1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Worrying review: Tom Chick says AI and Diplomacy are dumb. Has "Serious Problems"

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by solidsmooky, Sep 20, 2010.

1. JakeCourtney

JakeCourtney Villain

Don't really have to believe it, but the prediction is not that it ends, just more so that it really starts sucking *** after 2012 basically.

Just think of it in terms of a Golden Age ending... lol

2. nargulok

nargulok Chieftain

Based on this review I can't wait to play? :p

3. Multiball

Multiball Chieftain

totally agree, I just had tonnes of friends who loved civ 3 for some strange reason, and even bashed civ 4 till BTS was released as official expansion... it was baffleing too me, i think they we're secretly in denial...

Civ 3 almost put me off civ but i ploughed through playing civ 2 till 4 came out, like ive been playing alot of rome and kingdoms rather than empire (despite the bigger map being something I liked) until napoleon was out which i got for (£9 in a steam sale :) )

4. Drago Askani

Drago Askani Warlord

Get your ass back to the elemental forums you whiner. If you are gonna start crying here about another game I am gonna hunt you down and beat you with copies of Civ 5 in a sock!!!!!!!!!

5. Auncien

Auncien Prince

I like the way you think.

/salute

6. Dark_MadMax

Dark_MadMax Chieftain

AI in RTS/TBS was always bad , no surprise here. Its kinda sad but this is the state of affairs since Civ/Dune and unlikely to change until someone smart comes up with good AI middleware . AI is just too hard of a problem for game devs

Games could be challenging without having good AI though and in civilization series it was always hard to play emperor and above. I am at peace with that

7. Shakes

Shakes Warlord

From Tom Chick Himself on his Deus Ex review being a running joke (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/06/29/tom-chick-the-man-who-hated-deus-ex/):

(Emphasis mine)

8. DirtyFinger

DirtyFinger Prince

Aw, come on.

This Is Civilization!
    This is Sid Meier!

It's not Elemental and Brad Wardell, so no worries.

9. Maxor127

Maxor127 Warlord

I loved Civ3 and I'd played Civ2 a lot before. I thought it was a nice improvement over Civ2. The only thing I didn't like was the corruption/waste. And I also loved Civ4. I think I'll like Civ5 even more since the combat sounds great. The only thing I don't like the sound of is how everything pretty much requires gold to maintain and building more cities sounds like it stifles your culture for some reason.

I don't see what there is to complain about Civ3 though. It's kind of like Civ2 and Civ4 combined.

10. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

So...was he right or wrong?

11. Blitz66

Blitz66 Chieftain

nice one

12. CyberTyrant

CyberTyrant Emperor

This one review ended up being right.

As it relates to diplomacy and the AI handling war, he was right.

13. Malecite

Malecite Chieftain

Tom Chick apparently was the only human who noticed how these flaws put GAPING HOLES in the gameplay that are almost immediately apparent after the "look at the shiny new interface" glow wears off. How the rest of the reviewers turned a blind eye to the computer sending in non combat units, single file, into your guns escapes me.

14. Batolemaeus

Batolemaeus Chieftain

This thread is quite hilarious in hindsight.

15. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

One would have to understand the nature of electronic and hardcopy reviews, as well as the current state it finds itself in. It is not specific to just game reviews but general PC sites and publications.

16. troytheface

troytheface Deity

the reviews were glowing

but i actually heard the game was out on a non game board yap'n about politics and crap
    a thread was nestled in the middle of this mess entitled "Civ 5 a bust" or something or other

i watched a u tube of a walk through - the first comment on the u tube thing was "this is boring"

i think they meant the walkthrough- but it was indicative of the game

"One would have to understand the nature of electronic and hardcopy reviews, as well as the current state it finds itself in. It is not specific to just game reviews but general PC sites and publications"

i am not sure what you mean by this but if you mean that reviewers and game makers and publishers are all in on it together and are fat , soft, passionless bearded money grubbing dorky liars then i agree

its like watching the news. its almost the opposite of the truth

the evidence is clear

17. Psyringe

Psyringe Scout

Tom Chick is one of the very few (I'm talking about less than three) game reviewers who I actually trust to do a decent job. I don't always agree with him, but I respect him as someone who actually calls out flaws if he sees them. I noticed that first when MoO3 came out, he was the only previewer who explained how horribly broken this game actually was. No one else did. The reviews at IGN and similar places were glowing. A major fansite had a six-part preview which ended up being just gibberish because the author couldn't even understand the game, but apparently didn't want to hold that against it. The beta testers had posted juicy after-action-reports with heaps of praise. And then there was Tom Chick, who said that there simply was no game. And boy did he get attacked for that. The whole official MoO3 forum went crazy because one previewer had dared to say something negative. He was accused of being too stupid for the game, of not giving it enough time, of advocating dumbed-down gameplay while snubbing the presumably great complex gameplay of MoO3, you name it. Only two weeks after release it became apparent that his preview had actually been the only truthful and even remotely accurate preview of MoO3 in the whole internet. That's Tom Chick.

When Elemental got released a short while ago, the new game from Stardock (who's boss, Brad Wardell, is a friend of Tom - Tom also worked for him once, doing the manual of a previous game IIRC), Tom pointed out how broken the game was. Boy did he get flamed by Brad, thankfully Brad later apologized and they sorted that out. In the end, Brad understood that he made Tom choose between their friendship and writing a truthful review, and that Tom won't compromise his reviews even if that hurts a friend. That's Tom Chick.

As i said, I don't agree with everything he ever says, but in a world where 99% of reviews simply aren't worth reading anymore, this guy is an exception.

18. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

I very much agree. That's why I took exception at those who decried Tom Chick saying "who the @$#%! is this guy?".

19. Dearmad

Dearmad Dead weight

So funny to see the fanboi's try to attack and miss so badly... :) "Who is Tom Chick" indeed? Talk about gaming legacy ignorance. For shame.

20. Wycoff

Wycoff Chieftain

I played Civ 2 for years, but I can unequivocally say that I loved Civ 3. After playing Civ 3 for a time, I simply couldn't go back to Civ 2. There were too many fundamental improvements in Civ 3 (culture and borders, differentiated civilizations with unique characters, and resources to name a few), and going back to Civ 2 was too primitive. I probably played over 1000 hours of Civ 3 in my life.

I much preferred 3 to 4. I hated the military experience upgrades in 4. It was too much micro management to me- I actually preferred dealing with 100+ workers at end game in 3 than having to monitor whether my axe man was a city invader +2 etc. Civ games aren't much fun when you hate building military units and fighting wars, so I ended up not playing much Civ 4.