Would you go to work in Iraq?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Yndy, Mar 2, 2004.

?

Would you go to work in Iraq?

1. Yes, where do I sign up?

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  2. Yes, I'm considering, tell me more

8 vote(s)
    27.6%
  3. No, I'm not risking my life

17 vote(s)
    58.6%
  4. I have no idea

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. Yndy

Yndy Emperor

I don’t really know if there were such topics lately but in my office I had today an offer to work in Iraq on a financial consulting project.

I don’t have any clue how long it would last, how much extra money are we getting paid or when would it start but I was wondering, what would you think about such an offer?

I’m an adventurous guy myself and my first thought would be to learn more about the job but everybody else in the office told a few jokes and declined the offer on the spot.

Edit: all military related jobs are excluded!

2. hawai_74

hawai_74 mac über alles

i can send my giant radioactive monkey there, see what will happen to him

3. Bozo Erectus

Bozo Erectus Master Baker

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3524589.stm

Need I say more?

4. SuperBeaverInc.

SuperBeaverInc. Groucho

I think I will pass

5. WickedSmurf

WickedSmurf pr0

Depends on the salary... I can be pretty greedy and take risks if the price is right.

For a job in Iraq, we're talkin' millions.

6. betazed

betazed Seeking...

Yes. I would go if this is last job I have to do and I can retire on the money and if I die then the insurance money can pay for my family I leave behind.

Otherwise the risk is not worth the reward. Simple.

7. Knight-Dragon

Knight-Dragon Unhidden Dragon Retired Moderator

No. The security situation is simply too dangerous.

8. Lifeblood

Lifeblood Defender of the faith

No chance in hell. Crikey, that's just suicide at this moment. Money can't buy back your life.

9. betazed

betazed Seeking...

That is surprising. IIRC, you were in favor of the war in Iraq (at least that is what I gathered from your earlier posts)!

But you are not willing to risk your own life for even non-military purposes! So I guess it is ok to favor a war as long as someone else is taking all the risks and dying, is it? :rolleyes:

{caveat: if I am wrong about your position on the war then please say that it is so and I will accept that I was in error. }

10. Bobo the Ape

Bobo the Ape Prince

I don't see the contradiction. An unwillingness to risk one's life for personal financial gain does not indicate an unwillingness to risk one's life for a "higher ideal".

I would run into a burning building to save my kid. I would not run into a burning building to save my wallet.

11. Goober

Goober Turning Right ...

I would have to pass, there are easier, less painful ways to die, thank you. And where is the "Giant Radioactive Monkey" option? Sheesh, people forgetting about those Monkeys . . . BAD!!!

12. betazed

betazed Seeking...

@Bobo The Ape: You are right. You can refuse to do some work for money but still do the same work for a higher purpose.

However, in this particular case both military action and this particular non-military work for money serves the same higher purpose . It seems the latest version of the higher purpose was "to remove a madman dictator and bring democracy to Iraq" (or so I am told).

So not only are you serving a higher purpose you are being paid for it. I cannot see how I can see a refusal to go to Iraq and serve there but being in favor of the war as nothing more than crass duplicity.

13. IglooDame

IglooDame Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

If you're not a Shia Muslim, not a UN worker, not an Iraqi policeman, and not a soldier, then the odds of dying go down quite a bit, out of the Russian roulette range. Personally I'd take the job if the money was enough to warrant the disruption to my life and the higher risk of getting killed.

14. Bozo Erectus

Igloo, you can be neither a Shia, an Iraqi policeman, or a Coalition soldier, but just a guy out on the street buying a falafel from a street vendor and still get blown to smithereens. Bombs and mortars dont restrict their damage to only the above mentioned people.

15. Aphex_Twin

Aphex_Twin Evergreen

It would be an interesting idea. Actually, if you're smart and a little reckless developing nations are the place to make fortunes. Of course, how much Iraq is "developing" right now is debateable.

16. IglooDame

IglooDame Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

True, but not being in those categories means that you're probably not directly targeted, which would reduce the risk to what I personally would consider an acceptable level depending on other circumstances.

17. Bobo the Ape

Bobo the Ape Prince

Is that version 2.0 or 2.1? Can someone just give me the final version already?

Since I'm not exactly sure what the original poster does for a living I can't comment on this. If it's providing either instruction on building vital infrastructure or building the infrastructure itself I'd have to agree with you in this instance and the Iraqis are unable to do this for themselves then I'd have to agree with you in this instance.

As an active duty vet and current reservist I'd have to say that a desire to do something and a willingness to do something are often different animals.

You mean expecting a sacrifice of someone else but not be willing to perform the same sacrifice is hypocritical?.....Never! ;)

18. Bobo the Ape

Bobo the Ape Prince

oops.....forgot to answer the original question.

I would take the job.

Does anybody have any stats on the number of foreign civilian workers currently in Iraq and the number of killed?

19. conormcgarry

conormcgarry Warlord

20. Bozo Erectus

Circumstances in this case, meaning money. Personally, they would have to pay me so much to set foot in Iraq, that it wouldnt be practical. Theres plenty of money here at home, no need for me to dodge mortars just to get a big payday.