1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you change the Fallout series?

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by Imaus, Oct 17, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Imaus

Imaus Prince

The 3d Fallout games have all struck some nerve somewhere or elsewhere. Fallout 3 was lambasted for being a shallow story that didn't suspend disbelief. New Vegas was half-cooked; almost funneling the player on purpose towards the NCR or House. Fallout 4 had most of the problems of 3; but this time you could pick four factions who were artificially thrown into this boxing match in Boston. And 76 was a Battle Royale cash-grab.

The 2d games weren't much better, to be fair. Tactics changed the entire setting. 2 was whacky and didn't drive its villains or world to their maximum potential. 1 had a lot of stuff that could had been expanded on. And the less said about BoS, the better; wasting Texas of all things.

And then there's the recurrent figures: the Omnipresent BoS, the cockroach-level-survivability of the Enclave and Mutants....

What would you change about the Fallout series, if anything?

2. Malachi256

Malachi256 Prince

New Vegas was a masterpiece. The only thing it "funneled" you towards was the end of the game - how you got there was more varied and interesting than any other RPG I've ever played. Just look up some of the videos on all the different possible outcomes you could pursue in the various side and main quests of that game - Obsidian earned their pay and then some.

Fallouts 3 and 4 have just been fractions of the greatness that is New Vegas. I didn't bother with 76.

So I wouldn't change anything. I've been the guy begging for Obsidian to get another whack at it.

3. sherbz

sherbz Emperor

I wouldnt say New Vegas was a masterpiece. I think it was very good. And could have been exceptional were Obsidian given more time to cook it.

Fallout 3 killed it for me. It was an awful buggy and ugly mess which is hugely undeserving of the praise it got. Fallouts 1&2 were good and held much promise. But it was never really realised.

IMO Wasteland 2 is an excellent alternative to the Fallout Universe and really built well upon the foundations laid by the first 2 Fallout games. And i am really keen to see how Wasteland 3 plays out. I think its storytelling and combat systems worked out rather well.

Imaus likes this.
  4. Imaus

Imaus Prince

I am very interested in W3. It's the alternative we need to poke Fallout around, along with other CRPGs more on Wasteland's side.

sherbz likes this.