Worst Starting Point

Synobun

Deity
Now this is what I call a bad start to a game:

I am, however, continuing on with this game.

Some info:

My island had nothing! All it had were 2 spices. The other islands I went on (to the right), NADA, ZILCH. Then I sacrificed some galleys, two made it through the ocean tiles, and I started exploring the coast. Then, when I got Navigation, I decided to mass settle on the left. I did so, and I got Saltpeter, Iron, 2 gems, and horses because of it! Now is that luck or what...

EDIT: I am the green.

It does look like a pretty bad start location. :) But: if you want to discuss bad starts, there are numerous threads in the General Discussion forums; if you want some advice, you should have attached a save. ;)

Edit: That screen appears only when you retire from the game... :mischief:

No, no advice, I was deciding between posting this in strategy and general discussion, and decided on this forum.

The only comment I'd make from looking at that shot is it appears that you were playing against only 1 opponent. The fewer civs in a game, the fewer resources you'll find on a map.

If that's a tiny map, the default number of civs (4) would give you twice as many resources. If it's small (I can't really tell), the default would be 6 civs and have 3 times as many resources.

Anyway, that would explain why you had nothing but the 2 spices. :mischief:

The only comment I'd make from looking at that shot is it appears that you were playing against only 1 opponent. The fewer civs in a game, the fewer resources you'll find on a map.

If that's a tiny map, the default number of civs (4) would give you twice as many resources. If it's small (I can't really tell), the default would be 6 civs and have 3 times as many resources.

Anyway, that would explain why you had nothing but the 2 spices. :mischief:

Huge map.

No, their continent had all the resources.

No, their continent had all the resources.

The resources are distributed randomly, on average, they are distributed evenly. But only on average.

(except lux resources, they are distributed in clumps of the same resource to allow different civ to monopolize on type of lux, so that trade opportunities exist, but these clumps are then distributed more or less evenly)

The fewer the resources, the bigger the chance that all of them will be together on one place.
The more resources, the smaller the chance that all of them are on one place.

The amount of resources is by a large factor determined by the amount of civ.
If you play with only very few other civ, there will be very few of each resource type. So there is a big chance that they will all be together. So there will be a bigger chance there will be none near your start.

On the plus side it'll be harder to kill you off if you get in a war with the blue, which one would asume is invitable

I hope you at least jumped/moved your palace to the middle of the largest of the islands you colonized!

Why did you chose only 1 enemy civ. I used to only pick 1 enemy but then I realised how much funner it is. Military alliances and huge naval wars (I like That!)

Why did you chose only 1 enemy civ. I used to only pick 1 enemy but then I realised how much funner it is. Military alliances and huge naval wars (I like That!)

It was a "quick" game, so much for that eh.

Top Bottom