1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Worldbuild your ideal start!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by 6K Man, Oct 31, 2008.

1. 6K Man

6K Man Bureaucrat

I have seen it written, somewhere on this site, that if you regenerate your starting position over and over looking for the 'ideal' start, you might as well just save some time and just create a start position with the elements you desire via Worldbuilder. Despite that, I've never created a start with WB - I think there would be too much temptation to add 'just one more' resource or floodplain tile, just to add additional tweaks until I had a totally unbalanced start.

I do think that it would be interesting to see how others perceive an ideal start, though. So, share your darkest WB fantasies here, subject to the following restrictions:

- only show the starting BFC; I'm not asking you to worldbuild an entire continent or map
    - only 5 resource tiles in the starting BFC - otherwise, things get kind of :crazyeye:
    - only show resources available at 4000 BC (e.g. no Copper, Horses, etc)
    - only use terrains that are permitted in the standard game (so no Floodplain Hill Gold tiles)
    - state which difficulty your creation is intended for (large amounts of floodplain, for example, are much more of a problem at Emperor than they are at Chieftain)
    - if the start position is intended for a particular civilization or leader, state them.

2. 6K Man

6K Man Bureaucrat

Here's mine - off the top of my head:

Despite playing Catherine in the save, it isn't intended for any one leader. The trees offset the unhealth from the FP, and having pigs and 2 seafoods also assists the health situation. Could be a cottage monster or a good GP farm with multiple food sources and the potential for FP farms. The stone gives the option to build many early wonders fast. There's sea access, but no wasted ocean tiles.

3. John117

John117 Chieftain

I would dispute your maximum of 5 resourses cap- some of my best games have happened when I randomly got 4+ seafood tiles in the city radius plus 2 or 3 more on the land (my favourite corp. is sid's sushi).

4. Bushface

Bushface Deity

The game can indeed generate places with more than five resources in a possible fat cross. Long ago, I had on the map a one-tile island with seven fish around it (but it was, alas, a peak) and in the "Funny Screenshots" thread there's one called "Who Let the Elephants out ?". I'm still hoping for a range of five or more grassy hills, all with Iron. Five different resources, though, seems about right.

5. LDiCesare

LDiCesare Deity

My daughter's favourite WB start is when every other civ's settler is surrounded by peaks and has one tile of desert for himself.
    (She opens up the mountains with WB later in the game, like when her tanks can slaughter their archer.)

6. 6K Man

6K Man Bureaucrat

Oh, I'm not disputing that there can be more than 5 resources in a starting BFC - I've had at least 6 or 7 in some games, those usually involving multiple Crabs, Clams, or Elephants. I just felt that 5 would be a good limit for the exercise - I'm more interested in whether people prefer lots of forested hills and a few food tiles for production vs. lots of grassland/floodplain for commerce, for example. And I didn't think nonsense starts with 17 resources in the BFC (and the other 4 as floodplain tiles) would demonstrate anything at all.

7. Handel

Handel Prince

Well, I play on monarch and don't want to struggle with impossible start. So I look for a river with at least 1 food resourse and I must have horse and bronze at reachable position. As "reachable" postion I mean a position you don't have to fight for.

8. FenrysWulf

FenrysWulf Evil Norse Wolf

The most important thing for me is a city that has resources, but also can grow. So I need a few food tiles like corn or pigs, but mostly I need forests and hills. The forests and hills have to be grassland, not plains, or else they don't get enough food to keep the growth going. And there should be a river running through the area too. Getting out to a fast start makes such a big difference, and for me a fast start means I can build things in a few turns. I can't be wasting 15 turns on a temple or 20 on a granary early in the game.