1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

worst start EVER

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by readercolin, May 29, 2009.

1. readercolin

readercolin King

So I just started a game in FF in multiplayer. There was an OOS the first turn, and we were like "WTF". So we loaded the autosave, and behold - what did I find.

There was my starting location, 1 warrior, 1 scout. And no settler... Right where the settler usually would be (between the scout and warrior), was a goblin fort, inhabited by a goblin archer.

This ever happened to anyone else before?

-Colin

P.S. sorry, was so surprised that we restarted before I thought to take a screenshot...

2. Vitek

Vitek Chieftain

Heh, I was going to write some of mine bad starts to overcome this, but well this one is propably unsurpassable. :lol:

3. cyther

cyther Lord of the Dance

That is a bug. I checked and there is no block in FfH, yoo should report it to both Kael and the FF team.

4. psychoak

psychoak Warlord

That's not the worst start. You don't waste any time on it. Finding out you're entirely surrounded by mountains 50 turns in when you finally get a scout to survive the friendly neighborhood griffon long enough to see past your borders... That's the worst possible start.

5. ICanHasName?

ICanHasName? Warlord

Yea I hate blowing 50 or 75 turns on a game only to find out I'm isolated and thus automatically win.

Edit: If you happened to start 10 turns away from the Kurios, you could possibly warrior rush them. They like to defend their cities with 1 warrior :lol:

6. Luckmann

Luckmann Esusian Epicure

If you're playing FF, doesn't this belong in the FF forum?

7. Avahz Darkwood

Avahz Darkwood Emperor

See

Apparently not :)

8. Luckmann

Luckmann Esusian Epicure

My point is that it should be the other way around. The thread itself belongs in FF, and then the conclusion that it's a bug can be reached, and then a post in the bug thread.

I'm starting to get seriously annoyed by these masses of FF posts and threads on the FFH forum, when FF already has it's dedicated subforum.

9. Imuratep

Imuratep Cultist of the Old Ones

My worst start was even worse than yours... All my units were set directly adjectant to pristinus pass (but it was in FfH not in FF). As we played simultan turns the gargoyles attacked me before I could react to move any unit and I could not even theoretically use my units to conquer anything.

10. readercolin

readercolin King

@Imuratep - yeah... that is probably worse. FFH strength 8 gargoyles are a bit... op in the early game.

@Luckman - this happened while I was playing FF. As both FF AND FFH start out with all goblin forts already containing 1 goblin archer though, it could happen in either. Therefore, even though in my specific case, it was in FF, it is entirely possible for it to happen in FFH, so I was wondering if it had - or if anyone else had any worse starts, no matter what mod they happened to be running. Think a little please before hitting the auto-complain button.

-Colin

11. Iguanna

Iguanna Chieftain

Not once, but twice in the last 15 or so starts (FfH) my units began in the tile adjacent to the Guardian of the pristine pass. I don't know what the chances of that are, but it really did happen, right next to the thing, twice. Of coarse as soon as I saw I rolled my eyes and restarted. Getting a game going can be such a drag sometimes.

12. WarKirby

WarKirby Arty person

This particular case is an amusing anecdote. Would it really have made a difference if it were FFH? The same thing could still happen.

The big FFH picture thread regularly gets pictures from other FFH modmods too. it's not like these things are a problem.
    I do agree that threads exclusively about FF stuff don't belong here though.

13. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

Once I got a game where it was a huge Erebus map, but mine was only 50 tiles big and I started next to Prisitnus(spellcheck) Pass so I ran... and found the exit blocked by a lake, don't worry it gets better-I was Malakim, but there weren't any flood plains or oases :cry:

14. Fenboy

Fenboy King

Way back in Shadow, when Barbatos could start on a map (and would usually take down 1-2 civs with his Earth Elemental and Wraith summons), I won a duel game nearly instantly. A quick check of the worldbuilder revealed he had spawned right next to my rival...

15. Luckmann

Luckmann Esusian Epicure

Those annoy me tremendously aswell. But that was ongoing long before I got here, so I haven't brought it up. It wouldn't be good tone to go into a thread that came about long before I showed up and tell people how they should do things.

But yeah, that annoys the hell out of me too.

16. Emptiness

Emptiness []

This reminded me of this start I had:
    Spoiler start near the guardian :
    Sounds like your position was even worse than mine, though.

Of all my bad starts, though, this was the most annoying:
    Spoiler didn't see that coming :

17. TechnoMule

TechnoMule Chieftain

I'd just spent several minutes customizing my game with the number of AIs and options I wanted, and started the game. I stepped my scout one tile west of its starting location, and found Guardian of Pristin Pass. Ugh.

I headed back to the main menu, and set up another game (spending another minute or two configuring it). This was the result.

Spoiler :

The THIRD game I started was a bad start too-- no insane barbarians or anything, just a crappy location.

My fourth game was finally a Go.

18. retro V

retro V Prince

You can set your own default options and even hide options you never use by editing the /assets/xml/gameoptionsinfo.xml file. As to changing the default number of AIs per mapsize, well, I'd love to know that myself.

19. TechnoMule

TechnoMule Chieftain

The path is actually:

\Assets\XML\Gameinfo\CIV4GameOptionInfos.xml

But thanks for posting that. I was going to ask if there was a way to set some of the options so I wouldn't have to do it every time.

20. TechnoMule

TechnoMule Chieftain

Looks like you can change the default number of players in Assets\XML\Gameinfo\CIV4WorldInfo.xml
    Spoiler :
    <WorldInfo>
    <Type>WORLDSIZE_STANDARD</Type>
    <Description>TXT_KEY_WORLD_STANDARD</Description>
    <Help>TXT_KEY_WORLD_STANDARD_HELP</Help>
    <iDefaultPlayers>7</iDefaultPlayers>
    <iUnitNameModifier>20</iUnitNameModifier>
    <iTargetNumCities>5</iTargetNumCities>
    <iNumFreeBuildingBonuses>5</iNumFreeBuildingBonuses>
    <iBuildingClassPrereqModifier>0</iBuildingClassPrereqModifier>
    <iMaxConscriptModifier>25</iMaxConscriptModifier>
    <iWarWearinessModifier>-10</iWarWearinessModifier>