Worth buying?

widdowmaker

Maker of Widdows
Tried to d-load the demo. It wont let me. Fileplanet wont let me in line for some reason. Tried doing a temp warez as a manual demo. (by temp i mean warez it then decide if i like it. If i do go and buy a copy, if i dont just delete it. Support the original author, but know that money talks and by buying the game you are promoting a RoN2 wether you like it or not. And if they dont get enough sales, no RoN2 and no money wasted when/if RoN2 does not sell good.) But i get a MSMXL error.

So is it worth buying without testing? Can someone upload the demo here? can you zip it?

EDIT: W00TAGE!!!!! 200 POSTS!!!!!

If you're into RTS games then buy RoN. It gets rid of all the sensless clicking and allows you to focus on strategy.

If you're into TBS games then buy RoN. It gets rid of all the sensless clicking and allows you to focus on strategy.

I got RoN and I'm a TBS'er at heart and I love RoN. Great game.

Game dishes serious ownage... Definitely the best RTS Ive ever played... well, maybe not as good as Starcraft was when it first came out, but close ;)

...buy RoN. It gets rid of all the senseless clicking and allows you to focus on strategy.
I'm thoroughly enjoying Rise of Nations and estimate it very highly. I hesitate, however, to fully agree. RoN certainly does reduce the senseless clicking, but there's still a lot of clicking involved and depending on the speed of the game and the chosen difficulty level - or your human opponent - things can get quite frantic. Playing slower speeds with slower and more expensive research makes the experience gentler for TBS types.

I'm stilly playing around with game setup options (RoN has an enormous number of options) in search of my favorite.

Yes.

I second Rohag's 1st-paragraph assessment.

Does RoN have a scenario editor or something to make scenarios of like the world or something? I'm replaying Empire Earth and am experimenting with the scenario editor and even making scenarios. And is the RoN editor easy to learn?

It has one - is it easy? Not sure, I don't do editing. :)

Basically...

This game fulfils all my expectations of it. It is an RTS, so don't expect all drawn-out gameplay and micromanagement. The games really don't last more than 1 to 1.5 hrs, since by then you would have advanced all the way up the tech tree.

Some have said that this is a continuation of the AoE series... in a way, it is. Some of the basic concepts share uncanny resemblence. So if you hate AoE... there's probably little chance that you'll like RoN. Having said that, RoN does come from a different angle - there is (slightly) more emphasis on research and planning.

The gameplay takes a bit getting used to, but once you figured out the more important hotkeys, it should be a breeze. The most impressive part of the game, imo, has to be the grand scale of battle as you pit your armies/navies against the other.

I'm still exploring the options, but so far the game has lived up to expectations. The main problem I have (for now) is that air unit control is kind of unweildy, but thats only if you ever survive to reach the Industrial Age. ;)

If the Game works for you, then it is worth buying. But if it does not work properly when you have the right system requierments, then it is not worth buying.

Originally posted by Reboot
The games really don't last more than 1 to 1.5 hrs, since by then you would have advanced all the way up the tech tree.

Wow, I'm surprised to see that the games are that short. I have been considering purchasing RoN, but have had difficulty overcoming the idea of installing any strategy game on my computer other than my beloved Civ3/PTW. :lol:

If you buy the game, don't expect a RTS-Civ mix as promised by almost every magazine, website or whatever. Rise of Nations is just Age of Empires which a LOT more options, a bigger timespan (6,000 years, from the Ancient to the Information Age) and a better science model.

If you like AoE, than RoN is a must buy.

I agree, with t0mme, Rise of Nations is a WHOLE lot like AoE2. Its so much like it that you'd almost think they just ripped AoE2 off and upgraded it a bit and turned it into RoN. They added several new things though, and fixed some annoying things about AoE, like having to replant the farms every 5 seconds.

I agree though, if you liked AoE2 and would like to play more of it, then definitely get RoN. They probably could have just called RoN Age of Empires III and gotten away with it, barring copyright questions. :)

I do own AoE+XP, Aoe2+XP (bought in a package for less than the original AoE cost when released)
I have seen Empire Earth in action - and based on that I say thefollowing:
It is worth buying if
- you like playing RTS
- you enjoyed the Ageof series
- you can live with the fact that it is not a complex combination of tbs and rts (the tbs part is conquer the world campaign between battles)
- you can enjoy a game where peace is seldom the way of victory
- you dislike micromanagement that games like our beloved civ-series provide (well - there IS a certain degree of it though)

It is a good game - delivering just the right elements to pull it out ahead of the AoE series. (makes me regret having bought that package - but at that time I did enjoy it for a while....)

just my 2 paalians worth
(paalians? you say - look for New Paalia at www.nationstates.com)

There are many ways to peacefully win a skirmish or multiplayer game. I admit that the single player campaign is pretty much just straight fighting, but in multiplayer you can set it so whoever builds and controls a certain amount of wonders for a certain time wins, or if someone's economy gets so big, etc.

Top Bottom