1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you buy New Leaders -DLC ?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Haig, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Talcove

Talcove Slayer of Spies

But there's always the opportunity cost. As others have explained, the leader is one of the biggest sources of work when creating a new civ. A pack that has a new civ and a new leader could, with just a little more work, instead have two whole new civs. Whereas if they just have one civ and one leader, to add another civ to that they would have to start completely anew. So, while I would like new leaders, I would rather have new civs.

-----

I also think that Firaxis is more likely to make whole new civ DLCs than leader DLCs. They are more work for less content, and more are required to sell them. I wouldn't think that most people would buy a single leader as a DLC for $5. That is just one leader with one ability, tacked on to an already existing civ. A lot of people here may buy it, but CivFanatics is, as the name suggests, not representative of the civ community as a whole. Most people would expect multiple (3+) leaders in a $5 pack. On the other hand, people have shown willingness to buy civ packs with just one whole new civ in them for $5.

You tell me:
    Option A: Three city projects, requiring 750 production each, with the end result being 5000 gold
    Option B: One city project, requiring 1000 production, with the end result being 5000 gold
    Which one would you choose? Even if you had three cities with equal production, they could each be doing an option B and giving you 15000 gold in the end.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    Ivan Hunger and stealth_nsk like this.
  2. Wizard of OU

Wizard of OU Chieftain

If Option B wins the game, then obviously Option B

3. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Warlord

However, not all civs are equal in terms of sales and not all leaders. Alt leader for America, for example, could have good sales. Or alt leader for England with longbowmen.

4. Talcove

Talcove Slayer of Spies

That is a factor, but I still believe that people would not be willing to pay $5 for just one leader, no matter who it is, whereas they are willing to pay $5 for one civ. A slew of popular leaders may generate a lot of sales, but that effort could also have been put into making two or three popular/frequently-requested civs. In the end, doing leader packs is just more work for the same amount of reward.

Ivan Hunger likes this.
  5. ferretbacon

ferretbacon Obsessor

This for sure. They could easily justify the labor and expenses for an alt leader if that alt leader can command good sales.

For example, speaking for myself, I rather detest CdM being the sole representative of France in this iteration of Civilization. I'd pay upwards of $10 for a DLC that had nothing else but Louis XIV or Napoleon.

In any case, we simply can't know the production costs for making a new leaderhead, but I'm willing to say that I'm down for alternate leaders if Firaxis wants to test the waters at any point. I'll leave it to Firaxis to figure out the price point per alt leader.

6. Ivan Hunger

Ivan Hunger Chieftain

That's a good point.

There's a lot of demand for racially/geographically diverse civilizations, especially with the growing popularity of true start maps. I've seen a lot of comments that Native Americans and Subsaharan Africans need more representation.

But there's also a lot of demand from consumers who want to be able to play as the nation they live in. Just look at all the excitement over the speculation about Canada and Italy.

But there's also a certain amount of demand for the most popular civs to receive alternate leaders, as evidenced by this very thread.

Even assuming the best case scenario that Firaxis continues to release smaller DLC packs in between large expansion releases (and that's a big assumption on its own), it's unlikely that they have the sheer manpower to do all three of these things before support for Civ 6 comes to a close. It stands to reason then that the more they pursue one of those goals, the less they will be able to pursue the other two.

Be careful what you wish for.

7. ezzlar

ezzlar Chieftain

Nope. The modding community can, and will, create those for free. And they will probably be better.

Patches or modding functions on the other hand...

8. K4wa

K4wa Chieftain

It is no brainer to me.
    I want USA led by Andrew Jackson :crazyeye:

9. Hakan-i Cihan

Hakan-i Cihan Chieftain

If there is an intention for releasing DLC's with alternative leaders, I hope it would be not before a 2nd expansion is released.

10. MAHRana

MAHRana Chieftain

Yes, what I miss from Civ IV was the leader selection, Ashoka alongside Hannibal was a defining factor of what the franchise is about

11. Villager720

Villager720 Chieftain

I’d buy alt leaders like I buy DLC civs - if I agree with them being added to the game - I buy them. I actually prefer DLC to expansions in that regard because it lets me choose who’s included.

There should be an option to turn off certain civs from being randomly included in the pool. (for me it’s the modern ones like America, Brazil, and Australia)

AbsintheRed likes this.
  12. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

Sure. A wwii leader pack? napoleonic wars leader pack? conquest of the new world leader pack? imperialism leader pack? Yes to all of the above.

And a 7 years war leader pack.

13. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

@sukritact is proof of this. His work is superior to Firaxis'!

14. DogeEnricoDandolo

DogeEnricoDandolo Chieftain

I have been spamming this suggestion on the Facebook page of Civs for a while, I am very willing to buy that DLCs, really hope that the majority of civs will have at least 2 leaders

15. Vahnstad

Vahnstad Chieftain

That's cool. They could do this with the Ottomans too (Ottomans, Hungary, Byzantium, Bulgaria, Venice and the Mamluks), and Georgia / Persia could be put into that scenario too. And Qara Qoyunlu as filler civ.

Exploration would be nice too (Isabella and the Inca's are realistic, but maybe with Netherlands, Portugal, England and France as exploration civs and two native American civs and the Muisca and Arawak/Taino in it?)

What could they do?
    Boring. I rather have a Canada civ pack.

16. Futumch

Futumch Calm as a Coma

I'd buy one, but it would have to have at least a dozen leaders in there. Realistically you're looking at the leader animations as the main drawcard, the rest is just xml that defines the characteristics of the leader. There's no wonder animations, music, maps etc. It would be a pretty lightweight DLC.

17. Ryika

Ryika likes cookies and milk.

I think new leaders could be a worthwhile investment of developer time, _if_ that leader actually creates a significantly different synergy with the static bonuses of the Civ. Not much is gained from a new leader that is just "more focused on military than that other leader of the same Civ", but if there's actually some interesting interplay between the bonuses the leaders bring to the Civ that fundamentally changes the way you think about all the bonuses that are already there, then I think that would be a good addition.

18. Roald Amundsen

Roald Amundsen Chieftain

I'm one of those completionists. I can't stand owning half a game! So yes definetly.

19. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Probably eventually. Whether I'd pay full price depends on whether I'm interested in the leaders and how interesting and different their gameplay is. Also, how much time I have to play (I still haven't played all of the existing leaders.) If I manage to start playing on a computer with a video card that can handle leader animations, that ups the chance, as it increases the variety of opponents more than if I have to stick with static screens.

Of course, if we get a bunch of well-animated mods, there's no need, but I don't know how likely that is.

20. Phrozen

Phrozen Chieftain

I would like alt leaders for:

France (Philip Augustus)
    Russia (Alexander II, Ivan III, or Khrushchev)
    Egypt (Djoser, Senusret II, or Thutmosis III)
    England (Henry II or Edward I)