1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Worst Wonder

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Strategy & Tips' started by ArmOrAttAk, Jul 1, 2002.

?

Vote whichever you think worst. You don't ever want to build it, hate it, etc

1. Great Library

19 vote(s)
    5.4%
  2. Oracle

72 vote(s)
    20.3%
  3. Lighthouse

61 vote(s)
    17.2%
  4. Eiffel Tower

100 vote(s)
    28.2%
  5. Manhattan Project

80 vote(s)
    22.5%
  6. Other (specify)

23 vote(s)
    6.5%
  1. ArmOrAttAk

ArmOrAttAk Chieftain

Vote whichever you think worst. You don't ever want to build it, hate it, etc

2. kmad

kmad Chieftain

Great library narrowly beats out lighthouse

I've used all the others before

3. KingWilly

KingWilly Melbournite

The Oracle, becomes obsolete too early. Waste of time.

I really only build Manhattan Project if the AI is trying to build it.

4. Smash

Smash Super Lurker Retired Moderator

No its the Tower.That one really does nothing at all.

5. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

:goodjob: :king:

6. WinstonJen

WinstonJen Chieftain

I agree. You don't get any points for having a spotless reputation, and if you're strong enough, you can bully tribute from everyone else and they'll offer a ceasefire which you'll break anyway! :D

7. Titi

Titi Chieftain

Maybe, but the very moment the Manhattan Project is completed you keep on receiving nukes from all other civs (at least in my experience).

I usually build this one so that it is completed just one year before I arrive at Alpha Centauri (well, at least that's what I try to achieve !)

8. duke o' york

duke o' york It don't mean a thing....

Yep, I think everyone does that with Manhattan, but I can see that it would be a great bonus if you were way behind in a game. I voted for the Eiffel Tower as it is basically worthless. It just doesn't do anything! I don't like the Great Library either, but have found that the Lighthouse and Oracle are more useful than people think. The AI never has Theology as a priority so it is useful as long as you can put off researching it. Once you have finished Mike's then it isn't worth a lot, working or not, but while you're building it then it can make the difference between harmony and anarchy. The Lighthouse also allows you to build vet ironclads which prove very powerful in the early industrial ages. This is assuming you can go to Steam Engine rather than Magnetism, which is an AI favourite, but you only need a few turns to churn out monitors and make yourself the ruler of the seas. :goodjob:

9. cliff

cliff Deity

True, the eiffel tower doesn't do anything, but that is still better than the great library which I think is harmful. Now, think about when you find huts early in the game. If you pop them what's the worst thing that can happen? It is to get a junker tech such as warrior code, right?

Now, let's assume that you have been lucky and avoided all the junkies. Why then make sure that you get all these junkers by building the great library? If you desperately need them, you can trade for them with the ai instead.

10. sethos

sethos no allies

Yes, I agree to cliff; Marco Polo's is more useful than the GL; MP helps you to discover the world and you can trade the needed techs.

11. ferenginar

ferenginar Grand Nagus

The Eiffel Tower DOES have a use!

It gives those French jumpers an excellent platform. :lol:
    :jump:
    :splat:

ferenginar

12. Marlos

Marlos Christian Soldier

This was an easy choice, Eiffel Tower. It's a complete waste. Oracle is also pretty useless, though.

I considered Manhattan Project, though, only because I never build it and do my best to prevent its construction. :hammer: I hate nukes, but my feelings about that do not make the wonder useless.

13. seanwel

seanwel Emperor

Hey - I'm New Here
    True, the Eiffel Tower isn't a very good wonder, but Darwin's Voyage is a waste of time. Darwin's Voyage equates one technology advance with building a granary in every city (the Pyramids). The Eiffel Tower can be useful in the one city challenge or if one is losing to the AI, which is often the situation I am presented with. I play King Level, and have yet to win, but I am getting better if anyone cares...

14. kmad

kmad Chieftain

If you think Darwin's Voyage sucks, go back to Chieftain

15. seanwel

seanwel Emperor

I will consider your advice, but would like to note that I have yet to lose in king (I am playing my first game in king). If you could tell me why you consider Darwin's Voyage to be so important, I will be greatly appreciative.

16. ArmOrAttAk

ArmOrAttAk Chieftain

Darwin's Voyage cements your tech lead, it give 2 advances not 1.
    I voted for Oracle. This thing is usually expired before it's ever built in my games...
    Eiffel Tower is very useful to start building while you're researching Railroad. Then make the quick switch over to Darwins :p

17. seanwel

seanwel Emperor

I understand that Darwin' Voyage yields two civilization advances, but it costs twice as many shields as the pyramids. That is why I made the comparison of one advance to the granary in every city.

18. floppa21

floppa21 Crusty Manhole

Welcome seanwel!

I personally think Darwin's is good, usually I am in the lead by the time it is available and when it is built, I am in the lead +2! Also, the land is worked by this point so it may require twice as many shields but it is probably built as quick as the pyramids were in the beginning. I voted Oracle most useless. Too easy to be made obsolete, although the video for it is purdy... :)

19. Dark Ascendant

Dark Ascendant Darkness Ascending...

Oh yeah, I agree that the Tower isn't really worth building, capturing perhaps, but the shields can go elsewhere. Now Manhattan, that I realy don't like, I've seen the stupid AI handle a war...

I avoid that unless my oppenents are way behind the tech race. Very useful for squeezing tribute from the other civs though. Respect and fear all for a mere 160 shields.

20. kmad

kmad Chieftain

Actually, when I'm playing Emperor or Deity, I'm usually too busy expanding to get Hanging Gardens first, so I just build temples and Oracle. It's usually good for a long time. I know my strategy could use a lot of improvement but I've yet to figure out how