Worth 50$ ?!?!

Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it.
-Publilius Syrus

I haven't decided yet whether to buy BE when it comes out. I probably won't until the time comes. I haven't paid full cost for a game in years, but I think if I were going to buy any game new, it would probably be the next Civ game.

Lol. There's one in every thread.

I found him guys!!

One what? One person who disagrees? You boys make x amount of threads, so I respond Y amount of times.

;)

Actually, he's been repeating the same opinion across several threads: the game's a mod/reskin and he's gonna buy it heavily discounted. :p

Two threads so far I think.

:blush:

CivRev is a different target audience, so no idea... but what was wrong with XCOM:EU? It was a very good game, critically acclaimed and they gave us a great expansion pack as well. What else could you want?

Nothing per se. I have about 170 hours into it and EW, it's just that that teleportation bug killed so many of my ironman games. :(

Back to the main point. Why can't I state my opinion? It's not offensive. It doesn't force anyone to do what I do? right.....

Why can't I state my opinion?
It's not that you're not entitled to your opinion (X hours of gameplay are not worth 50$ to you, everybody has their own "what is it worth" scale), but that your assumption "it's just a reskin/mod/dlc" is wrong.

It's using the same engine, but if things sharing the same engine and genre are "reskins", then Skyrim and Fallout 3 are just reskins, then Neverwinter Nights and The Witcher are just the reskins, then Arkham Asylum and Arkham City are just reskins...

More to the point...
Portal 2 is just a reskin of the original CS.
The source (no pun intended) is Half-Life 2. Its engine spawned a great many mods and standalone games.

It's not that you're not entitled to your opinion (X hours of gameplay are not worth 50$ to you, everybody has their own "what is it worth" scale), but that your assumption "it's just a reskin/mod/dlc" is wrong.

It's using the same engine, but if things sharing the same engine and genre are "reskins", then Skyrim and Fallout 3 are just reskins, then Neverwinter Nights and The Witcher are just the reskins, then Arkham Asylum and Arkham City are just reskins...

I believe I am allowed to assume what ever it is I like, no? I stated my reasons, I don't think I was trying to sway anyone to my "camp".

I am glad they are using the CIV5 engine. They've worked many bugs out of it, what I am unhappy about is that it looks more like an expansion or a full sized DLC. Again, this is just my opinion.

Since I'd be the one buying it, I believe I am entitled.

I believe I am allowed to assume what ever it is I like, no?

That's fair. Personally, I'm not taking your opinion seriously. I wouldn't trust anyone that eats babies.

On topic, personally, it's not worth $50 to me. I prefer the standard Civ historical setting and will almost definitely spend most of my time playing Civ V even if I owned BE. (I didn't even pay full price on BNW. I got it like 10% off.) But some people prefer sci-fi games. Maybe it's a smaller group, but the game and full pricing caters to that group. A sale price a year or two down the line aims at a larger group.

It depends what your criteria are and how good the game ends up.
It's hard to assess the value of something nobody has really experienced.

Maybe it's released barebone and then 50$ will feel expensive or it will be a massive new experience worthy of hundred of hours in which case 50$ is fine.

I believe I am allowed to assume what ever it is I like, no? I stated my reasons, I don't think I was trying to sway anyone to my "camp".

I am glad they are using the CIV5 engine. They've worked many bugs out of it, what I am unhappy about is that it looks more like an expansion or a full sized DLC. Again, this is just my opinion.

Since I'd be the one buying it, I believe I am entitled.

Sure, you can assume anything you want. If you want to assume that the Statue of Liberty is just a reskin of the Eiffel Tower because they were both built by the French around the same time period, then you're free to do so. It doesn't mean you're right. But, whatever, knock your socks off.

It depends what your criteria are and how good the game ends up.
It's hard to assess the value of something nobody has really experienced.

Maybe it's released barebone and then 50$ will feel expensive or it will be a massive new experience worthy of hundred of hours in which case 50$ is fine.

Exactly.

Fifty now, or fifty then, or whatever I end up paying if I chose to buy it.

Sure, you can assume anything you want. If you want to assume that the Statue of Liberty is just a reskin of the Eiffel Tower because they were both built by the French around the same time period, then you're free to do so. It doesn't mean you're right. But, whatever, knock your socks off.

Take it easy, you seem to be getting all worked up. What does me being right have to do with anything? If I'm right, will you not purchase it? If I am wrong, will you go and buy two copies to prove some other point. Go and bug some other people that won't/don't/can't buy it at the moment you decided you will. Go prove them wrong. Tell them how they're "THE ONE".

I think YOU'RE that GUY, the counter naysayer. But, whatever, knock your socks off.

This man, ladies and gentlemen. He needs a cookie.

He'll need many more when he discovers how currency works and that is has no fixed value at all. Now if i'd just not find naiveté so damn cute... :p

For how many people does that actualy matter ? I get angry about being nickle and dimed for DLC, sometimes rant about the good old days when everything was cheaper and get most of my games on steam sales for under ten bucks, but when I see big studio titles that I'm really interested in I don't think about money. My bigest concern is "is it worth my time ?", and given the age of the average PC gamer I think it is similar for many people who think about getting Beyond Earth.

Nope. I'll wait until it's playable & cheap. So probably 2-3 yrs.

Top Bottom