1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you buy New Leaders -DLC ?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Haig, Dec 27, 2017.

1. ferretbacon

ferretbacon Obsessor

I would love it if they made an alt-leader DLC pack. The cost of animating a leader is the most expensive portion of a new civ, so I'd even understand if it was priced a bit higher than might be expected.

I definitely think this. People lose their minds over excessive DLC, but my opinion is tempered to favor DLC by the fact that the base cost for games hasn't increased for over a decade. That said, there are definite predatory microtransaction models out there (see SW: Battlefront II), but Firaxis is basically the opposite of that; I think they could stand to do more DLC.

2. conorbebe

conorbebe Chieftain

Yes, although it depends on the leaders included. I’d be more inclined to buy new DLC civilisations.

3. The Highwayman

The Highwayman Chieftain

I would buy an alt leader pack. When Gorgo was announced pre release, I thought alt leaders would be more prevalent over a year into the game's life.

4. jddods

jddods Chieftain

Yes yes yes

Craig_Sutter likes this.
  5. sonicmyst

sonicmyst Chieftain

Yes definitely would buy if there is.

6. DeutschDachs

DeutschDachs Chieftain

For sure, more leaders and Civs adds to diversity and increases the odds of each game being truly unique. Greatly increases my enjoyment of the game and replayability

7. ggalindo001

ggalindo001 Chieftain

I would absolutely buy additional DLC that are both full Civilizations as well as alternative leaders. But to someone's point earlier, there are a lot of good alternative leaders already out there and outside of the "animation", they are high quality and immersive enough.

I would also buy additional DLCs that included additional wonders/national wonders, and new map scripts (not precoded maps as much as map scripts).

I doubt Firaxis would go this route, but I would also pay additional DLCs for new buildings/districts/units. Tho I think that is better served with expansion packs vs. DLC.

And I would also pay for DLC that provides a different "look/feel" of the experience. But the effort to do something like that could not come close to what they would otherwise recoup.

What I will not pay DLC for are "power ups", "cheats" and the like. I absolutely hate how the industry has gone that route.

Oh, and of course, I would gladly pay for improved AI. I would gladly pay for improved single player or adaptive AI. I know others believe this should be in base, but I would be happy to subsidize efforts to get there.

8. earlc

earlc Chieftain

Yes. Barring some terrible adaptation of a leader (which I don't see as a high risk with this iteration) of course I would!

As for the price of DLC/money-raking, I really don't care as long as it actually adds value to the game. I understand the cost of making animated leaders and I value what they'd add to the game. But if it's something like Bethesda's Fallout 4 DLC, which amounts to hijacking a franchise to milk the fandom for every last bottlecap until all that remains is a lifeless husk of a series, I'd give an emphatic 'no' and question whether I'd ever buy another game in the series again.

I guess one of the benefits of the Civilization series being a relatively low-grossing series with a dedicated fanbase is that producing a wide variety of DLC pacs is an economically-sound investment.

9. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Warlord

1. Additional leaders don't bring that much new gameplay (unless they replace leaders with UU with another leader with UU, but even in this case it wouldn't be nearly as big as a new civ).
    2. Before getting too many alt leaders, I'd like to see "no same civ" option for random civ distribution. Having the same civ twice is quite weird and the more alt leaders we have, the more chances for it.

Overall, I'd like to see alt leaders as part of DLC together with full civs, not as a separate DLC.

Siptah likes this.
  10. bbbt

bbbt Warlord

I would, but I tend to buy the DLC in general. I'd second that I'd prefer more like a civ + alt leader pack. I.e. they could release the Incas + Isabella for 5.99 or something (probably not actually the Incas and Isabella as that's basically what they did in Civ 5 but that sort of themed combo).

My actual ideal would be if they did just some sort of large themed pack with some sort of extended scenario/alternate game mode, i.e.: 6 months after Rise and Fall, comes the 'Ancient Empires' DLC for 13.99: 4 civs (say Babylon, Hittites, Carthage, Palmyra) and 2 alt leaders (Persia and Rome?). Plus an 'extended scenario/new game mode' that's basically a 'full game' of Civ that goes just through the end of the classic era: essentially splits the difference between a scenario and something on the level of say Colonization. I.e. primarily mostly graphics work (new buildings, units, etc. that work similarly to existing ones) but also with enough new twists on existing mechanics to make it interesting, plus some new mechanics they are developing for the next expansion anyways and can incorporate. Or a new world themed one with the appropriate civ/'extended scenario'.

Anyways, I digress. I don't think that's likely as it seems tricky marketing-wise ("It's not just a scenario, it's an entirely new play through. No, none of the base mechanics change, you are playing a different game mode" etc.). But I'd buy it.

The Kingmaker and Vahnstad like this.
  11. spfun

spfun Chieftain

Absolutely not.

Fix this hot mess of a game first before adding in more fluff content.

12. Benzombie

Benzombie Chieftain

100%. I'm more in favor of alt leaders than additional civs.

13. altayrneto

altayrneto Chieftain

Other thing that make alt leaders cheaper is that they don't need to create new musical themes for their civs (Pericles' and Gorgo's Greece have the same theme, and looks like Gandhi's and Chandragupta's India will have too). So, they will not have to spend with the composer neither the orchestra, like they have with new civs.
    Anyway, I absolutely would buy!

14. Wizard of OU

Wizard of OU Chieftain

I think the obvious DLC is WW2, it creates Churchill for England, FDR for America, and possibly bring in Mao for China or De Gualle for France. Having unique abilites for each is easy, FDR is about production (Industrial zones project additional create +1 amenity for x turns), Churchill is combat strength based if he is declared war on (or possibly if he goes into a joint war), and De Gualle after a city is captured or flips gain one melee unit outside that city or in their capital.

15. Arianrhod

Arianrhod Chieftain

Alternate leaders are nice in theory, but for the effort they require I do not believe they are worth it. If they're practically another civ of work, just add another civ.

Like, sure, getting Julius as an alt leader for Rome would be cool, but if it came at the cost of (for example) the Hittites I wouldn't consider that a good exchange at all. Similarly it might be nice to have a second leader for Egypt or the United States, but if it took losing Ethiopia and the Iroquois to do it, that's far more harm than good for the health of the game.

India's kinda okay because it fixes Gandhi, but that's a very clunky and last-ditch solution, and not something I feel we should just be relying on willy-nilly.

Ivan Hunger likes this.
  16. Talcove

Talcove Slayer of Spies

Not on their own. It would either need to be multiple alternate leaders in a pack, or an alternate leader packaged with some other stuff (preferably another Civ).

17. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Warlord

Compared to the amount of work on leader, animation and voice, this doesn't look that big (although music theme is probably more creative work). Overall the cost/value rate of leaders seems worse than that of full civs.

Ivan Hunger likes this.
  18. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

I think the better question is if you would want alt leaders or entirely new civs. For sure new ones are a little more work but not that much.

Ivan Hunger likes this.
  19. ferretbacon

ferretbacon Obsessor

I'd like both assuming they have the staff to manage it.

evanaurora and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  20. Craig_Sutter

Craig_Sutter Chieftain

Yes. Yes. Yes...