1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Worst game from Firaxis?

Discussion in 'Other Sid Meier Games' started by millansoft, Nov 7, 2006.

1. millansoft

millansoft Warlord

After taking a look at Railroads, I'm pretty sure that this is the worst game that made Firaxis, what are your thoughts about that? I just found a lot of bugs and zero fun and challenge.

Regards

2. Xanikk999

Xanikk999 History junkie

Well they are a very VERY small company. About 5 people at the most i hear so i wouldnt be suprised if everything isnt good.

3. Wolfwood

Wolfwood Elite Commander

I think Railroads! continues the same development that we saw between Civ3 and Civ4, as well as in Pirates! Simply said, Firaxis wants to make simpler, faster games that are more likely to please the online multiplayer crowd than those single players who want long, deep games.

4. Junglecutter

Junglecutter Honorable Delegate

I've played the demo and can't wait for Railrods to be released in Singapore

5. Bleser

Bleser Prince

I keep playing the demo over and over again and can't wait to buy the real game. I think you have to be a train fan in general to really love this game (and the other games in the Railroad Tycoon series)... if you don't enjoy locking the camera on a train and just watching it run along your rails, then you'll never love this game as much as others do.

6. Geekyone

Geekyone Chieftain

Honestly you guys are not missing anything by haven't not yet played this game. It is really a bad game right now. The next patch and whatever ones come aftet that have a lot of work to make up for.

Plus, get an account at Direct2Drive then you only have to wait for games as long as it takes you to download them.

7. FeelGood

FeelGood Emphatic Diplomat

So far, I agree, it`s the worst ever. Lot`s of bugs, lagging and CTDs. However, I still "like" this game and eagerly awaiting for the patch!

8. millansoft

millansoft Warlord

I really like all the Firaxis games, I have/had a lot of fun with them but I'm surprised that this ugly game is from them. This game needs six-ten months more of development, don't expect a miracle with a patch, just bugfixes to avoid crashes.

9. rupertlittlebea

rupertlittlebea Prince

if that much

10. Monkson

Monkson Chieftain

I think RailRoads! is pretty fun. It is not something that I will play all the time right now, but I will come back to it every so often.

11. Krupo

Krupo Old-time newsgrouper

It's probably one of their "easiest" titles ever, which is by design, and will no doubt piss off everyone's inner fanboy (no, it already has).

But despite being easy, it's oh-so-fun. :)

12. Gray_Lensman

Gray_Lensman Chieftain

I made the mistake of ordering this game based on Sid Meier's and Firaxis reputation for delivering good quality products. Even after the Civ III fiasco, I figured that their reputation would not allow that to happen again. Alas, I seriously misjudged them. To me they are no longer a top of the line software design company, and any future game design release will have to bear a lot more scrutiny via forums such as these before I purchase any more of their products.

original Sid Meier's Railroad Tycoon = Top of the Line Quality product
    but Sid Meier's Railroads = Junk

13. Shawnosaurus

Shawnosaurus Esoteric Idiot

With the patch ... Railroads is a pretty fun game. I quite enjoy it and don't come across any issues (technical or gameplay) that I noticed. My only concern is that the replay ability might be low for the price. I imagine multiplayer fans are likely to get more bang for their buck than I have.

14. Bleser

Bleser Prince

I agree that the patch pretty much saved this game - but the performance is still ver sub-par and makes me think my computer is way out of date (which it isn't). It is either very CPU/memory intensive or simpy inefficient in the way it does things behind the scenes. Afer I buy a new train or move the camera to a different map location, it seems to do all sorts of calculations in real-time that make it run at 5-10 FPS for about 15 seconds and then it is back to 30FPS... so it isn't a video card/graphics limitation, but CPU horsepower. The situation gets worse as the game goes on, and if you are playing with 2-3 AI competitors, the problem is only compounded. As soon as you buy out & liquidate those competitors the performance goes up considerably.

15. texta149

texta149 Chieftain

This game ran fine from me from version 1.0 and I think it's fantastic. If Railroads is the worst game Firaxis ever make then they should be damn, freaking happy!

16. Bleser

Bleser Prince

Cheers to that! :goodjob:

17. Reignking

Reignking Prince

Question: for those that actually think this is a good game, have you played any of the older versions?

18. Bleser

Bleser Prince

Yep. I started back in 1991 with the original. I played it for years loving every minute of it, but wished it had this and that (can't remember exactly - but I do remember a bug that would cause me to have negative $30mil once I achieved $30mil in cash!).

I then played RRT2 forever, remembering it as a "big improvement" but still had some flaws (mainly in the way track was laid... straight, 45 degrees, or up. No tunnels was sad.) Management of the late-game was difficult as well.

I tried to like RRT3, but never really "got" the goods system and found the auto-consist to be far to mind-numbing. I just laid tracks and the computer did the rest. I was bored within a few weeks.

SMR reminds me of the economics of RRT1 & 2, but with the great graphics and tracking laying of RRT3 (actually I think it has far superior graphics to RRT3). It may have dumbed-down the stock system, but I don't mind too much - as long as I can still take over my competitors. :)

19. Great_Scott

Great_Scott aka Cottus Arci

I agree this is a pretty simple game. I've played 3 times now, and won easily. And I mean easily.

I find there is one critical flaw: Where is the map showing cities and industries? I find myself all the time, even though I know better, pressing the M, then Ctrl-M, and wondering... where is the map?

Secondly, the map is far too small. FAR too small.

Thirdly, what... no map maker?

Fourthly, not enough industries. Before long you have the industries all controlled!

Anyone ever play Chris Sawyers Transport Tycoon? I still prefer that one.

20. AlabamaCajun

AlabamaCajun Chieftain

I've played several games with only one making it through without a crash. I just downloaded the patch which should stop the crashes.
    Trucks:
    CGI - The graphics team did an excellant job with the graphics.
    Track and structure placement editor does most of what you want it to.
    Sucks:
    Slows down early in the game (AM2 4600 oced 2.65Ghz, DDR800 with a NV7600GS).
    Maps squeezed/claustraphobic as everyone is saying. This is noticable even in Civ4. Double the map size and it will be awesome and still fast.
    Clock runs to fast for what you can do.

[edit]Moved my wish list to the request thread[/edit]
    I rate it a 4 out of 5!