1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Would Civilization 4 warlords work well on a...

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Macintosh' started by Napoleon4444, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Napoleon4444

Napoleon4444 Chieftain

MacBook? My Macbook has OS X Leopard installed, 4 GB of ram a 2.2 GHz core 2 duo processor and a GMA X3100 chipset...

You guys think it would work well?

2. Napoleon4444

Napoleon4444 Chieftain

It also has 144 MB of VRAM

3. Napoleon4444

Napoleon4444 Chieftain

Anyone know?

4. Napoleon4444

Napoleon4444 Chieftain

grrrrrrrrrrr

5. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Sorry you've not seen any responses, I guess the existing GMA3100 owners are all out of town this week.

As far as I know, the Intel integrated graphics processors are not too good at running Civ4, but I don't have any personal experience to go by.

6. Napoleon4444

Napoleon4444 Chieftain

Ok thanks :D... D:

7. dcflyer

dcflyer Chieftain

I'm trying to decide if I should buy a Macbook or a Macbook Pro - and Civ4 performance would make a big difference for me!

I'd be using a PC version of Civ4, and using Boot Camp... did you have any luck?

8. rabber

rabber Chieftain

I have a MBP circa early 2007. It has a 2.33 GHz Dual Core CPU, 3 GB RAM, ATI Radeon X1600 with 256MB. I run Win XP Pro with SP3. I have Civ IV, Warlords and BTS running in Boot Camp. When running Civ IV or Warlords and some of the larger Mods (i. e. Total Realism) I get lots of MAFs (Memory Allocation Failures) so frequent saving is a must. The MAF errors are worse with larger maps, but you can use this link to reduce them - http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=225205. I find that large earth maps are slow with wait times between turns of 1 to 3 minutes - the time increases as the game progresses.

I think the newest MacBooks may be OK, but I am not sure. I would recommend a MBP, but I realize this will cost you more money.

Hope this helps.

9. beetle

beetle Deity

The new MacBooks are quite decent for Civ4. Not so much the model that Napoleon4444 has.

I found this thread Civ4 on the intel x3100 in Technical Support. The answer does not get any better just because the hardware is Apple branded versus something else.