1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Worst Unique Unit

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Molybdeus, Dec 18, 2007.

?

Which is the worst UU?

1. Ballista Elephant

129 vote(s)
    24.2%
  2. Bowman

17 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. Camel Archer

41 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. Carrack

10 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Cossack

5 vote(s)
    0.9%
  6. Dog Soldier

11 vote(s)
    2.1%
  7. East Indiaman

30 vote(s)
    5.6%
  8. Fast Worker

17 vote(s)
    3.2%
  9. Gallic Warriors

37 vote(s)
    6.9%
  10. Holkan

10 vote(s)
    1.9%
  11. Hwacha

26 vote(s)
    4.9%
  12. Impi

5 vote(s)
    0.9%
  13. Jaguar

53 vote(s)
    9.9%
  14. Janissary

2 vote(s)
    0.4%
  15. Keshik

7 vote(s)
    1.3%
  16. Musketeer

35 vote(s)
    6.6%
  17. Navy Seal

41 vote(s)
    7.7%
  18. Numidian Cavalry

5 vote(s)
    0.9%
  19. Panzer

20 vote(s)
    3.8%
  20. Phalanx

6 vote(s)
    1.1%
  21. Quechua

7 vote(s)
    1.3%
  22. Samurai

2 vote(s)
    0.4%
  23. Skirmisher

5 vote(s)
    0.9%
  24. War Chariot

5 vote(s)
    0.9%
  25. Vulture

7 vote(s)
    1.3%
  1. Molybdeus

Molybdeus Prince

All of the unique units have their uses, but some -like the Praetorian- are better than the others. Which unique unit do you feel is the worst?

(Cataphract, Cho-Ko-Nu, Immortal, Landsknecht, Oromo Warrior, Praetorian and Redcoat are not included on the poll for obvious reasons.)

2. Darth Meanie

Darth Meanie Warlord

Well Jaguars are very situational and weaker than they're counterparts. They are only useful if you have a lot of woods/jungle and no iron. Otherwise they are useless, Axemen w/out a melee bonus.

3. madscientist

madscientist RPC Supergenius

:lol: :lol: :lol: Starting this argument again. Tha Balista War Elephants is the most absolutely useless UU in the game. A stupid ability for a rare unit.

After that I think the Dutch and Portugese UU is pretty week simply because they are naval units.

After the dumb Balista elephant I think the haiwcha which took a serious nerve in BTS. It is essentially a defensive unit now, when you bring it to assault a city it's typically barraging or attacking longbows.

4. Quotey

Quotey Emperor

Camel Archer, Camel Archer, Camel Archer. NO QUESTION. No ability for a commonish resource. For a unit that noone builds. Then Hwacha. 50% bonus against melee? Good luck with the withdrawal thing, no, really!

5. madscientist

Except in BTS they can get to woodsman III pretty easy now which is not a trivial promotion and can be upgraded. Woodman III, combat I can shred any forrest defenders and be able to heal pretty fast. Not the best, but I would say maybe a tad under average.

6. xanadux

xanadux King

Gallic warrior. Who needs a guerilla sword?

Honorable mention ... musketeer ... now your mostly useless unit has 2 movement.

All the others mentioned here ... carracks, camel archers, and East Indiamen can be very useful in the right situations.

7. Florian

Florian Prince

Ballista Elephant. The only thing worse than having a gimmicky UU with a single highly specific application is not even being able to build it 75% of the time.

At least Camel Archers come with their own magically produced dromedaries. Horses are a resource. Camels simply appear wherever there are Arabs.

8. xanadux

xanadux King

2nd honrable mention does go to the Ballista Elephant ... it's just too common to not be able to build it. But if you can, it is useful, if a low tier UU.

9. Philo_Beddoe

Philo_Beddoe Chieftain

Camel Archers replace knights. You dont build knights? Iron and Horses are common?

Jaguars for the win.

10. Quotey

Quotey Emperor

Very sorry, my mistake. I assumed that Camel Archers replaced Horse Archers, having never played Arabia. My point still stands though- yes, Horses and Iron are common enough that if you don't have them by KNIGHTS you should just resign. Again, my mistake, sorry.

11. madscientist

The thing about muskateer is that the can keep up with knights/crussairs (used to cavalry but that's not an issue anymore). Get gunpowder, astronomy, chemistry and bombard coastal cities with frigates while you muskateers/crussair run up and down the shore line. Muskateers can also retreat after an attack to heal, and can move from city to city quickly for defense. Probably an average UU I think.

12. PotatoOverdose

PotatoOverdose Prince

Actually, if you're at the stage in development of your civilization where you can build knights, having horses and iron is pretty common. True, on some rare occasions you won't have it, but for the most part not having iron and horses by the time of being able to research guilds is a sign of poor expansion/conquest which can be the sign of a bad player.
    Both of those UU's are amazing if their is any appreciable amount of water on a map. Unlike certain other UU's that fail regardless of map type, like the Ballista Elephant, Hwacha, Bowman, and Holkan.

13. qwertz

qwertz Prince

ballista elephants are a sort of normal elephant with other graphics, but at least they aren't worse than their base unit; unlike jaguars :rolleyes:

14. InvisibleStalke

InvisibleStalke Emperor

It is common to have them, but its not certain. And what if you aren't playing for a military victory? Having camel archers means you can count on mobile defense without having to go to war to get it. Which fits with a protective leader and the type of game that Saladin lends himself to.

I'd prefer it to be a bit stronger - not just having the resourceless bonus but an actual advantage. So its still a weak UU. But it doesn't compare to me with the Hwacha which gets a bonus against a unit type it will probably never face and can't kill anyway.

15. InvisibleStalke

InvisibleStalke Emperor

Jaguars are way cool. They are only three promotions away from being super medics with forest3medic1. Thats pretty much as good as medic3 and you don't need to burn a great general.

With forest2 they are highly mobile pillagers. And since its a promotion they keep it when they upgrade to maces.

16. Supr49er

Supr49er 2011 Thunderfall Cup

Like everything else, it depends.

My style of play usually ends games before the modern era, so the modern Navy Seal units rarely come into use.

17. PotatoOverdose

PotatoOverdose Prince

Well, it was my point to say it is common to have horses and iron by that point in the game, and you agreed with that so... yea.

BTW, I voted for the Bowman because its the most pointless UU ever, IMO. You should not be building any appreciable quantities of archers to begin with, and if you have to build them, they only serve for defensive purposes and you shouldn't build that many of them anyway. At least skirmishers have a base strength of 4 which means that all of their promotions will multiply on a larger base number...thats something at least.

18. Darth Meanie

Darth Meanie Warlord

Who voted for bowman? A bowman rush on low dificulties is viable, and they keep you safe from enemy rushes.

19. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

For me, definitely the Korean UU.... A military UU that can't kill :nope: A close second for the Jag..... I can only think on using them in Arboria or Boreal.

20. Supr49er

Supr49er 2011 Thunderfall Cup

I got my Knights destroyed out of my protected stack by these Ballista Elephants. I have a healthy respect for these horse killers.

Not on a water map. You can attack across the ocean early in the game with the carrack.