1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you go to work in Iraq?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Yndy, Mar 2, 2004.

?

Would you go to work in Iraq?

1. Yes, where do I sign up?

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  2. Yes, I'm considering, tell me more

8 vote(s)
    27.6%
  3. No, I'm not risking my life

17 vote(s)
    58.6%
  4. I have no idea

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. IglooDame

IglooDame Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

Well, circumstances also include how settled I am right now, whether I'm contributing to a public good, improving myself (other than financially), and the relative merit of the goals and methods of my employer. If I truly am helping the Iraqi people, then you wouldn't have to throw as much money at me, although it'd still have to be a significant chunk of money even to get me to pull up stakes and move out of New Hampshire.

2. Bozo Erectus

Bozo Erectus Master Baker

Igloo, if youd uproot your nice life in New Hampshire to go help the people in the abattoir that is Iraq, these folks who despise us and would gleefully dance on our collective graves, youre a friggin saint:goodjob:

3. Ohkrana

Ohkrana Rookie WebMaster

My initial thoughts would be no! Even though I voted yes, considering option.

But you sound semi interested in the oppurtunity. So I'd say you need to find out where you'll be working (geographic region in iraq - is it in the capital or a rural area etc). Is it a highly dangerous area or is the risk moderate to low.

How long will be the length of your working stay, an approximate time frame.

The living arrangements, I expect they will be paid for by the company but also the security and safety of your place of residance is also an important point to consider.

Does it involve any on-site work, if so security arrangements in transport to and from said site need to be determined if any.

Secondly will you get a higher pay rate for a job in a dangerous region. In my view you should but I'm not sure what payment incentives and benefits are being offered (life, kidnap insurance and medical especially considering the possible risks you may face).

As well what medical facilities are available to you whilst staying there, transit time btw your place of residence to such facilities. If the worst does occur injury - how avialable will medical emergency treatment be for you.

Many of these things you may not be able to get answers to until you arrive. It really comes down to Benefits VS costs and risks to you and whether you think it's worth it for you.

Plus I'm not sure have Red Cross and the UN gone back into Iraq? (I actually don't know but if they are still staying out - it might be prudent to say no in such a case).

As a final point - if you did take such an oppurtunity would that benefit your work/career in the short term furture and how. Really only a question you and/or your company can answer.

I wouldn't say no but I wouldn't exactly say yes either.

[Edit] slightly morbid but a necessary step - if you do go make sure you have a current and up-to-date will. Not a pleasant thing to have to do - but necessary if the absolute worst does happen.

4. Yndy

Yndy Emperor

First I wanted to float the idea around to get some answers not really asking for advice here.

Second, from what I could gather without actually applying, the job is in Bagdad, inside a building presumably all the time. This should reduce the risks somewhat but the bad part is that there's some adversarial interests involved and in Iraq that could mean more than bad manners.

Thirdly, the job has the 'higher purpose of making Iraq a true democracy and solve the issues of the past' but that's not that straighforward as erecting new buildings, fixing oil rigs, creating the political structure. It's more like digging out old dirt to put things on an fresh perspective.

Fourthly, the money would probably not be enough for the rest of my life in the US of A or any other Western European country but it might be enough to significantly improve my material status in Romania.

Last but not least my career could benefit in a way, I would be able to add in my CV some first quality experience but some employers could be turned down by a guy who went to work in Iraq just following the war.

5. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Deity

I would not do it. There isn't enough money to risk my life for a job.

6. IglooDame

IglooDame Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

So how's that unemployment thing working out for you? I'm not fond of my commute either, and I'm always on the lookout for a potentially murderous co-worker.

Okay, I'm being pedantic here, but risk isn't binary, it's a sliding scale.

7. Bobo the Ape

Bobo the Ape Prince

So noone has any stats on the true dangers of being a foreign civilian worker in Iraq?

8. Achinz

Achinz Hermit of Huangshan

Only saints and foolhardy adventurers need apply.
    In any case it is important for one's conscience to be sure that one is going to contribute to the right sort of government and to the well-being of the people of Iraq at large. Wait till the dust settles.

9. Moonsinger

Moonsinger Settler Retired Moderator

Sure, I would go, but only if it's for a good cause. Soon or later, I'm going to die anyway; can't avoid that. In reality, I could easily be dead tomorrow because of some SUV drivers think that they own the road or something.