Worth 50$ ?!?!

I recently checked the BE features thread and it said that BE would be sold for 50$. What the hell?!? I get that CIV 5 costed about 80$ with DLCs + Core game + Expansions, but all of that added up to make the game as a whole.

So, do you guys think that this game is really worth 50 $ ?

Where's the source for the $50 price tag?

I doubt an official price has been announced, but that's a reasonable guess for a brand new AAA title.

Well, I paid ~40$ for my preorder and I believe I was ripped off. The more I learn about the game the more screwed I feel so I stopped reading about it almost entirely :p There's also the thing about showing all Slavs as russian which is straightforward insulting, especially now after the terrorist attack russians conducted against a passenger airplane...

All in all, I haven't canceled my preorder so my subconscious mind must still thing that it's worth the money.

Also,
Where's the source for the $50 price tag?
https://www.civilization.com/us/buy/?game=1&region=1&platform=6&retailer=46
It seems to be the suggested price.

SMAC was just a reskin of Civ2 :/

Lols... Anyway. As a student I'm low on money, and the 50€ it will cost here in Germany are OK, but I will try to get it for 38€ from greenmangaming then.

Well, I paid ~40$ for my preorder and I believe I was ripped off. The more I learn about the game the more screwed I feel so I stopped reading about it almost entirely :p There's also the thing about showing all Slavs as russian which is straightforward insulting, especially now after the terrorist attack russians conducted against a passenger airplane...
Don't confuse speculation with official information.

Officially, the only thing we know about the Slavic Federation is its name and that it's led on the alien planet by one General Kozlov. Oh, and the faction icon, which I posted a screenshot of in the main SF thread.

That's about it.

All in all, I haven't canceled my preorder so my subconscious mind must still thing that it's worth the money.

Also,

https://www.civilization.com/us/buy/?game=1&region=1&platform=6&retailer=46
It seems to be the suggested price.

Those best buy prices aren't official though,your $40 dollars sounds about what I've heard from interviews. Also none of that stuff out the Slavic Federation has been confirmed it's just people being hyper nationalistic and making up stuff.

Is it worth $50? I don't know. Do you need it at release? Or can you wait a few months for it to be put on sale, a few more for it to be permanently reduced in price, or even a few more after that for it to be put on deep Steam discount?

I prefer the standard Civ historical setting and will almost definitely spend most of my time playing Civ V even if I owned BE.
This is my first time reading through the BE forum; I knew nothing about the game other that it has been announced and is in development.

I definitely feel you on this one. It's starting to remind me of SMAC, except I wasn't actively playing a civ game when SMAC released, and so the complete disconnect from historical factions wasn't problematic for me.

Or can you wait a few months for it to be put on sale, a few more for it to be permanently reduced in price, or even a few more after that for it to be put on deep Steam discount?

This thread had a correct answer, and this is it.

It is worth exactly as much as you're willing to pay for it. Getting anything day one means you're paying a premium to get it ASAP. Especially since everybody knows prices always go down, and this game will probably be looking at maybe a small discount this fall and a larger one this winter on Steam.

Worth is pretty subjective but in all honesty, the number of hours of enjoyment you'll get out of Beyond Earth even if it's only average is pretty good for $50.

Think about it. You could go to the movies a handful of times for $50. That's about what 10 hrs worth of movies. You could go to a single sports game and a single seat costs around $50 not counting concessions and parking. You could spend one evening at an amusement park for $50 or so.

Or you could buy CivBE. How many hours of fun do you expect to have out of it? 10? 20? 100? 1000? In terms of pure fun/hr computer games are one of the best investments. No one can answer how fun the game will be for you and ultimately no one can answer what your $50 is worth to you. But assuming you actually enjoy the game once you have it, $50 is really not that much in the grand scheme of things.

Too many features can be carrier over from Civ to BE to warrant a full price, but it looks good so I might buy it anyway. But I have faith in Firaxis and believe they know this too, I doubt it will go over 40 $.

If it's 50 USD then I can say I will pass on it for the time being. Not because I'm cheap, its just I have other games I would want to buy more especially as a student, I can buy games for my 3DS cheaper than games for a laptop. 35-40 USD for a 3DS game vs 50-60 USD for a PC/console game. Plus I already have civ V. In time I'll defiantly purchase it, but no initially.

Well, as anticipated it is only 40€/$ if bought at greenmangaming using a 20% voucher at the moment. There will probably be a 25% voucher before release too. It seems you just don't get the pre order bonus if you don't buy from 2k's retail partners.

Worth $50? Definitely, and it's a great deal at that. I say most games are under-priced given how many hours of game play you get out of them.

I've played 1000+ enjoyable hours of Civ V and with expansions I've paid maybe $100. It cost me $300 to take my son to a hockey game that lasts 3 hours and was boring anyway.

Same engine?

That must mean Age of Kings was just a reskin of Age of Empires.

Or Mass Effect is the same game as Unreal Tournament.

Seriously?

Just wait until the damn thing comes out and read the reviews. Spend your money how you see fit then.

Well, as anticipated it is only 40€/$ if bought at greenmangaming using a 20% voucher at the moment. There will probably be a 25% voucher before release too. It seems you just don't get the pre order bonus if you don't buy from 2k's retail partners.

Not sure if you're meaning that GMG isn't a 2K retail partner, but if so - it is. This is from GMG's website:

GMG is proud to be an official retail partner of 2K Games, publishers of some of the biggest and best titles in gaming today, including the hugely successful Borderlands and BioShock series.

I do know that sometimes you won't receive the pre-order code until very shortly before release.

civ 5 was not expensive

but i played it for more than 200 hours... played with all civs, got every kind of victory (diplomatic, military, etc), installed a huge amount of mods...

i can say it was worth every real!

i expect the same from civ be!

i get extremely angry with me, when i buy some game on steam and play it for just a couple of hours!! :mad:

Even if BE uses Civ5 technology, it can still turn out to be very different, and very good. The quality of a game of this magnitude is so much tied to an almost magical interaction between game mechanics and legions of qualitative factors that it would be unwise to predict failure at this stage based on 1upt, use of culture, etc. I'd say there is enough that points to a new mix of elements that the standard price of 50 is justified.

Top Bottom