Would you ever build a worker 2nd?

MIS

Prince
I built a monument first. With Askia I assume I'll conquer a holy city later so don't fight for a religion, though I really like the Open Sky pantheon. I am already researching mining. A worker here can usefully work the horses (3), two luxuries, and the wheat. I can get ManCavs more easily. Normally I go shrine first, but I was thinking I might make an exception now. What do you think?

upload_2020-12-16_17-2-20.png

Is that a pangaea map? I wonder what's with civs being so close together.

The only scenarios where I see myself doing that is:
- playing as India (no immediate need for shrine)
- playing as Spain (no immediate need for shrine)
- playing as the Netherlands, but only if I settled on a mining or trapping luxury and researched that tech first, sold it on turn 9, 10 or 11 for 3 gold and 3 culture, and if I have a different minning/trapping luxury in my capital's range, then I'll go shrine first, worker second (so I can sell my second luxury asap and get 3 more culture).

Other than that, no, it's always more valuable to go with shrine and monument as your first two things, because you need your pantheon&social policy ASAP, even if it's god of all creation and you're not aiming to found a religion.

And if you have a forest/jungle start, just don't.

So ultimately if you want a religion you’ll need the shrine...no amount of other yields makes up for the faith.

But If you want to conquer into your religion instead than I think a worker second here makes some good sense.

Top Bottom