1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Worldbuilder

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Creation & Customization' started by boneys26, Oct 4, 2010.

1. boneys26

boneys26 BTS Play session tester

Can someone please do a tutorial on the worldbuilder..

How to make maps.
    How to edit saved maps.
    Fixed start locations for major/minor civs etc (seams random from what I have tried they start where they want) :confused:

looked all over the internet and found nothing not even anything in the worldbuilder link on civ5 wiki :cry:

2. Thorburne

Thorburne Centurion

Yeah... maybe that is part of the problem is that there is no really good information on how to use the Worldbuilder. Kael's guide only really covers the ModBuddy and only has a couple sections on Worldbuilder which do not provide much detail. While the basics of map creation is easy to figure out, actually implementing the map is becoming more of a chore and not very user friendly. Whether that is just a bug of the mod tools, I can only assume. Still, it would be nice to be able to create a map and get it to work. Even getting the maps to show up in the game would be nice. And since modding is supposed to be modular, it would be really nice if we could get them to work with any released mod or combination thereof.

3. boneys26

For the life of me cant get the map to start with the set civ's at there starting locations. I started a huge earth map with 13 civs + 6 minor civs, saved map, edited map.. set start locations for the civs.. save map.. start game tick load scenario on the map, game loads and not only is there start location random but there is a full 24 minor civs on the map :/

4. truetom

truetom Warlord

Why didn't they make a simple-easy-to-use map editor as it was in Civ4 ??? :confused:

5. Cilpot

Cilpot Pretentious Schmuck

In the Civ 5 main menu you have to select Mods -> Single Player -> Set up game in order to get the fixed start locations.

6. boneys26

Thanks Cilpot.. it works.. something for fraxis to look at though.. kinda makes the scenario button in basic game setup pointless if you have to go through "mods" to get your map/scenario to work.

7. Shiggs713

Shiggs713 Immortal

yea it is odd that to even play a map you made you have to go into the mods part. Its not really a mod :crazyeye:

when I saw that I just decided to make my earth map its own mod, otherwise everyone would have trouble trying to play it.... some still do :crazyeye:

8. Cilpot

Cilpot Pretentious Schmuck

Apparently it is considered a mod if there are changes in the scenario settings. The scenario button in basic single player do seem redundant, though.

9. st.lucifer

st.lucifer King

I haven't had any luck with that. Does the WB have to be saved as a mod file rather than as a map? In order to have the saved map show up as an option, I have to go into advanced setup, and none of my saved settings or start points seem to carry over.

The path I've followed is:

(Using WB, save map with pre-set starting points as a civ5map into maps folder)

open civ5

mods -> single player -> set up game -> advanced setup -> start game.

As stated by another player, I'm really just trying to help the AI avoid starting out in Newfoundland or Kamchatka (I've had AI starts in both places, plus one in Scandinavia where England was pinned behind a city-state in Finland and failed to expand beyond it. I didn't realize it was possible to build 4 cities in Norway/Sweden)

Any advice as to what I'm doing wrong?

10. Raijer

Raijer The 736th Beatle

Yep, same here. I'm getting the map to show up, but my problem is that I assigned a starting point for Player 1 in the world builder, yet when I load my saved map, player 1 shows up somewhere else.

11. LrdDrgn

LrdDrgn Chieftain

Is the mod program out already?