1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Would there be another possible leader for Gauls than Vercingetorix ?

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Naokaukodem, Jul 4, 2020.

1. Naokaukodem

Naokaukodem Millenary King

Are you refering to commercial centers called "La Galleria" ? I just googled "La Gaulleria" and i felt on this. (that I didn't know however)

2. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

Yep. Blame the Asterix comics - they inspire me to throw bad puns into any Gaullic discussion . . .

3. Nassim

Nassim Chieftain

With all the debates in France about how we are taught about "our ancestors the Gauls" in history class despite being a mixpot of a lot of other tribes and civilizations, it took yesterday's video to realize that throughout my school years, I have never been taught of any other Gallic person than Vercingetorix !

8housesofelixir likes this.
  4. Naokaukodem

Yeah i noticed that. ;) By the way Astérix is not a comics, but a BD (bande dessinée) franco-belge. But I guess it has been adapted into comics somehow (with smaller format) ?

Yeah that's why I created this topic, turned out to be very informative.

5. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

Technically, in English they would be Large Format Graphic Novels - at least, those were the editions that I collected and read from the 1980s on. The art style, though, is distinctly 'comic book' in form, and the political/social/historical satire and English punning translations amazingly good. When I worked at Barnes & Noble Booksellers, they were shelved at various times under 'Humor' or 'Graphic Novels' because the company could not decide where they belonged!

6. Naokaukodem

Wow, i didn't know Astérix was translated back in the 80s.

Here we are clearly making the distinction between Bds according to where they come from. Comics for american Bds, Mangas for japanese Bds, and more simply Bds or Bds franco-belges from France, Belgium and maybe from other parts of Europe i don't really know. Some Bds however are more called Roman Graphiques (Graphic Novels), it is to say a text with pictures, but those two are always more or less separated. (there's no text bubbles)

7. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

First English translations of the books were in 1969, and I believe some of the individual (original 1959 - 1961) Asterix comics in Pilote magazine were also translated into English earlier, but I never saw any of those. I can guarantee in Lawton, Oklahoma I was able to buy almost two dozen of the Asterix books/comic books/graphic novels between 1982 and 1985, and then continue buying them in English by making trips to Britain in the late 1980s while stationed in Germany with the US Army.

Fun Fact: there is a Canadian Navy ship named the MV Asterix, but no ship in the French Navy named for him!

8. Plymouth

Plymouth Chieftain

Would be disappointed to see Ambiorix, for reasons previously discussed, but that does seem to be a major possibility. And they sort of already did the same thing Scythia and Tomyris, so I don't exactly have faith.

I think Vercingetorix, despite being the most popular name, would really be the best pick here. Dumnorix would be interesting as well. They are both somewhat Roman-centric choices, in a way, but in terms of unique power and "historical relevance" they seem to be effectively unmatched.

As for the Gallic Emperors, I think that they'd be awkward choices at best. Interesting men, but not any real embodiment of the cultures of Gaul.

8housesofelixir and Zaarin like this.
  9. Jkchart

Jkchart Emperor

I will join you in this. I've always wanted to see Zenobia. Even with only about 4 years of actual reign time she would still be an awesome ruler for an entire culture that has yet to be represented.

10. Duke William of Normandy

Duke William of Normandy King of England & Unofficial Welcoming Committee

It's Ambiorix.

Alexander's Hetaroi likes this.