[R&F] Would Maya or Inca fit with Rise&Fall new features?

Haig

Deity
Many people list Inca or Maya in civs they think could make it into the expansion.

I don't know their history that well that I could whip out some bonuses for them, like Governors / Emergency etc.

Could they fit the bill, if we dont count that they are series' staples. ?

Well they certainly had their golden ages. And the years of disease followed by European invaders surely would qualify as a dark age.

Couldn't tell ya about governors though. We really do need more representation in the region regardless

The Inca had a hierarchy of governors. Citizens could pay their taxes in labor to the regional governor, both within the bureaucracy and contributing to public works. For instance, you could help maintain roads or serve in a Tampu - a warehouse of supplies and also a hotel for travelers on official business.

The fact that the Inca had basically two capitals at one point, Cuzco and Quito, could be implemented in gameplay since I believe you can build the Government Plaza outside of your capital. Maybe for the Inca if that happens that other city could become a second capital, or something similar.

I think at least one of them will feature in the expansion indeed. Hope for the Babylonians aswell tho :)

The fact that the Inca had basically two capitals at one point, Cuzco and Quito, could be implemented in gameplay since I believe you can build the Government Plaza outside of your capital. Maybe for the Inca if that happens that other city could become a second capital, or something similar.

It depends on the leader and his wherabouts.
Evo Morales, president of Bolivia lives in La Paz, while the Bolivian government is somewhere else.

Sort of same thing in The Netherlands, Amsterdam is the capital, but the government is The Hague.
Let's say the Goverment district is placed there

It depends on the leader and his wherabouts.
Evo Morales, president of Bolivia lives in La Paz, while the Bolivian government is somewhere else. Sort of same thing in The Netherlands, Amsterdam is the capital, but the government is The Hague.
Let's say the Goverment district is placed there

Indeed, our president lives in La Paz, but two branches of government are also in La Paz. We do have two capitals: La Paz and Sucre. La Paz is the seat of government where both the legislative and executive branches reside. However, the judicial branch remains in our historical capital, Sucre. This was done as a safeguard of sorts to not render a President all powerful in case of a coup d'e etat--we have had our share in the past. It would be cool if there would be an expansion where you could actually do such separation, but I digress.

As for the Inca playing well with the new mechanics, I believe they would fit well, both with Golden and Dark Ages, considering they had both, especially their downfall at the hands of the Spanish. As far as governors are concerned, @Eagle Pursuit is right. To quote the Ancient History Encyclopedia: "Local administrators collaborated with and reported to over 80 regional-level administrators (a tokrikoq) who were responsible for such matters as justice, censuses, land redistribution, organizing mobile labour forces, and maintaining the vast network of roads and bridges in their jurisdiction. The regional administrators, who were almost always ethnic Incas, reported to a governor responsible for each quarter of the empire. The four governors reported to the supreme Inca ruler in Cuzco." Part of Bolivia, Peru, Argentina and Chile were part of one of those quarters: Collasuyo. I continue quoting: "To ensure loyalty, the heirs of local rulers were also kept as well-kept prisoners at the Inca capital. The most important political, religious, and military roles within the empire were, then, kept in the hands of the Inca elite, called by the Spanish the orejones or 'big ears' because they wore large earspools to indicate their status. To better ensure the control of this elite over their subjects, garrisons dotted the empire and entirely new administrative centres were built, notably at Tambo Colorado, Huanuco Pampa and Hatun Xauxa." Loyalty was a big factor, as you can see, or well, maybe forced loyalty in many cases.

So, I think the Inca's fit very well, and even if they didn't I would still rally for them. They are just cool! I hope they do justice by them. Long live the Sapa Inca. I wonder who they will choose to lead them? Pachacuti o Huayna Capac?

I would like to see both the Maya and Incas in the expansion, but somehow that doesn't seem possible. I bet one will be withheld until the 2nd expansion or a DLC. Since the Incas were in a DLC for Civ5, I could see them being added in the expansion, while the Maya could be a DLC civ. I know Chichen Itza is already in the game as a wonder, maybe they'll add a second Mesoamerican wonder (not necessarily a Mayan one) in the DLC with them.

As for the Inca leader, I hope it's someone different than Pachacuti, probably Huayna Capac. The Inca are limited in their leader choices. If it's Atahualpa, I will laugh. He fought a Civil War with his brother and won, but got captured and killed by Pizarro. My Inca Empire professor mentioned how he executed his brother's entire family right in front of him. :devil:

As for the Inca leader, I hope it's someone different than Pachacuti, probably Huayna Capac. The Inca are limited in their leader choices. If it's Atahualpa, I will laugh. He fought a Civil War with his brother and won, but got captured and killed by Pizarro. My Inca Empire professor mentioned how he executed his brother's entire family right in front of him. :devil:

Gruesome to say the least. When I was a kid, I used to read tons about the empire and I was fascinated by how Pizarro managed to conquer it. The story of Atahualpa holding the Bible and not knowing what to do with it always causes me to become a bit angry. There are at least two accounts used, although a bit different each, and the perspective questionable (we have no real account from the Inca perspective) but they both show one thing: Pizarro took advantage of the whole political situation and attacked in Cajamarca. He broke his promise, even after getting wealth beyond his imagination, and killed him. With Huascar gone as well, the empire was doomed. However, I've always wondered why did Atahualpa order his men to go unarmed into Cajamarca. It wasn't simple awe or fear for the Spanish. He could easily outnumber the Spanish. The Aztecs had a sort of similar reaction to Cortez and his men. There is a theory that both civilizations and others had a deep conviction that the Creator God (Inti to the Inca, Quetzalcóatl to the Aztec, Kukulkán to the Maya, Gucumatz to the Quiché of Guatemala, and Ehecatl to the Huastecs of the Gulf Coast) would return. So when they saw the Spanish and they were "white", they mistook them for this God and his messengers.

I agree. Atahualpa couldn't be it. Not enough time in his reign, although it is very eventful. Huayna Capac is probably the one.

Gruesome to say the least. When I was a kid, I used to read tons about the empire and I was fascinated by how Pizarro managed to conquer it. The story of Atahualpa holding the Bible and not knowing what to do with it always causes me to become a bit angry. There are at least two accounts used, although a bit different each, and the perspective questionable (we have no real account from the Inca perspective) but they both show one thing: Pizarro took advantage of the whole political situation and attacked in Cajamarca. He broke his promise, even after getting wealth beyond his imagination, and killed him. With Huascar gone as well, the empire was doomed. However, I've always wondered why did Atahualpa order his men to go unarmed into Cajamarca. It wasn't simple awe or fear for the Spanish. He could easily outnumber the Spanish. The Aztecs had a sort of similar reaction to Cortez and his men. There is a theory that both civilizations and others had a deep conviction that the Creator God (Inti to the Inca, Quetzalcóatl to the Aztec, Kukulkán to the Maya, Gucumatz to the Quiché of Guatemala, and Ehecatl to the Huastecs of the Gulf Coast) would return. So when they saw the Spanish and they were "white", they mistook them for this God and his messengers.

I agree. Atahualpa couldn't be it. Not enough time in his reign, although it is very eventful. Huayna Capac is probably the one.
Not just that, but various city-building pre-Columbian peoples believed that their creator deities would arrive pale-skinned, bearded, and from a large boat on the eastern shore, all of which fit the description of Spaniards.

Not just that, but various city-building pre-Columbian peoples believed that their creator deities would arrive pale-skinned, bearded, and from a large boat on the eastern shore, all of which fit the description of Spaniards.

I've heard that before, but how accurate was that. It could be an embellishment of the Spanish.

Top Bottom