Would anyone like to have some civ of the week threads?

Would you like to have “Civ of the Week” threads?

• Total voters

acluewithout

Deity
Would people be interested in having a thread once per week which focuses on discussing just one particular Civ?

People could comment on the strengths and weaknesses of each civ and best strategies. It might also be interesting to hear about what strategies and plays are most interesting or fun for each civ, even if those strategies aren’t optimal.

Reddit/civ already does a regular ”Civ of the Week” thread. There’s usually one or two good posts, but I think the members here would have more interesting things to say. But I’d understand if people thought something like on CivFanatics was redundant or not in keeping with this forum’s style.

I’m not sure how to pick which order to discuss the Civs. Perhaps we could start with the Vanilla Civs and go through them by ‘Era’ (eg the Era each Civ gets its main uniques). Suggestions welcome.

I think picking civs at random would work, or civs relating to topics of interest in the community at present (like Georgia's unique unit, which now has a thread discussing how and why it sucks).

When in doubt, alphabetical always works nicely.

I'd love a discussion once a week about just one civilization, that'd be very lovely.

As someone who seems eternally (and perhaps irrationally) stuck playing Rome game after game these days, it might be good for me to review other civs. It might help me break this cycle of Roman dependency! I feel so......weak.

I'd find this really helpful, count me in. Especially since my playing time has been very sporadic lately, it would be nice to brush up on ideas and tactics when I have some reading time.

Is the idea to actually play the Civs as we discuss them? That could be interesting. For those who have time to play a game a week. It would be interesting to compare different strategies when playing the same Civ. Of course some civs like Macedon only have one strategy: kill, kill, kill.

I find it interesting how different other people play the game than me, and it will be interesting to see how different people play the same Civ.

Is the idea to actually play the Civs as we discuss them? That could be interesting. For those who have time to play a game a week. It would be interesting to compare different strategies when playing the same Civ. Of course some civs like Macedon only have one strategy: kill, kill, kill.

I find it interesting how different other people play the game than me, and it will be interesting to see how different people play the same Civ.
I'd so love to do your suggestion, I'd have a good reason to try new civilizations outside my comfort zone.

I'm all in favor of it. In time these threads will become amazing resources for anyone looking for a new approach to the game. I don't care what order we go in, but let's get the mods on board so we only have one official thread for each civ.

Is the idea to actually play the Civs as we discuss them?

This could actually be quite interesting, though I am such a slow player I am not sure I could get through a game in one week. I have literally spent as much as 15 minutes just contemplating where the next settlement should be, or whether to build a tank or a plane. So you can imagine how long it takes me to get through a turn in the later eras. I would be the suckiest participant in a multiplayer game. Its one of the reasons I have avoided GOTM.

Nonetheless, for those able to keep up, I can imagine it would be quite the illuminating exercise! I would certainly follow vicariously.

That would be rad. A "play by numbers" kind of play-along would be of interest to me.

This could actually be quite interesting, though I am such a slow player I am not sure I could get through a game in one week. I have literally spent as much as 15 minutes just contemplating where the next settlement should be, or whether to build a tank or a plane. So you can imagine how long it takes me to get through a turn in the later eras. I would be the suckiest participant in a multiplayer game. Its one of the reasons I have avoided GOTM.

Nonetheless, for those able to keep up, I can imagine it would be quite the illuminating exercise! I would certainly follow vicariously.
Oh dear, you sound just like my father, lol. He'll have games going for like weeks at a time, he loves to play on the largest pangaea maps with all civilizations on slow speed, and he only plays for Domination victory. I'd have to put on turn time limits when playing with him because otherwise I could probably have dinner, take a nap, and fully gestate a baby before he'd click "end turn". He's known to fall asleep at the button too, lol.

He's known to fall asleep at the button too, lol.

Been there....done that...and I am quite at peace with it!:)

My current game is two weeks old at turn 450. I've invested at least 40 hours into it, maybe more.

Been there....done that...and I am quite at peace with it!:)

My current game is two weeks old at turn 450. I've invested at least 40 hours into it, maybe more.
My poor dear father once did that playing Age of Empires, lol. He woke up to see his city burning and his people being massacred.

Ooooh you're doing more than 5 minutes per turn. Oh now I feel so cruel limiting my father to 2 minutes. :mischief: He has more than 7,000 hours in civilization 5 now, he'll play like his one game for a whole month. So odd he doesn't have time to continue his games with me ...

Top Bottom