would you like to see blood and gore in combat?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by seZereth, Feb 12, 2009.

?

Would you like to see blood effects added to combat in FfH?

1. Yes, FfH is dark fantasy and bloody combat adhances the atmosphere

158 vote(s)
    68.4%
  2. No, I am too young / I dont think it is necessary / I faint when seeing blood

73 vote(s)
    31.6%
  1. Kael

Kael Deity

I like it, though its relatively subdued. I like that its a hit effect which makes the combat look more animated that the relatively clean combat we have now. The fact that its blood and gore is irrelevant to me.

It is similar as having arrows stick out of their victims. I think thats a cool effect that spices the combat a little. Not that I would throughout my copy of Civ4 if it didnt exist, but its neat. The blood splatter effect seZ created is just like that, simple but cool.

2. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

I'd love to see a screenshot :D

3. Kael

Kael Deity

Screenshots don't really do it justice since its an animation effect. It happens so quickly that you either get a screenshot where you can see it at all, or you might see a faint trace of red, or you get the exact second of the burst.

Here is the exact second of the burst. I attached this because otherwise you wouldnt really have anything to look at but taken as part of the whole animation its more subdued than this makes it appear.

Attached Files:

4. Blackmantle

Blackmantle King

Yes to this proposal but not a strong one.
    I would also advise to make it optional if that is possible without extreme fuss.
    Or make the "gore" an extra download if that's not a big cause for multiplayer trouble because of different versions and doesn't cause trouble otherwise (yea those people taking Pixels far to serious and are all up in arms about it are around...).
    (So something akin to a Media-Pack aka a Gore-Pack.)

Overall i would suggest you make this an opt-in feature if possible / there isn't a strong objection to it by SeZereth (i could understand that you want you workload put in for all to marvel at of course. ;)).

I can sure understand anyone who doesn't want this...

5. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

nice, I like that. gives it a more realistic and dark feel.

6. Kael

Kael Deity

It wont be a game option. You guys respond to every poll with requests to make whatever it is an option. :crazyeye:

7. Grey Fox

Grey Fox Master of Points

Not "game" option, but player option, the ones you click in the options screen. Like workers don't build on forests. (I don't think you can add graphics options tho right?)
    Though I'm not sure how if you could disable it this way?

8. Blackmantle

Blackmantle King

No, in my case i do so because this is an real issue which sadly might lead to some ramifications. ;) (Don't know how its seen in the US but over here its definitely an issue. Even though an rather un-based one... But that doesn't help if the wider public doesn't agree it being unbased.)
    Especially in Games labled as 12+ over here (it sure isn't very likely. But the possibility is quite exist.) which might turn to 16+ material in the common observers eye (and graphic violence is always easier to spot then long and deep lore texts. Even if very explicit (18+ is still rater unlikely unless it gets very flashy...).
    Add in a certain respect towards written texts and you got a very odd cultural mix with radically different views on similar forms of entertainment.).

If it isn't a possibility i still give a weak yes but wont weep a single tear if its not put in. Knowing all to well what might happen if worse comes to worst.

9. Tyrs

Tyrs King

If you've already done it, then yes, I enjoy a bit more realism. If its a bunch of effort that could be used for other things, then it may not be worth it.

10. Angrenost

Angrenost Chieftain

Make this at least for Doviello =p

11. Brugarin

Brugarin Warlord

What about quick combat? I always have quick combat on, i might miss the bloodshed this way...

12. smusebaer

smusebaer Warlord

Can I have collectable heads??? Please just a headdrop for every Hero?

13. Kid Socrates

Kid Socrates Chieftain

I don't think it really fits. It's an abstracted view on combat anyway -- blood spray doesn't strike me as necessary here. My vote's no.

Also, hi, I'm new here.

14. Black Mech

Black Mech Nuked

I'll put ye 'ead on me pointy stik, datz an 'oner dat iz...:viking:

Idk something in the back of my head says the clan of embers, maybe also the doviello would be the only two races that would do that :mischief: and yes to the blood effects, though an option to turn off for those people with older computers and those who have small children around would be useful

15. JFSebastian

JFSebastian Scout

The addition of blood is fine. I think it will enhance combat a bit. However, it doesn't rank very high on my graphics wishlist.

16. WarKirby

WarKirby Arty person

Why not? Options are good. They alow the game experience to be customised.

The response in this thread seems to be rather negative. Most seem to feel it wouldn't be worth the effort, which is a moot point if it's already done, but some people clearly don'y like this idea. It's pretty unfair to force those people to use it, or never update FF again.

Personally, my feelings are mixed. It might be good, I'd have to see it in action. Biut I'd definitely prefer an option to turn it off too if I disliked it.

17. Kael

Kael Deity

The reason more options are bad is because it creates more systems that need to be maintained and supported, more combinations of effects to cause issues. If this was introduced as a game options I would need to support people that use this option and those that dont. Issues could only occur to one group or the other and the interaction of this mechanic with others.

Troubleshooting becomes more difficult because if the mechanic does cause a problem they dont know that its from the feature. Say they get a crash when they attack a city. They post the save, I play the save but I dont get the crash (because they have the option off and I have it on).

Not to mention that you spend all the time developing a function that only a portion of your users ever use.

Etc etc, I could go on. But game options are a significant maintenance. That may be worth it for big enough things. Obviously we add game options. But they have to be pretty significant to be worthwile. They are not an easy out to making hard design decisions.

18. Emptiness

Emptiness []

Blood effects won't add as much to the mod as removing graphical glitches in the current units, or making new civ-specific unit graphics that better match the civ's appearance theme.

19. Kenjister

Kenjister Swimmer

After seeing the effect that Kael posted, I voted Yes.
    I would of been opposed to some major blood flying all over the place, but quick flecks flying places just enhance the atmosphere. Plus, if it's already made, why not?
    Looking forward to how it looks in game!

20. cIV_khanh93

cIV_khanh93 Prince

i don think its necessary,but ifts on a toggle im fine with it.