[BTS] WorldInfo.xml with increased iDefaultPlayers - quests unmanageable, how to fix?

nci

Warlord
I play with 50+ Civs so increased iDefaultPlayers for Huge World size without changing anything else in the file, to avoid having to manually add civilizations every time I start a new game.

Quests are unmanageable with this setting, e.g. Greed gives 50 (!!!) units as a reward, while some other quests require 50 buildings of certain type which is practically impossible especially on earlier stages.

How can I return quests to default condition for Huge world size, while keeping 50 slots pre-filled when starting a new game?

@vincentz I am not working with the DLL, using one compiled for 77 Civs by somebody else. Is there a way to change this elsewhere, or maybe force 50 slots to be prefilled on starting of a new custom game without using a scenario or editing iDefaultPlayers which created the mess in the first place?

Last edited:
@vincentz I downloaded source code of 77 Civs DLL, but can't find the entry corresponding to number of civs for event purposes. Would you please kindly tell me where exactly should I look to adjust it? UPDATE: found it in CvRandomEventInterface.py

Last edited:
I am having a similar problem to this.

I am playing the GEM(Giant Earth Map) on LoR(Legends of Revolution UXP).

Using GEM requires an additional earth size in the worldinfo.xml and due to some of the settings in that I am getting 'build 36 libraries' and 'settle on 54 landmass.

I have searched everywhere but can't find a detailed breakdown of the XML file in question.

All I have found is:

http://civ4.wikidot.com/xml:civ4worldinfo

http://modiki.civfanatics.com/index.php?title=Civ4WorldInfo

which are useful, but not comprehensive. I have made by integer settings the same as a HUGE earth map, apart from iGridWidth and iGridHeight.

Can post the XML file if that helps.

@vincentz I downloaded source code of 77 Civs DLL, but can't find the entry corresponding to number of civs for event purposes. Would you please kindly tell me where exactly should I look to adjust it? UPDATE: found it in CvRandomEventInterface.py
I have found this file, but I have no idea what to do to it.

I am fine with editing XML, this stuff doesn't look that much different. I could probably fix my problem with some assistance....

Edit: After reading through it a bit more, I can see how some of these events work.
Some are just a happening with an effect.
Some require certain game settings, eg: OCC disables some of them, Barbs turned off etc..
Some require certain situations like war.
I'm only interested in adjusting the random events that require you to build a certain amount of units or buildings, because of the large map I'm using they are impossible quests(36 Libraries or 54 landmasses)

Last edited:
I have made [m]y integer settings the same as a HUGE earth map, apart from iGridWidth and iGridHeight.
Quests normally scale with the default player count. If that's the same for the extra-huge size as for Huge, then I don't understand what's going on. If the default player count is the problem and you don't want to lower it in XML, then this Git commit of mine might help:
This ties the quest conditions to the BuildingClassPrereqModifier, which the game normally uses for the requirements of national wonders. This modifier increases more gradually with the world size than the default player count, e.g. twice as many Libraries are required for Oxford on Huge maps (8 Libraries) than on Duel-size maps (4 Libraries). If you want to use a different formula, putting the multiplier into a helper function would still be a good start.
[The first comment in the commit says "Deity" - what I meant to write was "Huge".]

Quests normally scale with the default player count. If that's the same for the extra-huge size as for Huge, then I don't understand what's going on. If the default player count is the problem and you don't want to lower it in XML, then this Git commit of mine might help:
This ties the quest conditions to the BuildingClassPrereqModifier, which the game normally uses for the requirements of national wonders. This modifier increases more gradually with the world size than the default player count, e.g. twice as many Libraries are required for Oxford on Huge maps (8 Libraries) than on Duel-size maps (4 Libraries). If you want to use a different formula, putting the multiplier into a helper function would still be a good start.
[The first comment in the commit says "Deity" - what I meant to write was "Huge".]
Thanks, I'll have a look at that properly when I'm not at work.

Just to clarify my situation:
I am using the original GEM worldinfo.xml unchanged. Previously I had changed it.
The file you have provided is python, do I add or replace the cvrandomeventinterface.py file?
Or are you saying there is an adjustment I can make to worldinfo.xml ?

Lowering iDefaultPlayers in Civ4WordInfo.xml should be sufficient. BtS seems to use that value only for the default player count during game setup (not relevant, I think, if you only play the Giant Earth scenarios) and for random events. Some AI code in RevDCM uses iDefaultPlayers, but that seems like a fairly late addition (from K-Mod) that probably has not been adopted by GEM (changelog says that GEM uses RevDCM 2.5, which pre-dates K-Mod). One can't be sure because the source code of the GEM DLL isn't available, apparently.

If you do want to uncouple the random events from iDefaultPlayers, then applying the changes in my Git commit (not my whole file) to the CvRandomEventInterface.py that comes with GEM should be the way to go. A little laborious without tool support (Git - tough to get started with; WinMerge would probably help too) because I've had to change one line for pretty much(?) every quest.

Last edited:
Lowering iDefaultPlayers in Civ4WordInfo.xml should be sufficient. BtS seems to use that value only for the default player count during game setup (not relevant, I think, if you only play the Giant Earth scenarios) and for random events. Some AI code in RevDCM uses iDefaultPlayers, but that seems like a fairly late addition (from K-Mod) that probably has not been adopted by GEM (changelog says that GEM uses RevDCM 2.5, which pre-dates K-Mod). One can't be sure because the source code of the GEM DLL isn't available, apparently.

If you do want to uncouple the random events from iDefaultPlayers, then applying the changes in my Git commit (not my whole file) to the CvRandomEventInterface.py that comes with GEM should be the way to go. A little laborious without tool support (Git - tough to get started with; WinMerge would probably help too) because I've had to change one line for pretty much(?) every quest.
I'm using Legends of Revolution mod, and I've altered some XML to make the very big GEM map work. It uses RevDCM, not sure which version. I added the 'Giant' world size from GEM to the LoR Civ4WorldInfo.XML file.

I'm gonna alter iDefaultPlayers(in Civ4WorldInfo.XML) from 36 to 18, and see what happens.
Huge is 11 iDefaultPlayers. 18 seems reasonable.

Thanks for your help.

Oh, OK, got it now I think (finally). I had been using 16 for Huge size (up from 11 in BtS) and found the quest requirements unreasonable. But, sure, for the Giant size,18 could be fair enough. The LoR source that I have at hand only uses iDefaultPlayers for some soft cap on the number of Barbarian cities. So probably no side-effects to speak of.

Oh, OK, got it now I think (finally). I had been using 16 for Huge size (up from 11 in BtS) and found the quest requirements unreasonable. But, sure, for the Giant size,18 could be fair enough. The LoR source that I have at hand only uses iDefaultPlayers for some soft cap on the number of Barbarian cities. So probably no side-effects to speak of.
Yeh, that's what I thought. And I'm only playing at Noble level.
I was playing the GEM map using Huge settings, and I think I was still getting impossible quests, but building a big empire was also almost impossible because the city cost etc was for a smaller map. I have started a new game with proper Civ4WorldInfo.xml settings and will find out in due course what the quests are like.

Top Bottom