would you like to see blood and gore in combat?

Would you like to see blood effects added to combat in FfH?

• Yes, FfH is dark fantasy and bloody combat adhances the atmosphere

Votes: 158 68.4%
  • No, I am too young / I dont think it is necessary / I faint when seeing blood

Votes: 73 31.6%

• Total voters
For someone living like me in a country were in some cities you can atend to the brutal murder (after torture) of an innocent bull (= corrida), violence in games seems quite unreal.(in the sense that no one is harmed )

I like seZ's solution. Its much more elegant that what I was thinking (I was think we would have to switch out the animations, which cause CtD's and can be a major pain). Switching out the texture is not a big deal. :goodjob:

Voted no, but I'm the kind of guy who's got the combat graphics turned down to as simple as they'll get anyway since I don't enjoy the delay. You will undoubtedly make it look cool if you put it in, Sezereth, it's just not something I particularly want in a game.

No, it'll be annoying to me. I don't mind it in Doom, but when looking at blood used in a civ context, I'm feeling like I'm a butcher instead of an army general.

Only put it in when you have time and have it as a option, that way people with weak systems can play, and people who don't like or who are too young don't have it...

War is a butcher, especially the doviello kind. :p

True, but you, as the player, do not directly fight in it. That's one of the differences between strategy games and first-person shooters.

Anyway, it would be pointless, distracting, and annoying for me.

Blood? I like blood. Dawn of War wouldn't be Dawn of War without it. Ditto No More Heroes, Grand Theft Auto, and some other games. And I am positively drooling over Madworld. But unfortunately, it seems gratuitous in FfH; it's something that adds little or nothing to the game other than "yay, we has blood!" Blood for blood's sake is... meh.

I'd hate for someone to be put off from the game because of gratuitous violence. Or for someone's parents to ban it because of this.

I just don't like the idea of seeing blood in a Civ game, every time I try to imagine it I just don't feel anything positive for the idea.

I don't see any need, I'm not impressed by that screenshot, and I'm afraid it may may things run slightly more slowly, which I would not like.

I don't see any need, I'm not impressed by that screenshot, and I'm afraid it may may things run slightly more slowly, which I would not like.

The screenshot looks like it uses just a small number of textured polys, so from a rendering perspective there shouldn't be much in the way of slowdown, and slightly less if you make the texture transparent.

There's no reason why the actual implementation would cause much slowdown either, unless it's doing something relatively complex like applying decals or bouncing off other geometry. From what I can gather, it's an extension of the existing animations, so this wouldn't be an issue.

As for the screenshot - I'm guessing it looks better when animated. Not sure how you can judge whether or not to be impressed by it considering you don't know how difficult it was to pull off, though.

Now, I'm a bit concerned by the idea of other players being turned off by the blood, but that's not a problem if we have the option to turn it off. Personally, I'm all for it-- I think it'd be a neat atmospheric effect that's easily implemented.

Blood for the blood god! Skulls for the skull throne!

I'm probably blind, but where is the screenshot? I cant find it.

I'm sitting on the fence with this one. It would depend on how well it turns out for me to sway one way or the other. Its not gonna be over the top 'Kill Bill' type blood, where the victim sprays uncanny amounts of blood? Maybe have the blood and gore as an option to turn on and off to please both sides of the fence?

I highly advise you don't play as/against the Sheaim then.

oh, I found that one in the pedia. fun stuff.

I sure as Hell hope no parents would let their children play this game. It is a DARK fantasy with way too many adult themes to be acceptable for children. Blood and gore are a good direction for the adult themes in this game.

why not? It's rated T. What adult themes are you referring to?

To be honest, I am also on the fense. I like the idea of adding some violent imagry to spice up the landscape of the dark theme in FfH. I am generally against any sort of sensorship when it comes to graphic content. Let the user decide if it offends them...and if so then don't use those features.

On the flip side, I think the game is good as it is. If the new animations are added, I would play with them, but are they necessary? Depending on how graphic they are, it my finally give my wife a good enough reason to tell me to not play FfH while my son can watch. He loves watcing Daddy play, but he is only 5 years old. I have been chipping away at Mammy's protectiveness, but violent imagry still raises her maternal instincts.

It's a nice and flavorful graphic effect, I like it.
While excessive violence in some games (in general just to attract media attention) is stupid and does not contribute to gameplay, a bit of blood for a bit more realistic and flavorful graphic is way to go.
I think that people complaining that they can't stand blood and violence in games might have some more serious issues in their lives...

I don't much care, either way, But there was a similar debate a couple years ago when the Doviello berserkers were added. Some people complained of the violence and brutality, and IIRC, kael responded with something along the lines that it wasn't too violent, as there was no blood and gore flying everywhere :p

Top Bottom