1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

would you like to see blood and gore in combat?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by seZereth, Feb 12, 2009.

?

Would you like to see blood effects added to combat in FfH?

1. Yes, FfH is dark fantasy and bloody combat adhances the atmosphere

158 vote(s)
    68.4%
  2. No, I am too young / I dont think it is necessary / I faint when seeing blood

73 vote(s)
    31.6%
  1. mo123567

mo123567 Worst modder ever!

The pole is kind of biased. I may faint at the sight of blood but I'm not proud of it. I guess it was already decided before the pole anyway.

2. Lade

Lade Prince

But don't you feel this is different? personally I think I'd be put off playing because of this, and they'res a good chance I'm not going to be downloading any more patches

Then again, I have no idea how many people feel this way, so maybe it wouldn't be worth it, ah well

3. Oblongmana

Oblongmana Chieftain

Yes, but on the condition that it's a toggle.

4. Avahz Darkwood

Avahz Darkwood Emperor

Leaning weakly to yes (49% no - 51% yes), its not really that big of a deal for me...

5. Kael

Kael Deity

Not really. Not that I dont respect you opinion, you are absolutly 100% entitled to it. Just that a threat to stop playing doesnt really factor into our design decisions.

Personally I dislike yes/no polls because the polarize opinions and they dont tend to lead to constructive conversation. Just people arguing their viewpoint (and im probably equally liable). Id rather have the mechanic come out, let people play with it a bit and see what they think. That way its easier to chat about it.

6. Lade

Lade Prince

I can understand that, I don't exactly expect to change any design plans by myself

Besides, anyone saying they'll stop playing is probably lieing, its to addicting to stop for a minor detail like that :goodjob:

7. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

come on people. it's just some red pixels blinking on a screen. I don't hear anyone complaining about Mardero's pedia entry :D

8. megamanx06

megamanx06 Caswallan

i find blood in games to be a turn off. If its badly animated, its bad, and if its well animated, it makes me sick (like Bioshock) and there are kids playing this, so sorry, no boobs.

9. Lade

Lade Prince

You don't have to read pedia entries, you almost always have to watch combat

10. Methuselah

Methuselah King

I highly advise you don't play as/against the Sheaim then.

I'm guessing quick combat may get around this effect, if you really dislike it. Just guessing though. :p

11. Tarquelne

Tarquelne Follower of Tytalus

IIIRC there was a thread that involved complaints about Mardero's pedia entry.

Anyway... I got used to mortar barrages in "Combat Mission," some BnG in FfH's less ambiguous dark fantasy world would be sort of refreshing.

12. thewyrm

thewyrm Ambassador to Real Life

I sure as Hell hope no parents would let their children play this game. It is a DARK fantasy with way too many adult themes to be acceptable for children. Blood and gore are a good direction for the adult themes in this game.

13. WarKirby

WarKirby Arty person

The exact same argument applies even more perfectly to adding new features

Blood effects are an entirely unecessary part of the game, especially for a strategy game. Quite a few people here don't seem to think it adds much. If you have a problem with maintaining more systems, then why are you adding new stuff? what happened to feature lock?

14. Lade

Lade Prince

Why shouldn't children be allowed to play? If you never go into the pedia' theres nothing bad...Well except one certain sheiam art model, but I've only ever seen perp have one ingame before when I was storming his capital

15. thewyrm

thewyrm Ambassador to Real Life

Thematically, this is a game children have no business playing. If it was a movie it would be have to make edits to get to a PG-13 rating.

16. WarKirby

WarKirby Arty person

Flauros rapes a girl in his pedia entry, although it's not especially graphically described.

17. Kael

Kael Deity

Ogre is covered with blood, there is a Doviello unit that uses the corpse of a prior opponent as a weapon, human sacrifice and slavery are game mechanics, Falamar is a hoochie-mama, characters allude to suicide, murder, torture, rape and miscarriages in game text (even outside the pedia), Losha Valas isnt wearing panties, and as you mention the succubus is topless.

There is much more graphic depictions even outside of the pedia.

18. Verdian

Verdian King

I voted yes, as it adds to the atmosphere. I also trust Sez's skills and Kael's opinion in that it will be tasteful. ;)

To people that think it adds to too much violence to the game or is inappropriate... I question how much of this game you have actually played. :crazyeye: But others have already pointed out the numerous examples of inappropriateness.

Also, there already is a toggle: fast combat for offense and defense. Or just don't have combat zoom in so it is not quite so "in your face".

19. Monkeyfinger

Monkeyfinger Deity

Well, here's one silver lining: This might mean Kael will have to remove quick combat to insure that people will use this feature he worked to design and implement. It would serve the people who use that option right.

(I know this is wishful thinking, but I can dream.)

20. FireBlaze

FireBlaze King

Meh, Can't protect us kids forever. Besides, you don't remember much of middle school do you? :D