Would you like to see Civilization V’s art style back in VI?

I think I'll skip that. I don't mind the art style of civ 6 apart from colors changing depending on dark/normal/golden age.

Yes, the blend of units, terrain and "hour of day" effects is so perfect I simply can't help myself but to simply get my hands off the keyboard and mouse and marvel at the beauty of it all. And then stand up and do something else while my eyes stop bleeding from my attempts at discovering where my great musician is parked at.
I’m sorry to say this, nut stylistically, it is by far the best looking civ game. It might look like a cartoon for a 10y old with heavy saturated colours, but thzts its style. And u cant argue about taste. Its a strange choice to use blinn or phong or whatever shaders on terrain shapes, but it works well.
You can always tone down the saturation on your display or os and disable night-day cycle to stop your eyes from bleeding!

Last edited:
I've no big complaints about VI's art style (a few more trees in the forest and perhaps some deciduous forest may be my biggest wants); overall I think it's gorgeous. But I may try this for a different feel one of these days. Thanks for posting!

I like Civ V's aesthetics way better overall so I was delighted to try this mod out.

It looks... pretty nice but I'm not 100% sold. Maybe I just need to get used to it but I think the forests look a bit washed out for example.

Very cool though and great to have an alternative.

I've no big complaints about VI's art style (a few more trees in the forest and perhaps some deciduous forest may be my biggest wants); overall I think it's gorgeous. But I may try this for a different feel one of these days. Thanks for posting!
Yeah, some non-pine trees would be nice. I think it looks great--but then again, I think that they all have so maybe I'm just easy to please.

Love it. Will try it.
But no achievements if using mods, yes?

It is still Civ VI so achievements with mods is allowed.

Will try this for sure, especially if it has the much superior Civ V units. But what about things that weren't in Civ V like volcanoes?

As to achievements, I seem to be getting them with mods enabled, but frankly, who cares?

I believe if you look at one of the pictures, don't remember if the ones I posted here or one in Steam has a volcano showing. It is still Civ VI, so everything should work.

Yes, the blend of units, terrain and "hour of day" effects is so perfect I simply can't help myself but to simply get my hands off the keyboard and mouse and marvel at the beauty of it all. And then stand up and do something else while my eyes stop bleeding from my attempts at discovering where my great musician is parked at.
Now you can search for them with the New Tool! :D

Compare, for instance, the Civ V and VI gunboats. The Civ V one is a good representation of a typical pre-dreadnought naval vessel from the late 19th C. The Civ VI one is meant to be the "Monitor" from the American Civil War, which was a one-off, never seen again, and in Civ VI looks like a little plastic box.

This looks pretty amazing. I think I'm going to try it out. I think what I'd want even more is a mod that keeps civ6 graphics but desaturates and lightens it to about the same level as Civ5 graphics.

Oh yes, and non-pine forests please!

I've no big complaints about VI's art style (a few more trees in the forest and perhaps some deciduous forest may be my biggest wants)

Yeah, the only step back in Civ 6 for me are:

- Forest and jungle density.
- Lack of different continent styles.

The different continent looks in 5 was GREAT, and a pity that in Civ where we have proper continents they all look the same.

Thankfully, this mod is a showcase of what can be done, so higher density forests are definitely possible. And it seems possible to have different tree styles.

Ah, I see it doesn't change the units. I suppose that would be asking too much as Civ VI has some new ones not in Civ V, not least the UUs.

Well, a new mod called Environment Skin: Sid Meier’s Civilization V, by a modder called GrrrArrrg, was released today and does exactly that. If you see the comments, you’ll see someone we know from Firaxis make a comment even.

Check it out at https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1702339134. I’m definitely trying it out at some point. Someone commented that it is 2.4 GB big. But It definitely looks awesomely weird and weirdly awesome.

Here are a couple of pictures posted there:
View attachment 521944 View attachment 521942

Noob question, sorry.....will this affect saved games? Have a great game going now, don't want to ruin it.
Thanks.

Yeah, the only step back in Civ 6 for me are:

- Forest and jungle density.
- Lack of different continent styles.

The different continent looks in 5 was GREAT, and a pity that in Civ where we have proper continents they all look the same.

Thankfully, this mod is a showcase of what can be done, so higher density forests are definitely possible. And it seems possible to have different tree styles.
Oh, yeah, forgot about that. Continent differentiation for terrain in Civ VI art style would be awesome.

Noob question, sorry.....will this affect saved games? Have a great game going now, don't want to ruin it.
Thanks.

No, it won't affect your saved game.

For future reference, in Additional Content (from the main screen), where the Mods you use are listed, you can always see what each Mod says about affecting saved games like this one below. I am using Enhanced Mod Manager Mod, by the way. Below, if you look on the right hand side, you will see that it specifies that it doesn't affect saved mods. Happy gaming!
upload_2019-4-4_13-20-31.png

The comments on Steam for this Mod are fun to read and some let's say colorful and frank, especially about comparing this to Civ VI's art style. I really like both actually: different but good. What is funny is that many people on Steam don't realize that dshirk, the person responding to some of the comments there, is Dennis Shirk, Senior Producer at Firaxis who worked on Civ V, and responsible for this mod as is, of course, Brian Busatti the artist who actually did it.

I haven't actually tried it yet. Will do so today but a few comments there are backing what I believe was also said here: that using this mod actually makes the game run faster. Interesting!

Reactions: BWS
This is a really fun mod. It's not for me, as I love the clean and refined aesthetic of Civ VI, but I can't even imagine the potential this brings for modding and improving the consensus user satisfaction.

Top Bottom