Would seasons be an interesting mechanic?

Chekko

Warlord
Just had this idea in my head and maybe it could work. Seasons come and go like eras but faster. On winter there are more snow tiles and the tundra tiles become snow tiles. But during this season snow tiles are not completely useless. Maybe there could be projects (or done automatic) in cities where you set up local trade routes that make the snow tiles productive or something. And on winter the ski resorts get a nice boost.

On Summer the opposite happens. Less snow and tundra tiles can get a little buff. The seaside resorts get the nice buff and food/animal tiles can get a buff too. With time of the year being a thing it would be interesting to have days your people celebrate to give you certain yields.

Fall/Spring can be when Summer and Winter slowly transitions to each other.

If the time scales of the game were shorter, I think a seasons mechanic could make sense, but when a single turn can be multiple decades it kind of breaks down on my opinion...
It would definitely be appropriate for a "Game of Thrones"/"A Song of Ice and Fire" mod.

The idea is cool, but the weather-based disasters (where a tornado outbreak, which realistically should last for minutes or at most a few hours, can last for centuries :crazyeye: ) are already pushing suspension of disbelief. (IMO tornadoes need to be nerfed hard.) I do like the concept, though--it worked well for Endless Legends.

Nothing besides graphical changes. Like day and night cycles we have now. Maybe one full set of seasons per era, in the temperate regions of the map.

I remember Sim City on the Super NES had seasons but it didn't affect gameplay. I thought it was a nice touch.

Top Bottom