1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you like to see Civilization V’s art style back in VI?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Ondolindë, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Ondolindë

Ondolindë Chieftain

I agree. And modding should go crazy with this and I want to see what it's created. But what I find most appealing about all this is that Firaxis did it. Sometimes they surprise us like this. I welcome such refreshing surprises anytime.

acluewithout and Meluhhan like this.
  2. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Warlord

God's Teeth, I've been waiting for something like this!!!
    Leaving aside the aesthetics, the Civ VI terrain graphics are a screaming failure as part of a Graphic User Interface: when I still cannot always tell flat land from a hill, have to use tool tips to tell what kind of land is under a forest - then regardless of 'how nice' the Civ VI graphics look to you, They Do Not Work.

I will have to start a new game this evening using this Mod: and I can't think of another Mod that was so good I ever wanted to do that. . .

3. Bibor

Bibor Doomsday Machine

I have no quarrel with Civ5 or Civ6 graphics designers. They are doing a fantastic job. It's not their fault that they lack input from someone who should be in charge of giving them direction in certain things. The UI is how we interface with the game - it's darn important. Utility sometimes comes at expense of beauty. Perhaps Firaxis should take a second look at how Blizzard does things in this regard.

Stilgar08 likes this.
  4. Abaxial

Abaxial Chieftain

Started a new game with this mod and am enjoying it!

Fluphen Azine and Ondolindë like this.
  5. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Chieftain

I'm not sharing your opinion and love the graphics, even though sometimes you really cannot tell where hills are. Or railroads. :mischief:
    I just want to point out that when I want to make sure I toggle strategic view. Very clear and distinguished...

6. darko82

darko82 Chieftain

No, because Civ V looks ugly today. Even though I prefer Civ VI (more pleasant to eye style), I would like to see a more serious approach to artstyle. Something like Hearts of Iron IV style and not so cartoony.

I reshaded Civ VI because it is too colorful. And it looks almost perfect to me now.

I like weather effects and day and night cycle (a very good feature that changes lighting in the game).

7. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Chieftain

Would you share a Screenshot of that?

8. darko82

darko82 Chieftain

Here are two examples (presets that I created). Of course, you can adjust a lot of different settings and intensity to your liking.

What do you think?

CivVIa.png CivVIb.png

9. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

I'm seriously considering using this mode... I think it looks gorgeous.

10. kaspergm

kaspergm Warlord

This is really interesting stuff to me. This is what I want myself, like mentioned above, to desaturate the colours but not change the models. How did you do this, can it be done without editing the individual graphic files, or did you change the actual assets?

I tried to look through the game to see if I could identify the code that controls the tweaks for golden ages and dark ages, and to see if the numbers could be modified to have custom settings, but I couldn't find the right place in the code.

11. V. Soma

V. Soma long time civ fan

I like this surprise nostalgia :)

Kjimmet, Ondolindë and Stilgar08 like this.
  12. mitsho

mitsho Chieftain

Yeah, the so-called novelty nostalgia effect :)

I would welcome it if they go back to a more "Google Earth" displaying style rather than the boardgamey one Civ 6 uses. However, that means putting more information away from the map since that drive to display information directly by f.e. painting all science things blue is what makes the Civ 6 map look so gamey. Can't have both.

I'm certainly going to try it out.

13. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

I totally dig it. Not that the Civ6 environment isnt nice, but I absolutely love how the Civ5 style is applied here.

I especially like the rocky hills, coasts, and dense forests.

Kjimmet, Ondolindë and Stilgar08 like this.
  14. oedali

oedali Chieftain

No I do not

15. BarbarianHunter

BarbarianHunter Chieftain

The civ V map style seems more appropriate for a university level geography course than a game in which religious disputes are settled via lightning bolts from a gaseous cloud that forms above them. The 2 don't mix for me.

16. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Chieftain

Gorgeous! Is this a mod, too? Or would you tell me/us your settings?
    Thanks for sharing!

17. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Warlord

I'm afraid you just proved my point: if the only way to discern what the map is supposed to show you is to go to Strategic View, then why have the 'normal' map view at all?

But, I also have to modify my original post, having tried the 'Civ V' graphics last night: it still doesn't work. Hills are still effectively invisible; in several cases I couldn't even tell the difference between plains and grasslands or woods and rainforest tiles. In addition, Resource tiles still had the Civ VI-style 'saturated' color backgrounds (vegetation around Bananas and Dyes, for instance) so the result was a very peculiar 'mix' of colors on the map. I went back and started a game in 'regular' Civ VI graphics style, simply because it was at least consistent and had slightly fewer discrimination issues - but that doesn't mean it's Good, just Less Bad.

I think this is much, much closer to what I want: Hills show up very clearly, colors less garish but distinct among the various terrain types. I second the motion from others: either make this available as a Mod, or let us know what color/graphics 'tweaks' you used to get this so we can try it.

18. Jimdigriz

Jimdigriz Chieftain

Wow! Definitely doing this. I still really don't like VI's art style especially the awful brown map and fog of war.

qadams likes this.
  19. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Chieftain

Misunderstanding. I agree that it's occasionally hard to see hills (especially in forrest or djungle). Or railroads (esp.on district tiles). I don't share your opinion that it's a "screaming failure" because of that...:D
    There's a payoff for this (IMO) beautiful graphic and you might could have implemented a better visibility. But you have options and tools to handle it. And it's not like you have to toggle strat.view on/off permanently. I also think it's not such a big issue at all and most of the time the map is clear enough.

20. Ondolindë

Ondolindë Chieftain

Yes, I would be interested to know how to do that to learn something new. :)