1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Would somebody please help me my Science strategy??!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Exsanguination, Dec 16, 2001.

1. Exsanguination

Exsanguination No longer here

I've played many a game, and I cannot seem to get my science where I'd like it. Sure, I'm usually ahead, but I wanna be in the modern area before 4000 AD (never went that far, but its an estimation)!!!! My last and best game I was f***ed out of the usefulness of techs due to loss of rubber entirely off the map. Regardless, I was in the industrial age in the mid-1900s.

How do I get techs like evey 4 turns - early on? I never get them that fast until the late 1800s when I've really built my empire.

My current strategies: I expand, expand, expand, until I get a good amount of strategic/luxury resources. I irrigate every useful square, and connect all my cities. I usually get barely enough gold per turn to survive - 2 at min, 20 at most. I usually have about 1300 gold. I shoot for Republic first, and usually get Map Making off another civ. I usually play at Warlord, on a Standard or large map as the Indians or Greeks. Any tips?

2. BlackBird

BlackBird Chieftain

I had the same problem, but i restarted, and now im in the 1820's ending my industrial ages! I started off by expanding and building library's, and some universities, im in Democracy and im researching big techs each 3-4 turns. But, before the big war i had i was researching at 12 turns each. Find a small civ, and take them on in Democracy, take a few of their cities, make your population feel safe, theill be in Civil Desorder but once you sign a peace treaty... Theyll offer to expand your palace!
    I also built coppernicus' observatory, doesnt seem to help that much though.

3. Proteus

Proteus Chieftain

Trade Surplus Luxuries with other Civilizations for Gold/Turn.
    Helps you keeping your Science-Ratio high, while still earning enough Gold for the Upkeep of your Units and Buildings (Sometimes I have 100% Science and gain still 300 Gold/Turn).

4. Exsanguination

i can never trade with the AI for gold per turn anything. In a good game the AI will give me 1 gold per turn for an important tech, but hell i wont give it to em for that little. Its even worse for resources.

5. Furry Spatula

Furry Spatula ...

Well it depends on the difficulty you are playin on. THe highest that i have played is the second one, warlord i believe,(its hard to unlearn civ to tactics :cry: )

Well anyways what you need to do is expand right away. And make libraries one of your priorities after building a temple and baracks. If you are non militant than it is easier to get all this set up.

Sell everything for gold per turn. I assume the problem you are having is that you cannot keep your revenues up. So get that gold comming in. If you offer a world map, try to get 1 or 2 gold per turn. SO you need to find other civs as fast as you can.

Also you cannot expect to have a big military if you want to get lots of gold, or make sure you aren't democracy or republic. Pretty much keep lots of defensive units to make yourself seem powerful.

Whew, lets continue, sorry if this isnt that coherent:crazyeyes:.

So when you discover a tech then see if there are any wonders that can be built fromit. If there are any then keep it for a while till you are almost done the wonder. Then sell it to every civ out there. Once you do that you can pump your science up and start researching the hell out of everything. And sell tech when you start to loose your cash. THe only difficult part is getting tech early enough to give yourself that edge. SO find goodie huts.

I hope that helped. :goodjob:

6. Furry Spatula

Furry Spatula ...

sorry one thing i forgot to add, oops

If you sell tech to one civ then sell it to all of them, otherwise they sell it amongst themselves, i dont remember who said that before but its not one of my ideas :)

And, about the army thing, you can make a big army once your science waggon is going, you just need that flow of income comming in first.

Ok now i think im done

7. Exsanguination

no one will ever give me any gold per turn for ANYTHING. I assume its cause if they do, theyll go into a deficit, buts its just a conjecture. Regardless, no AI has ever except for once, for furs) given me gold per turn.

8. Proteus

Proteus Chieftain

Strange.

How far in the Game have you been (i.e. which Year)??

Early in the Game (before Christi) I regularly got 5-10 Gold/turn for each Luxury, late I was able to renegotiate the Deals and now (1840) I am at 34/turn.
    Strategic Ressources like Iron can get you in the later stages of the Game even more. In one Game I was able to get 150/turn for Iron (also at est. 1800-1900 AD)

What is the Opinion of the other Leaders about you?

If they are annoyed or the like (maybe you have them attacked in the Past) it can sometimes be very difficult (although I have been able to successfully trade Luxuries even with Neighbours I attacked a turn earlier ;) )
    Better if they are at least Polite.

How big are the other Civilizations?

If they are small and don´t have big Cities (Size 5+), they probably don´t need the Luxuries, cause they have no Problem with unhappy People. The bigger other Civs are, the more you can demand for a certain Luxury.

Another Tip:
    After offering a Luxury, ask the other Leader what he would give for it. If one of the things they want to pay for it is Gold/turn, erase all other things in their Offer and then gradually raise the Gold/turn you demand (your Advisor tells you, if they are still inclined to accept the Trade).

9. jteef

jteef Chieftain

I had a huge long post written about this, but i shortened it to one phrase.

commerce = science.

The greeks being commercial and scientific are pretty good at this as you might imagine, only bad thing is your golden age is too early to mean anything.

I build libraries first in all of my cities(after the early settler rush) because they expand borders 1 turn faster, and they're cheaper than temples. second, i will build a harbor. the reason for this is so you can put laborers in the water and still grow. coastline = 3 commerce / square. compared to 2 with regular terrain + road. Third, I'll build a temple then market place, then courthouse, then bank, then univ, cathedral, factory, etc.

strive for every bit of commerce you can get. i.e. build on coast line, near rivers, near gold/luxuries. build colossus. Dont go for techs that are of marginal value at that point in the game. i.e. printing press /democracy line. I use darwins voyage and cash to get these.

Another thing I would like to mention is that AI civs need money to spend it, and when they've got it, they will spend it foolishly. for this reason it might be worthwhile to give them republic early. You also should revolt for republic fairly early. one of the big mistakes i think people make is going to republic too early though. dont switch to republic if you are thinking about going to war soon, or if you've got a lot of units early in the game and no marketplaces. It is not worth it if you have to set your science at 10-20% in order to break even.

I always go to war at the beginning of the middle ages to secure saltpeter and expand. I spend a lot of resources on this war usually but salt peter is essential for the 2nd big resource conquering war. last time it took 15 veteran knights to kill 10 regular impis (somebody want to explain the math in that ?)
    I revolt from monarchy to republic right after this war.

stack colossus, newtons univ, copernicus observatory, and SETI in your city with the most commerce. at most you are only going to be wanting to add 10 dollars to your treasury every turn from ancient through middle ages, 50-75 from industrial to modern. increase the science slider to get it within this range.

if you do get into it with another civ a good method might be to just destroy all of their roads and dont even touch the cities. then 20 or 30 turns later, when you have superior units and they haven't been able to make any money for that time you can roll over them pretty easily and hold the territory you take.

One last thing i'll mention is that i prefer quality of cities to quantity. I aim for 25-30 cities of size 12-20 by early to mid 1800s. I dont know if this is optimum, but it seems to work for me so far.

that is all for now

jt

10. rutiger53

rutiger53 Chieftain

Build Roads Everywhere !

This means you need LOTS of workers. In my current game, I'm playing Warlord and it's around 800 ad. I got lucky and got a continent to myself so I've been able to expand without fighting a major war. I'm now cranking out advances every four turns, (60% beakers). The areas around my core citiesare fully developed and roaded, although most of my cities are still under size 10.

11. ant

ant Chieftain

Yeah I am playing a game at the moment as the russians and they rock.!!

First of all they start off with a scout which is a huge initial advantage as it enables you to cover vast distances very quickly ( finding out all the best city sites - resources, luxuries and any opposing civs)

Secondly because the russians are an expan. civ when you find goody huts you generally get positive results i.e. warriors techs maps or gold .

In my game (Regent difficulty) i got so far ahead with tech i was able to trade it for heaps of gold per turn 90% science 500+ gold per turn so now i'm running around with modern armour and crushing every one else!!

Build 1. temple
    2. library
    3.university
    as many of the wonders as you can.

Plus the russians special unit the cossack, is pretty much the best unit until the tank.

12. Buecephalus

Buecephalus Bolo Mark XXV

Exsangs says: "they never trade me gold per turn." I've never had trouble with this. In fact I've just started playing at Warlord level (the scores are too low at Chieftain) and last night had the French pay me 75 gold per turn for the Corporation. Same game, the Indians (who I attacked to secure my border) paid me 55 gold per turn for scientific method, and they were annoyed with me at the time. Now that I'm thinking about it though, Germany (everybody's enemy this game) refused to pay me any gold for refining! They kept offering a territory map in exchange for a tech that everybody else was practically throwing money and extra resources to get from me. Maybe it's because Germany had a massive army and felt superior to everyone else that they felt they didn't have to pay anything for tech. If so, that's pretty cool! It didn't matter anyway 'cause Germany attacked me a few turns later and me and the rest of the civs kicked the *%$# out of 'em.

13. BlackBird

BlackBird Chieftain

I never got any huts in my game and i am leading in tech, im in modern age, the rest are in middle!

14. Exsanguination

heres my newest game:

Greeks
    Large Map, Continents, Normal, Temperate, 4 bill
    Warlord
    6 opponents

I am on a continent with the Egyptians and russians, and possibly the Japs

I just offered my world map for 1 GOLD PER TURN, they declined. They were insulted. I offered literature for the same, they declined. No one EVER excepts anything except for lump sums, which realy dont help all that much. They all want world map fer world map, tech for tech, etc.

Something is really f***ed up with my CD, I'd say.

15. Beam

Beam Beat 'm up Scotty! Retired Moderator

My dear friends,

What is your bigger picture? Like culture, score, power etc? Where are you with city improvements? You can make a heck of a lot of money out of advance trading, yet it does not come by itself!!!

Now I can give you some clues but that could spoil your game.

16. jteef

jteef Chieftain

I think your power might have a lot to do with it. i just remembered that before my big war in last game i was selling techs for 30-50 / turn. after the war when i had increased land area, and added about 120 more military units, I was selling techs for 150-200 / turn. I don't know if they are related or not though.

jt

17. Moulton

Moulton Monarch

Always ask what they will pay for it. Germany never offers me more the 1 gold or a map, but others do.
    I sell a tech to every civ in one turn. Otherwise, they sell to each other anyway. Even for 1gold, if the rest pay well. 1 gold in nothing, but it builds their good relationship with you. If you make war on them, doesn't matter, but if you want an ally later... that 1 gold sale might make a difference.
    Once I had a civ beg for a lux--- 'if you will do this for me, I will remember you later....' and they did. turns out they had no money, but were facing insurrection without the one additional lux.
    I have had them ask me for two techs (my lead on them) , a lux, resource and 3000 gold for the one tech they had that I did not. But when I laughed at them, and then offered my techs to them, one by one, they gave two lux, the tech, map and 500 gold... and gold for the second. go figure.
    I don't know about the doublers for science. I know what it says ...
    But I have a city with 107 beakers--the conversion from commerce to % for science. That city also has Copoernicus, Newtons, and SETI in it. If they multiply like they should then I get 400 beakers from that city. But it does not show on the screen. That city is building UN in 11 turns. Egypt started two turns ahead, but they still have 23 turns to go... :D