1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you like to see Civilization V’s art style back in VI?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Ondolindë, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Warlord

I understand completely that we have different opinions about this. And I will grant that most of the map is perfectly clear. The fact that the discrimination of hills is still not fixed although it has been commented on since the game was first released, and the fact that this is the first iteration of Civ that I have ever had any problem telling what the terrain was, just makes me occasionally crazy.

rschissler, qadams and Stilgar08 like this.
  2. NukeAJS

NukeAJS Chieftain

I'll admit it took a bit of getting used to it, but once I did, I actually prefer the parchment look.

Ondolindë and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  3. Ondolindë

Ondolindë Warlord

By the way, Brian Busatti informed on Steam that he introduced a new hill height to the mod for better visibility.

4. qadams

qadams Bohemian

OMG - I can actually see hills again! Hallelujah!!

5. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

I actually don't care for it at all.

What I preferred in Civ 5 is the sleeker looking interface, character, and unit design. I never liked the Civ 5 map. The main thing about Civ 6 that I don't like is a lot of the units look like toys.

6. Solomonic Wisdom

Solomonic Wisdom Chieftain

I think it's great. Cheers!

Morningcalm and Fluphen Azine like this.
  7. Fluphen Azine

Fluphen Azine What is Fluphen Azine?

Hated Civ VI aesthetics for a year or two.
    After playing a few thousand hours I managed to get used to it like a new hair style on my wife.
    It no longer bothers me but Civ V has always been the best looking in the series to my eyes that is.

I am excited to download this mod and play some games with it.
    Hoping to see all those white clouds again!

Edit: Didn't see the white clouds... guess I need a different mod for that feature :)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    Morningcalm and Solomonic Wisdom like this.
  8. Rajendran_P

Rajendran_P Chieftain

The mod is fantastic. The terrain is sharp and clear. It like seeking 4K resolution. The flood plains, grass, plains, tundra, etc looks nice. Thank you for the mods.

Morningcalm likes this.
  9. BK*

BK* Chieftain

I hate this and it's why i didn't even play civ 5

10. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

I like both art styles, but I think they belong in their respective games. The only thing I miss about the art of Civ V is the leader screens, which to me will always be superior to the Civ VI ones.

11. Haggbart

Haggbart Chieftain

It's funny that people accused Civ 5 of being childish and cartoonish looking compared to Civ 4. And now Civ 6 ditto compared to Civ 5. It's almost as if people are looking at stuff with nostalgic tinted glasses :lol:

Personally, if I want to play Civ 5, I just play Civ 5.

12. glider1

glider1 Chieftain

It isn't rose tinted glasses. It is a trend. Civ4 had more tree types and true 3D. Civ5 had hybrid 3D and less tree types but still had natural textures. Civ6 has a disneyland look.

The reason is clear.

As time goes by fewer and fewer urban city dwelling gamers even remember what natural settings look like having seen nothing but houses, cars, schools and mobile phones all their lives. It is made worse because they compare nature to what they have seen on tv or a video game. Expect future Civ series to continue the artist trend toward more fantasy look and fake nature look based on distant memories of the real thing from urban gamers that no nothing else.

qadams likes this.
  13. BK*

BK* Chieftain

If they used the water and Forest from civ6 then this would be spot on.

14. Sickening

Sickening Chieftain

I support this artstyle but maybe for the next generation Civ ? I also would just hope that when Firaxis create a new Civ, wonders that is supposed to be constructed inside the city or even palace additions and essential city districts (commercial, industrial, culture, defense and holy district) would only visible when players zoom into the map just to add more realism to the game. I mean now that civ itself becomes more detailed, wouldn't it be a great idea to combine SimCity and Civ for some micromanagement play ?

15. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Chieftain

Sorry, but what a nonsense. City Kids have never seen a forrest or cows or horses and that's why they do this artstyle? :shake:

They do it because it has to be different, fresh. And because they can do it. Check out movies and how they evolve in the last decade - a very different approach of "picture telling" and I'm not only talking marvel here..

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  16. oedali

oedali Chieftain

True and check out pics people post nowadays on Instagram and FB, all colors are super saturated and bright that's the trend nowadays

17. Piranga

Piranga Chieftain

I would love it if they changed the leader images to more realistic looking ones instead of caricatures.

18. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

Anyone has issues using the Search function with this mod active? I just want to make sure it's not this mod if anything.

19. oedali

oedali Chieftain

I was using the "more lenses" mod and that exact issue was occurring until the mod author updated it and now search button is there

20. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

Is not your avatar here a caricature?

Kjimmet, Infixo and Stilgar08 like this.