Worth upgrading GPU?

White Out

Prince
I have a three-year-old computer with an i5, and a GTX 660 video card, and 16 GB of RAM.

Is plunking in a 1060 going to help with lag I find in large maps? Or is that strictly a CPU issue?

Civ 6 can soak up around 4.5 GB of graphics memory on standard maps with high graphical settings. The question is when are you seeing frame rate drops? When you scroll out? Then it's likely the graphics card. During turns? Then it's likely the CPU. Or it could even be a combo of the two, you didn't say which i5 CPU you have but the 660 is a few years old already and even when it was introduced it was only an entry tier card.

No. I play with an sixth generation i5, 16 GB DDR3 RAM and an SSD, but only a six year old HD6870 (self built machine, and GPU is next to be upgraded), and late game on standard map between turn time is around 6-8 sec.

sorry I should clarify, when I say lag I mean, late game turns on larger maps.

sounds like it takes a long time even when you have a modern CPU?

Yes, that is CPU bound. The CIV "End-step" is calculated by means of a deterministic algorithm (ie one bound to the previous calculations made in the same End-Step) and as such can only be processed in a single thread. This means that there is a limited amount of performance to be gained above a certain threshold and end-steps of 5-10s (as a practical average) are inevitable towards the end of a large game.

I strongly doubt that you need a more powerful GPU, since Civilization isn't that graphic intensive you can even ~run it on one of the modern integrated cards!! The only benefit of having a better GPU would be having more and faster dedicated graphic memory.

I am not that technical savy, so I am sure why larger maps should cause any issue... there is no reason why a huge map take more graphic memory than medium one.. Although it would take more RAM memory, hence people who don't have enough of it might suffer considerable decrease in performance once windows start using pagefile on the HD --but with 16GB you don't have that problem ;)

Again, not that technical savy, but late game particularly with mods that has many unique units should increase graphic memory, but from everything I seen you should not have any problem with 16GB of ram.

I am not that technical savy, so I am sure why larger maps should cause any issue... there is no reason why a huge map take more graphic memory than medium one...
But it does use more memory. On vanilla map size you won't notice it unless you push the setting above the recommanded values for a specific card, but using modded very large map size is not possible with less than 4GB of video RAM and even then you may have to lower the settings and remove leaders animations.

leaders animations.
That might be the cause. larger map -> more civs\city-states ->more unique graphical stuff -> more graphical memory.

but using modded very large map size is not possible with less than 4GB of video RAM and even then you may have to lower the settings and remove leaders animations.

I belive that it should be impossible only on 32bit operating system (as has been known with big mods for older CIVs), otherwise the system should continue to extend your memory capacity using your HD, which would be considerably slower but will work.. For example, At work I am playing modded Civ4 on an OLD laptop with 1GB of memory, it can get very slow but overall works fine.

Anyway, IMO anyone like the OP with 16GB of memory buying a better GPU for CIV, would see minimal improvement for the large investment. (better use the money to buy an SSD for an overall performance increase)

Last edited:
I have a three-year-old computer with an i5, and a GTX 660 video card, and 16 GB of RAM.

Is plunking in a 1060 going to help with lag I find in large maps? Or is that strictly a CPU issue?

Yes, you'll benefit quite a lot from getting a new GPU. Besides it's a good investment in the long run despite civ. I have a decent computer that I built 5 years ago and it's still good. So imagine it has 5 year old i5 CPU and an even older GPU. I wouldn't gain much by upgrading my CPU. I'll get some performance, but in the end it's still simply not cost effective to upgrade it yet, after 5 years. GPU on the other hand... I had a 6-7 years old Radeon HD something something with 0.5GB memory and played pretty much on lowest settings. By upgrading it to RX 480 and while playing on ultra settings with the same game setup as before - my turn times became at least twice as fast. So DO think about it. Imagine what can be achieved by pushing it even further (as in lowering from ultra setting to say medium when playing bigger map).

I strongly doubt that you need a more powerful GPU, since Civilization isn't that graphic intensive you can even ~run it on one of the modern integrated cards!! The only benefit of having a better GPU would be having more and faster dedicated graphic memory.

Nonsense, see above.

doubtful a GPU will help. I have a very good GPU, but I'm more limited by processor speed, not graphics card. And the game isn't worth building a new computer for. I'll eventually build a new computer, but not for this game. Standard maps are plenty big for me.

P.S. I'm runing GTX 970 btw.

doubtful a GPU will help. I have a very good GPU, but I'm more limited by processor speed, not graphics card. And the game isn't worth building a new computer for. I'll eventually build a new computer, but not for this game. Standard maps are plenty big for me.

Having a good GPU to begin with doesn't give you a good insight into "will upgrading help" question. See my post above, live proof of the opposite.

If you already have a good GPU, of course there's no point in upgrading. But when it comes to CPU, you really need to have a very old and crappy CPU for the upgrade to be reasonable / cost effective.

When one has such an old and crappy GPU, upgrading it will help AND it's the best investment in the long run despite that particular game.

Nonsense, see above.

It is my understanding that GPU processing power is mainly needed for 3d rendering, physics calculation and post processing effects. Since Civilization isn't a graphic intensive game (compared to some 3d FPS for example) and he runs it well on his current setting in all but the largest maps. Than I don't see how your post above prove anything.

I agree, especially if he thinking on upgrading just for CIv6. It would be better to either save the money for the next rig, or spend it on something he would be able to make use in it (like an SSD, if he still doesn't have one)

Well I don't know how else to say it to you if you don't get it. I'll repeat it. I had an old GPU with 0.5GB memory, I only could play small maps with lowest settings if I wanted somewhat decent turn times. After upgrading to a modern GPU (RX 480) my turn times are twice as fast on the same game setup (small continents 7 civilizations) while on ultra settings. How else should I put it to you? I present evidence and you say doesn't prove anything... mkay.

Now is it worth upgrading just because of that game? Hell no IMO, but that's another discussion. GPU is the best all around upgrade in the long run (never mind VI) while still might actually even benefit that game too.

Like I said my turn times are twice as fast, you can call it magic for all I care, but that's how it is. If your GPU is already decent, then no, even some ridiculously high end overpriced GPU won't matter here. But if your GPU is crap, then yes upgrading it will actually even improve the turn times in this game (even though you shouldn't upgrade just because of it). Go figure, I was confused myself when I discovered that. I definitely wasn't upgrading anything for this game and that was the last thing I expected. As I understand it (I might be wrong), a good GPU helps with CPU processes here because it leaves less for CPU to process. Crappy GPU actually needs help from CPU as it cannot handle all it's given > hence more work for CPU > slower game (I might be talking out of my ass here though). Also this game actually is graphically intense, it shouldn't be, but it is.

Well I don't know how else to say it to you if you don't get it. I'll repeat it. I had an old GPU with 0.5GB memory, I only could play small maps with lowest settings if I wanted somewhat decent turn times. After upgrading to a modern GPU (RX 480) my turn times are twice as fast on the same game setup (small continents 7 civilizations) while on ultra settings. How else should I put it to you? I present evidence and you say doesn't prove anything... mkay.

Now is it worth upgrading just because of that game? Hell no IMO, but that's another discussion. GPU is the best all around upgrade in the long run (never mind VI) while still might actually even benefit that game too.

Like I said my turn times are twice as fast, you can call it magic for all I care, but that's how it is. If your GPU is already decent, then no, even some ridiculously high end overpriced GPU won't matter here. But if your GPU is crap, then yes upgrading it will actually even improve the turn times in this game (even though you shouldn't upgrade just because of it). Go figure, I was confused myself when I discovered that. I definitely wasn't upgrading anything for this game and that was the last thing I expected. As I understand it (I might be wrong), a good GPU helps with CPU processes here because it leaves less for CPU to process. Crappy GPU actually needs help from CPU as it cannot handle all it's given > hence more work for CPU > slower game (I might be talking out of my ass here though). Also this game actually is graphically intense, it shouldn't be, but it is.
Just to clarify this, for GPU's with low vRAM there will be a delay, in addition to the actual turn time, for the GPU to reload textures as the AI takes actions and thus forces redraws with different textures. This may occur with vRAM below 2GB but will not be a factor for the OP as he is using a GTX 660, which meets this spec.

Top Bottom