1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you have bought the Maori as a standalone DLC (poll)?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bbbt, Jan 12, 2019 at 3:13 PM.

?

Would you have bought the Maori if they came out as DLC between R&F and GS?

1. Yes, absolutely!

102 vote(s)
    80.3%
  2. No, I would be disappointed they didn't use any new R&F mechanics.

4 vote(s)
    3.1%
  3. No, maybe another creative civ design but I'm not fond the Maori design particular.

5 vote(s)
    3.9%
  4. No, other reason (don't buy DLC civs, boycotting til they fix the AI, etc.)

16 vote(s)
    12.6%
  1. bbbt

bbbt Warlord

Between R&F and GS there was the "will we or won't we have civ DLC between expansions" question.

The assumption was we probably wouldn't because Firaxis would be stuck between a rock and a hard place - either releasing DLC Civs that required R&F (and becoming the first company to release DLC that required DLC), or releasing DLC Civs that didn't require R&F (and alienating folks who would want Civs to work with the latest mechanics).

However, the Maori are now a great example of a creative civ design that actually doesn't use any of the expansion mechanics (GS or R&F).

So my question is: if the Maori (or an equivalent style of civ) came out in say July, would yo have bought it? Or would you have been disappointed it didn't use any of the R&F mechanics?

2. Ivan Hunger

Ivan Hunger Chieftain

The Maori may technically only use vanilla mechanics when examined in a vacuum, but their anti-chop playstyle is clearly meant to synergize with the new environmental mechanics being introduced in Gathering Storm.

To answer your original question, sure, I would have bought them as DLC and probably not felt like I was missing anything, but I can appreciate the decision to release them in the proper context so that their abilities have maximum impact.

BenitoChavez, Uberfrog and Julia97 like this.
  3. bbbt

bbbt Warlord

Yeah, they definitely thematically fit in with gathering storm. I'm more taking them as an example of a civ that could be done as 'DLC' without leaving people feeling dissatisfied. I agree they specifically fit in better with GS than as standalone.

4. pokiehl

pokiehl Chieftain

"first company to release DLC that required DLC?" Destiny already did this.

TahamiTsunami and Icicle like this.
  5. bbbt

bbbt Warlord

Apparently so - I think that wasn't the case when were discussing this in the summer. But apparently that barrier has been broken.

6. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Probably not right away, but definitely eventually

kaspergm likes this.
  7. pgm123

pgm123 Chieftain

Yeah. Give me all the content and I'll give you all the money.

8. Icicle

Icicle Chieftain

I think they are probably one of the few civs I've ever seen that I would actually consider buying as individual DLC. I really can't wait to play them they look so fun!

9. Julia97

Julia97 Chieftain

10. Red_warning

Red_warning Chieftain

I didn't buy any of the DLC until the steam christmas sale, I think they are kinda overpriced tbh.

11. Breadsmith

Breadsmith Chieftain

I would've bought KHMER as a separate DLC. Even if I never intend on playing the civs, I feel like I gotta catch em all.

Alexander's Hetaroi likes this.
  12. Kaan Boztepe

Kaan Boztepe Chieftain

i am not really fond of the whole DLC for 1-2 civilizations or scenarios. i am more old fashioned and like more fleshed out expansion packs.

Red_warning likes this.
  13. timmychompchomp

timmychompchomp Chieftain

I tend to buy all dlcs for the games I truly love, which are very few. I am sure most of the votes above are heavily influenced by ones disposable income.

Alexander's Hetaroi likes this.
  14. CPWimmer

CPWimmer Chieftain

Poke-Civ!

Ziad and Alexander's Hetaroi like this.
  15. jddods

jddods Chieftain

I'd have brought them if they were double the normal DCL price and still considered it value for money.
    We are talking pennies per hour of fun, cheaper and better than a good movie.

Wizard-Bob likes this.
  16. Josephias

Josephias Chieftain

It would probably not be a DLC I’ll jist take right away, but eventually. And for sure, in a sale period. However, I would have bought Mali immediately, that is also a case of no-GS features, as far as I can recall. And the Inca, (but they do require GS features).

DLC falls for me in three/four cathegories:

- Must haves (just for simpaty or because I feel they "complete" the game). Not that the game was actually lacking initially, but they fit (or expand) my idea of what a complete game should be. Normally these are not "change the rules" DLC (Maori), but more a "twist the rules" DLC (Mali). Or just fill the map, as the South-East asia civs. And probably additional leader packs will fit here too.

- Interesting. I consider the DLC will enrich the game, but I don't fell that compelled to use the features they are providing. I'd probably start picking them as I ran out of options in the "vanilla" + "must haves", but not as soon as they appear in the store. Depending on how much I like them, I may take the opportunity to buy them as soon as they are on sale, or I might pass until I actually want to try them. Maori Will be here, and the idea is so nice that may be one of the first on the list.
    (this category could be Split in two, with more and less interesting ones)

- Avoidable. I'm just not that sold in the idea the DLC is providing and I am not sure I want to change the game that way (still, I think it's worth to have the DLC there for some other players). Not going out of FXS games, most of XCOM2 DLC, and specially the Alien Hunters one, have fallen in this cathegory. (not a fan of having super-aliens in my game just for the reward of making my solider squad go to a costume party…)

My desore for the DLC would be companies made them considering they would not be bought by everyone, as they are magnific ways to "customize" the game experience and cherry-pick what do you want or not (think of them as official MODs, with extra possibilities). This would allow to put in them more fanbase-dividing features (plagues?, 20th century leaders?, …) without risking the drawback they could have in a full-fledged expansión.

17. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

I would not. I don't consider any of the non-expansion DLCs worth it at full price at least.

18. Republic of San Montuoso

Republic of San Montuoso Chieftain

Buying in a DLC a civ that allow you to start in water, encourage you to not chop, give you culture/tourism/faith for unimproved features, when on the other side I baught a civ having housing on the coast, another having better mines on desert and another which lives to pile relics? Hell yeah !

19. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

As much as I despise the concept of individual civs as DLC, I would have bought the Maori (as designed for the second expansion currently) as standalone DLC, if only because they seem unique. Also I've been arguing for their inclusion in the game in the Ideas and Suggestions forum and other General Discussion threads here IIRC.

(I would of course hesitate on the purchase, however, if the Maori DLC didn't come with an accompanying scenario. So my yes vote assumes the hypothetical Maori DLC would come with a civ and a scenario.)

20. Leathaface

Leathaface Warlord

For sure. That unique amphitheatre looks awesome and their unique UU is so strong. Starting in the ocean is very unique, though it can be good or bad depending on where you find land.