1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

WOTM 41 Final Spoiler

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by babybluepants, Jan 11, 2012.

1. babybluepants

babybluepants Chieftain GOTM Staff

WOTM 41 Final Spoiler

So how did your game go after 1AD? Please tell everyone and discuss it in this thread, subject to...

Reading Requirements

Stop! If you are participating in WOTM 41, then you MUST NOT read this thread unless
    • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions
    • Please do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual game saves.

2. ZPV

ZPV Short for ZPVCSPLFUIFDPEF

At 1AD, I had a decent research base, and would probably go for as early a space win as possible.
    I neglected to mention that I had circumnavigated the globe in my first spoiler, in 475BC, so it would be a little easier to land troops on the continent if necessary.
    I settled almost all of my GPs in the capital - 14 by the end of the game - which worked well as these kept producing even through mass unhappiness.

I felt I did have to go on the warpath, because I just couldn't get enough happiness/health resources from the AIs in trade, so after I built Oxford in 100AD, I researched to Military Tradition and Gunpowder. I was slow to build my attack force though, as I was afraid to whip away hard-earned slow-growing population. (Which of course I should have done - it's not like they did any good as soon as war weariness set in).

For all the good it did, I took Liberalism->Assembly Line in 880AD.

During my buildup, Isabella declared war on me for no apparent reason. I suspect this influenced later events.

Catherine was my first target, by proximity. My plan was to take out Moscow and "Calais" (Novgorod) in the first couple of turns with Cavalry, join my stack up, and mop up the rest of Russia before moving on to France.

The first part of the plan worked. I did capture both cities on the second turn of the war (920AD), Moscow with 6 Cavalry I'd stationed in nearby France, and Novgorod with my landing force of 8. Then she vassalled to Louis, and suddenly I was bogged down in a two-fronted war (since I cleared Russia's west coast right away). Not wanting any more trouble, I bribed Bismark to DoW all three of them, to provide a little distraction at least.

It is very fortunate that the AI does not whip units in Warlords, since my production was so low, and I barely had enough to fight both of them. After a Factory/Coal Plant/Military Academy in London, I could produce one cavalry per turn there, despite war weariness, and I got one each every six or seven turns from my other two production cities.

I first got to work on the west of France - capturing Rheims (south of Moscow), Marseilles (on the west coast of the lake) and finally Orleans (on the Fur) to shorten up my border with France.
    Then, because I had to run my culture slider up to stop my cities starving, I resolved to eliminate Russia ASAP, starting with St Petersburg some 15 turns after the war started, and finally in 1190AD I captured the last Russian city on the north coast.
    This meant, that even though he had now researched Gunpowder and even Chemistry (for musketeers which were very good at vacating threatened cities to pick off my workers which weren't really supposed to be bait, just doing things like rebuilding roads I'd pillaged to cut off reinforcements and a lone Grenadier upgrade), I had the numbers to capture his cities fairly quickly, capturing Paris intact in 1210, and the rest falling by 1270.

From here, I had to rebuild fast, and get my newly-captured land researching.
    I workshopped and farmed Moscow to be my Ironworks city, and a couple of others, and generally decided to keep villages and towns, but to demolish hamlets and cottages for more modern improvements.

The governor seems pathologically opposed to city growth, so I had to select farms myself to get the cities to grow at any decent rate.

After the long war and rebuilding, I found myself staring at a spaceship in 1740. I think the botched war cost me 15+ turns - done right I wouldn't have had to slash my research to keep my citizens alive, and maybe another 5-10 could have been saved in the early game, so I suspect a 1600AD win was possible.

3. srad

srad Chieftain

Conquest 1070AD with knights.

A nice game - thanks bbp! I was able to play the game in under 6 hours what is really appreciated.

Two screens:
    Spoiler :

Catherine had some real 'killer' longbows:

- First city: I attacked with two knights, odds around 70%, both died without harming the lbs at all.
    - Two lbs were able to capture a city defended by a knight and a fortified maceman :eek:
    - Lost a mini stack of 5 knights on a non hill city.

.... but surely I had also some luck :lol:

4. MarleysGh0st

MarleysGh0st Chieftain

After 1 AD, I captured Dublin, built the Hanging Gardens and National Epic in London and the Kong Miao in York, and got the circumnavigation bonus. Then it was time to capture the continent!

I declared war on Catherine in 580, bribing Bismarck to join me. He didn't contribute any obvious help, but I conquered Russia by 1190.

Next, I declared war on Louis in 1210 and conquered France by 1420.

Bismarck was next, with Germany conquered in 1520. Before that war ended, I started the war against Isabella in 1490. I wanted a complete Conquest, this game, but I miscalculated (and kept some cities I should have razed, cities that were junk but tempted me with some strategic resource I didn't control yet) so I tripped the Domination limit when Izzy still had four cities left.

1530 Domination Victory, worth 120,837 points.

A much healthier score than in any other game I've played recently. Maybe no "low scoring" shield for me, this time? :mischief:

5. Greeder

Greeder Chieftain

Diplo 1937 AD. I've been expanding slowly like always. The only good news was my research, I was able to got Railroad from Lib. Before I was ready to consider attacking continent Cathy vassalized to Louis. So it took me a little longer to attack wth Cannons and Reds. I captured two Cathy's coastal cities and almost lost one. She got Artillery and after her attack I had only one Cavalary left. So I gave Chemistry to Louis for peace and bribed Bismark to attack him. I researched Assembly Line build small army and attacked them once again. Now was much easier. From now on I've been constantly bribing Bismark and Is to attack Louis or each other. I killed both Cathy and Louis, built UN and Bismarck voted for me.

6. nocho

nocho Chieftain

Conquest 1170 AD for 162553 points.

Relaxed funny little game. I seem to like small maps for xOTMs, at least I finish them. :p

Libbed MT, switched to PS and basically never built anything else anymore but cavalry. Started war on the other continent with Cathy in 860AD and followed up with Louis, Biz and Iz. The first three would vassal before I reached their last city, only Iz was actually dead in the end, although she was the last to receive bad news from Her Majesty.

I'm sure it can be done a lot quicker, like srad did for example. But even without giving up on cavalry, 1000AD or earlier should be possible I think. I didn't sling CS, I forgot to switch to rep for a good number of turns after getting the mids, I teched various non essential techs on the lower half of the tree. Oh well. If I were a synthetic duck, I'm sure I could've won this with cats and swords in the early ADs. However, unfortunately I'm an old fashioned cavs guy who in solo play is too impatient to think of all details all the time. :D

7. srad

srad Chieftain

Me too ;)

It was quite unusual for me to use knights... in retrospective conquest could be done much earlier with knights (and maybe even faster with cats/axes/swords).

8. Ronnie1

Ronnie1 Chieftain

I also went the Cav route and it was definitely overkill IMO. Once I had started down the Lib to MT path, it was too late to change strategies.

I think a cat/sword domination is very doable by maybe 700-800AD.

9. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Chieftain GOTM Staff

Another very lame space victory. Mess up my invasion when Bismark took Izzy vassal. Then long time with refuse to talk. Then Louis DOW's me for the heck of it. I should have just killed them all with cavs like everyone else did. :p

10. Dhoomstriker

Dhoomstriker Girlie Builder

A slog of a (Challenger) Domination Victory for me. I had no choice but to go for Knights as my primary attacker of choice (instead of over-powered Cavalry) since my tech rate died out as soon as I went to war with Cathy.

She Vassalled to Louis, making for one long, drawn-out game with me losing captured Cities to the AIs a few times. Thanks to involving Bismarck in the warring, he was surprisingly easy to take down.

Isabella's Conquistadors were awesome to fight against and they just took stacks and stacks of my units but with sufficient stacks of my own suiciding against her Cities, I took her capital and a couple of peripherary Cities of hers before finally tripping the Domination Land Area limit.

I didn't attempt to build many post-1-AD Wonders (and whatever I did build I can't remember, so probably none) but I did manage to miss out on being the first to both Economics and Liberalism.

Oh yeah, and "early Astronomy" didn't happen when I got 2 Great Aritists instead of my needed Great Scientists. Meh, it's not like we really needed that tech to get our warring started.

Dublin was a nice touch--just enough land to improve to make sending a Worker over such that the people who were too lazy to do so would lose out. ;)

EDIT:
    I second this notion. A slower computer makes playing the late game an exercise in frustration; a smaller map type seems to clear up this issue quite nicely, both by having less Cities per AI and by having the game run a whole lot smoother due to having a smaller map. Normally, I avoid trading World Maps like the plague, in order to reduce the amount of late-game lag, but on this map, the game still went pretty smoothly with most of the map revealed due to the map's smaller size.

11. Rutseg

Rutseg Chieftain

I had a hard time on this map but was strong enough to obtain a late conquest victory in 1936AD.

Looking my tiny island with stone and marble my first idea was going for a cultural victory, but after producing a small stack of swords to capture Dublin and getting in touch with Catherine I started to thought some conquest could be funny.

At 425AD I was the only civ with maces and knights and I had circumvallated the globe, therefore I thought I could have some easy wars. I bribed the french to war the Germans as the leaders were too happy to each other for my taste.

It took me ages to built up and move units to the continent, the main problem was I had not planned my cities for war, and therefore I had only one production city, London. I did not settle a real unit production city until the war had indeed started. Anyhow London was producing 1 unit per turn thanks to the HE and the improved land.

It was not until 760AD that I felt I had enough units in the continent and declared war on Catherine. My plan was to produce units in non-stop and raze keeping only few cities to maintain my economy save. Her longbowmen worked impressively well, and I lost too many cats and maces at 80% odds. By 1110AD I had managed to capture Catherine 2 coastal cities, razed 3 more and only Moscow and St. Petersburg were remaining, but she started to produce pikemen.

At that point all started to become even worst, Catherine, instead of capitulating to me asked vassalization from the french, so at 1070AD french got involved in the war with knights and I had a hard time to maintain my lines. It was thanks to Gunpowder muskets and anti-mounted promoted knights that I managed to defend the coastal cities and menace Moscow, that resisted for centuries with the french help.

At some point cavalry started to arrive and I built the West Point. The highly promoted units was the only factor that allowed me to break finally the draw and slowly advance in the continent, as my rivals had more unit production cities and were technologically equal during the rest of the game.

The Russians were exterminated at 1645AD, thanks to the aid of Bismarck in the eastern french border. I made peace because the french were going to recover Moscow and my homeland was exhausted by war angry faces. Regrettably, Louis capitulated to Bismarck just one turn after. I had not planned correctly and I'm neither having good luck.

I delayed for too long getting the Liberalism, and finally I lost to Isabella by 2 turns, when planning to get the rifles.

I made Bismarck to attack Isabella at 1750 and at 1790 I attacked the German/French. I split my forces razing cities to the north of the lake and capturing a couple of good ones in the south. By 1830AD Paris felt and Louis broke his vassalage contract. Finally at 1832AD they accepted the capitulation terms.

At 1822AD Bismarck had conquered 3 Spanish cities and made peace with Isabella, who luckily lost her horses at that war. At 1896AD I got fascism and switched to police state (mainly because I had 17 angry faces in some cities after centuries of war).

During the late 18's my reds and cannons started to make the difference capturing Berlin in 1898AD. At 1918AD Bismarck capitulated after losing Cologne, when only 3 junk cities remained for complete destruction. 4 cities razed, Munich and Berlin captured (with it's wonders) and Tours returned to french.
    I rush constructed Iron works in York and built the Statue of Liberty at 1921AD.

At this point Isabella had 8 cities and was more advanced than my, having artillery, so I guessed it would be a super strong final battle. Strange enough it was the easiest one, starting at 1922AD and ending at 1936AD. To his merit (and my demerit) I should say she was the only one to achieve landing in the sacred land of England, razing in a surprise attack my 1 warrior defended Hastings research city after passing over my frigate belt. I had to slave some infantries and ironclads to repel the attack and built New Hastings just because I was angry with myself.

She capitulated in 1936AD when only Salamanca was remaining (actually my father's hometown, hehe).

My game was as long as this post and I've learnt I should not change my victory target so happily if I want to enjoy my time, build enough production cities to maintain a whole war campaign and don't fail to get liberalism when it was so clearly reachable.

12. Falabello

Falabello Chieftain

Despite:

- The Great Lighthouse (225 AD)
    - The Parthenon (325 AD)
    - The Colossus (700 AD)
    - The United Nations (1844 AD)...

- My strategy did not work. I tried to domination, but did not believe in myself. I changed tactics for Space Race after 1 AD. Throughout the game no one went to war. In the final stretch, Louis XIV started the Space Race well before me, and I had to change my mind to Diplo. We fought till the end, and I lost in several attempts without help from Catherine. :wallbash:

... Living and learning... :sad:

13. bajadulce

bajadulce Chieftain

Thnx for such a fun game. :)

I prob got away with my cheesy play because the map was so linear. I basically just blindly pushed my cats-sword-axe-chariots down the alley until they hit the end. Would have been slaughtered with this strat if had spawned in middle of continent.

My economy/tech was at a complete standstill as was basically at war from early-BC till end. Drama seemed to help more than CoL keeping the army goin. Towards the very end, tech regained some speed (not really sure why) and a Scientist emerged with a chance to lbulb Engineering which was only 1 turn away.. Doh. Need to learn how to decipher what those guys can bulb?

Might have been able to finish the game a little earlier, but failed to include more cats in my 2 group at the fork in the road. Isabel's final city was out on a little peninsula ( guarded by LBows on a rock no less) and so the swords/axes had to wait several turns for the cats to show up.

Only built 4 cities & a lone galley that thankfully never had any engine problems! It was finally sunk by Izzy, but by then my Island was only producing tech & wealth. Never expanded to the jungle/spices on my island nor took over that little island.

Gonna play another game and try Peace and take advantage of all the $$$ around the island. Thnx again for such a fun map.

14. babybluepants

babybluepants Chieftain GOTM Staff

Nice game, bajadulce!

Try this

15. Ronnie1

Ronnie1 Chieftain

What was your finish date bajadulce? I think your strategy was actually the right one for this map if you were going for fastest Conquest/Domination.

16. Conquistador 63

Conquistador 63 Gypsy King

Forgot to post in the 1st spoiler thread, so I'm telling the whole story here.
    Firstly, thanks to BBP for yet another nice scenario. :goodjob: Reminded me of a Japan earlier GOTM by Cactus Pete. EDIT: in fact, by neilmeister

The early years
    Warrior SE, see Corn, SIP. Gold was a nice bonus. Tech rate was ok, but the path too diversified, so I did not even try to get CS from Oracle - got Machinery instead. Built the watery wonders in the BC's which helped with economy for a long time. Flirted with a culture VC but Pyramids and Parthenon were built away too early, so decided to go to my usual space VC.

Lost a couple turns to anarchy in the BC's revolting to Confu and then back to paganism when realized religious hatred would hurt my tech trading (and trade routes). By 1AD tech was up to Paper/Currency/Music (no Education yet). I was starting to amass a macemen army to attack russian cities.

The english expansion
    This war started at 100AD. Took a few coastal cities, then Cathy was ready to capitulate, but I didn't accept as I wanted all of her cities. She then vassaled to Izzie, whose pesky triremes disrupted my troop ferrying across the channel. The last russian city fell in 940AD. By then I already had a few Cavs and Cannons to help. From then they travelled by land to Spain. The spanish were dead by 1220AD and from then on, Europe was a peaceful continent.

The tech race
    Oxford was built in 500AD. I took Bio from Lib in 1040AD. Then I had to research Rep+Comm for the final civic change in 1140AD. AssemblyLine learned in 1300AD. Astro in 1340AD! All these dates are much later than ZPV's fine tech game, so when I started to read his post I was pretty sure his game was faster than mine...

But then I realized my earlier expansion by the sword (maces, to be more precise ;)) must have been more effective, because I finished the game in 1695AD. :)

17. ZPV

ZPV Short for ZPVCSPLFUIFDPEF

Well played. :)
    Your expansion was definitely more effective. Waiting did not result in those dastardly europeans leaving me any extra infrastructre (mostly population and worthwhile tile improvements), and the extra units to kill (this one's mostly my fault) all at once crippled my happiness and tech - those villages and towns I worked so hard for were going unused.

18. neilmeister

neilmeister Lentils have feelings too GOTM Staff

1140ad Domination

This was indeed a fun game. Dublin was a humourous addition, especially since we could see the edge of it after the first border pop. I also liked that the whole island (except for the ice tile) could be fogbusted with 3 warriors.

Built Mids, GLH, Oracle (CS), Colossus, Great Lib.
    GLH, Colossus and GLib meant that the money/teching just kept pouring in all game.

Originally, I was going to bash Catherine and the world with Maces/Cats/Trebs. By the time I had whipped a small army of Cats and Maces, I had teched Guilds. By the time my first knights were attacking (Louis I think) I had teched to MT & Gunpowder.

Completely forgot to even try vassalise anyone, the Cavs were having too much fun. Could have shaved a few hundred years off I think.

In the end, not 1 German city had come out of revolt yet, but he was dead.

Ahem...... if you were being disparaging, I wouldn't have said anything, but since you are praising the game, I have to assert that the Japan map was my very first GOTM. :)

....but I agree, this was a really fun map. :goodjob: bbp

19. Conquistador 63

Conquistador 63 Gypsy King

:blush: Sorry about the confusion...:crazyeye:
    I knew that one was also a masterpiece, but I was mistaken about its author! :bowdown:

20. Htadus

Htadus A and L's dad

This was my first attempt at score milking and I tried to get my score to 200k but ended up messing a city gift to izzy. So no 200k this time. I did get 189k points but some one should get more.

Domination in 14th century. Biology was sweet for scoring.