Worst start ever?

You have a luxury, fish, and temperate terrain. For it to be the worst start *ever* you'd need that island to be snow/tundra surrounded by ice with no resources, and a barb camp on the other end of the island.

Seriously though, that's pretty bad. Especially as Assyria. If only you were playing as Venice.

Well, at least there's plenty of fishes! Imagine if you'd picked Japan, dem culture gainz.

that would be a kickass start to play just as an attempt. Also, God of the Sea would work perfectly. You would need a lot of production in your only city.

Might not be a so bad start if you can rush a trireme and explore the outer world. But if you are completely isolated then i agree about having a real bad start.

Out of curiousity, where would you build the city?

I'd be tempted to go on the (obscured) hill with the silver (?). It gives you the defence bonus and gets you all the fish in the three-ring city.

I'd send out the Warrior to explore first (should be completed on turn 0), but I'd probably settle on the plains between the hills.

What are you going to defend yourself against? ;)

wow, I am really surprised the balancer didn't give you sea luxuries. I've never seen a single-lux start like that. This looks really fun, can you please post save?

but I'd probably settle on the plains between the hills.

Me too. Your main pain here will be crappy production. As tempting as it is to settle on the hill I wouldn't. If you leave all the hills you can mine them later for a better production and have forests to chop for production boost. If you settle on one of them you have neither. Settling on plains makes the yield the same as a farmed plain, which is all that will yield until fertilizer.

The start will be difficult due to growth and isolation so you need lighthouse and disembarkment ASAP. I'd beeline optics. Don't even open the library tech, you'll be growing too slowly for a library to do you much good until a lighthouse. then it will be great. Looking at the terrain a +2 food from fish is a crappy start for hammers. I might do this until I grow to pop 2 then take the forested hill of silver next. It will yield some nice gold +1 food and +1 hammer. Sheep next. production will be too terrible if you work more than 1 unimproved fish.

Tech Order: Pottery-->Sailing-->Optics-->mining/writing-->calender-->philosophy-->animal husbandry (you don't need ANY military until you get off-island and start exploring)

With a start like that, you NEED God of the Sea. Obviously tradition for tenets.

build order: monument, start work on scout if you finish, switch to shrine as soon as pottery is completed and cross fingers for pantheon, build granary, finish scout and keep building them until sailing is finished, then: 4 work boats in a row (gotta grow as quick as possible) route them in a way that explores a bit farther as you move them into position on the fish. worker isn't even worth it as you can't chop forests and there is only 1 tile to farm possible, trireme to explore, then, when optics finishes, embark warrior and your waiting scouts and find CS as quick as possible. Maybe another trireme, library and worker after mining. AS SOON as you find a nice nearby spot settlers, settlers. If there is anything in range, build trade ships immediately as you'll be suffering badly on gold.

That screenshot made me remember my old one tile island start in civ 3 xD

I played that one out, turns out I was in a middle of ocean and was very backward by the time I made contact, it took alot of trireme suicides with settlers in them just to start to catch up.

I had so little production.

I think you will survive just fine if you can settle in place and grab god of sea pantheon plus harbors will make your capital have pretty good production plus sheep hills/silver mines.

You might experience alot of barbarian triremes beelining for you though, make sure to crank them out to explore/confirm the situation. So that you will know you need a navy or not.

That should be the save file, no quite isolated but trying to get a city on the 'mainland' beside you will be quite the task.....

Attachments

• AutoSave_Initial_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    465.4 KB · Views: 69
[..] but I'd probably settle on the plains between the hills.

I think so too. You'll need every single hammer (mines + chops) This is a fine city 'til pop 12 or so. Even then you have enough food to run scientists and guilds.

Need to find better production cities to settle/conquer. Mining, Optics and Compass look like early priorities. I think there is a good chance of shallow water connections. Delay NC, perhaps, hoping for a better location? I'd play it out :)

Early Galleass become demons once they have +1 Range. Iron for Frigates is a future challenge.

Worker -> Monument -> Shrine/Granary?

Monument -> Worker -> Granary?

Monument -> Shrine -> Granary (Liberty -> Citizenship)? Too slow, I think.

Edit: Oooh, a save. I'll try this later

Dunno about the worker first. You don't have much to work until mining and you need the food from sailing/optics ASAP, as there is no good food anywhere until you get a granary, the fish improved, or build a lighthouse. Any other order has you growing like a snail for even more years which will hurt you long-run.

I agreed at first about saving the hills for chopping/mining later due to crappy production potential, but I'm thinking now, since this is the first city, that maybe that passive hammer from the hill start is a must given the terrible growth. The forest would give +20 hammers after chopping, but I'm guessing you couldn't have chopped it for at least 20 turns anyway. I'd rather have faster earlier production. If you are gonna work a flat +2 food fish to get growth you want the 2 hammers from the start. Otherwise everything slows down and if you don't work the fish--well, goodbye to growth and teching to optics is gonna take ages. I might do an experiment to see which turns out better. I would go monument first, then shrine as soon as possible as fast as possible. You want God of the Sea immediately. It would really salvage this spot as far as production. Then granary.

As far as tile-working, this spot is gonna peter out at 3-pop until work boats. Reason being, continuing to work +2 food fish will get slower and slower. You're better off settling hill. working a fish. After growth working the gold hill for +1 food, +1 hammer, +2 gold. You will be growing really, really slow at this point and could stop at 2 pop by working the sheep for even better production, depends on how slow it is I guess and how close granary is. Spam work boats as soon as possible and the famine lifts.

What is a shuffle map?
1. It randomly picks one map type. Continents or Archipelago one or the other? (I thought that was just called Random)
2. Anything, a mixture of any map types. Continent and Archipelago combined on the same map?

Top Bottom