Has Twitter become better or worse since Musk controlled it?

If Musk ends up controlling Twitter, that would make Twitter:

• better

Votes: 25 26.0%
  • worse

Votes: 71 74.0%

• Total voters
BBC mussing on why Musk may be making a thing about the bots:

If either party in the Twitter deal walks away now, there's a $1bn termination fee.
That may sound like small change to a multi-billionaire - although Mr Musk maintains he is asset-rich rather than cash-rich - but it perhaps gives him leverage to successfully shave a few billion off the offer price, because $1bn is not small change to Twitter and its shareholders.
Does anyone know what this means? I would have assumed it means that if Musk "walks away" from the deal over the bot count he would have to pay twitter 1bn, but then the next bit does not make sense.
It reads as though the termination fee applies to both parties.

Of note, he was also playing games before the bid was accepted, Tweeting that he'd do something about the bots if successful. To make that now contingent on the deal going through, really makes it seem like a stock inflation scheme.

No, I think this is the wrong interpretation.
Elon hopes to reduce the price for the shares by this. If now Twitter says it's not good enough anymore, and they cancel, then good for him (well, his money).
But if it still is, he saves money on the shares. Win-win situation for him.

No, I think this is the wrong interpretation.
Elon hopes to reduce the price for the shares by this. If now Twitter says it's not good enough anymore, and they cancel, then good for him (well, his money).
But if it still is, he saves money on the shares. Win-win situation for him.
Surely offering less money is effectively walking away from the deal? Or else he could offer 1c, and if they do not accept they are walking away from the deal.

Musk can certainly afford the $1 billion to get out of a deal he changes his mind on. Maybe he can negotiate a lower price over bots, but I don't think that's a real issue. I think he is just getting cold feet. His deal put him in the news and got everyone in a tizzy. The billion dollar cost is far better than getting caught up in a losing deal he will regret later. Because Musk's wealth is mostly tied up in Tesla Twitter stock, he would likely have to sell some to get the cash for the walk away price. That might depress the share price.

The penalty only applies to Musk and only if he walks.

Last edited:
Fixed.

I’ve heard speculation that Musk only floated the idea of buying Twitter as a facade to sell off Tesla stock and not raise eyebrows, but that seems implausible to me: I believe the sale of stock by company insiders is regulated by the SEC, though how thorough that is I can’t say for certain.

Maybe Musk has been reading my posts and agrees that forty billion dollars, more money than all of us posting here have or will ever have combined, is probably a lot of money to spend on a bulletin board system.

I’ve heard speculation that Musk only floated the idea of buying Twitter as a facade to sell off Tesla stock and not raise eyebrows, but that seems implausible to me: I believe the sale of stock by company insiders is regulated by the SEC, though how thorough that is I can’t say for certain.

Without giving any credence to the idea, which I am hearing here now for the first time, Musk is not new to openly and publicly violating SEC law :lol:

Without giving any credence to the idea, which I am hearing here now for the first time, Musk is not new to openly and publicly violating SEC law :lol:
On the one hand, it seems hard to believe that Musk would do something so blatant in inviting scrutiny.

On the other, it seems entirely plausible that he would try something so blatant.

Letting him buy and sell stocks is letting the fox into the nuthouse. Er, henhouse.

On the one hand, it seems hard to believe that Musk would do something so blatant in inviting scrutiny.

On the other, it seems entirely plausible that he would try something so blatant.

https://www.sec.gov/news/press-release/2018-226

tl;dr on this is Musk already committed improper market manipulation via Tweet so it is not at all hard to believe that Musk would engage in quite blatant criminality.
He is, after all, a criminal.

I also happened to see a post of his - because it was trending - where he was crying that all attacks against him are political and ultimately are because he wants to protect people's freedom and right to speech.

If people weren't so greedy, they'd have avoided making the decision to even discuss selling twitter to him.

Thank God.

So in addition to being a criminal, Musk is also a pathetic loser with no follow-through

Top Bottom