if there is a minable/quarriable resourece) Don't build windmills, because the food and commerce from them don't stack with the Burj Khalifa, resulting in a loss of production yield. Also don't build it in cities with many flood plains. The effect of the Burj Khalifa doesn't stack with them.

Mexicali/Tuscon in the USA are great spots for this wonder, as they have many desert hills.

Last edited:
Spoiler :
upload_2020-5-13_13-22-53.png

I agree with Merijn. Here's an example of how I like setting up my city sites as America (given the constraints of the 1700 AD start). I like building the Burj Khalifa in Reno. Tons of desert hills. Also building the Mole Antonelliana there for all those peaks!

Top Bottom