1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you like to see Civilization V’s art style back in VI?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Ondolindë, Apr 3, 2019.

1. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

Not the issue I'm having, my search never complete, they kind of hang indefniately.

2. Haggbart

Haggbart Chieftain

I'm pretty sure people still know the difference between nature and cartoons. Let me know when the Chromecast bakgrunds turn into cartoons, then you know we're starting to lose it :lol:

Personally I just think more resources into art teams make for a more unique art styles. Civ 1-4 all look kinda generic.

Oh and before you ask, I'm from the middle of nowhere in Norway, so I do know how different trees look.

3. Medopu

Medopu Chieftain

I absolutely love this mod. I actually quit playing civ6 months ago and came back to my beloved civ 4 and 5.

A few days ago I somehow stumbled upon this thread and this mod and this convinced me to give civ 6 another chance, so i bought gathering storm dlc, downloaded this mod and had an absolutely great experience yesterday. :thumbsup:

5/5 this is really nice step in the right direction.

4. Ondolindë

Ondolindë Chieftain

It is interesting to me to see here and on Steam that there are people who are coming back to Civ VI or Civ for that matter because of this mod. I think that is great.

I personally like both of them, but still prefer to play Civ VI with its default art style which was improved with GS, except for the lighting which is darker. For that I use a mod that reverts it to R&F's lighting and shadow positioning.

Having said that, I think it is nice that people are finding in mods a way to make the game how they want it to be. So we are thankful to the truly, truly amazing modding community that is part of the game and franchise. And you do it for free. So, bravo, modders out there!

King Rad, Meluhhan, sonicmyst and 2 others like this.
  5. Tomice

Tomice Passionate Smart-Ass

Do you possibly have a link to that mod?

6. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Warlord

Haven't seen that one, but if you want to Pump Up your coastlines, try the Tsunami Waves Light Mod, which works very well with the Civ V skin for terrain.
    Since hills were 'buffed' this Mod and the Tsunami Waves make the map a pure joy to behold!

Of course, that's only my opinion: there's nothing at all wrong with playing on a map that looks like the road runner and Wiley E. Coyote should be racing across its version of a desert . . .

footslogger, acluewithout and pokiehl like this.
  7. Merciorum

Merciorum Chieftain

It's honestly a little disturbing to me how much more I've been enjoying Civ 6 with this on. While I've always liked the cities and buildings in 6, as well as the day/night cycle I vastly prefer the naturalistic feel of 5-style graphics to the oversaturated design failure that is Civ 6's terrain and environment.

The only real problem that still remains is that in the late game, the sheer clutter of buildings and improvements isn't integrated into the environment nearly as well as in 5. Still, certainly in the early game, this mod combined with 6's superior lighting and more advanced graphical tech overall makes it the prettiest Civ game ever, which is amazing considering it was previously the ugliest of the 3D ones.

qadams likes this.
  8. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Probably because you consider Civ VI's environmental style an "oversaturated design failure" :p

I wouldn't call it disturbing at all, it simply corrects something you don't enjoy. It doesn't do anything for me, because I love the design in VI. I'm wowed when I look at this mod (more like an overhaul) mainly due to the technical excellence on display.

9. darko82

darko82 Chieftain

Oversaturation is alomost never good. Especially in games or photography etc. That's why many people won't enjoy it. Just like overexposed photo etc.

I am so glad that I found a way to fix it.

10. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

There's a reason over-saturated phone screens won out over more cool, color real screens ...

11. darko82

darko82 Chieftain

Phone screens are not games (including Civ). Besides, can you measure the difference in saturation? I bet they are not they same, and they do not look the same. Phone screens are very sharp, and Civ VI is not, for instance.

So your argument is not valid enough at the moment.

Just refer to my previous post here and see the difference.

12. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Colour theory is a pretty complicated thing, but there's more to it than "bright colours === oversaturated". Rating something as oversaturated is fine, we all have our preferences. But it's on a personal level a lot of the time.

I'm happy you have a solution, honestly. My bias is I just want more people able to enjoy this game :D

King Rad, Meluhhan, Stilgar08 and 3 others like this.
  13. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Warlord

Many, many years ago I read a synopsis of the findings of Dr. Land (of Polaroid camera fame) who did some of the earliest experiments on human color perception. He was one of the first, as I understand it, to scientifically determine that individuals perceive colors very differently, and that the differences do not in any way correspond to the physics of the color being reflected from the object.
    So, specific to this Thread: One Player's Oversaturated Ugly is another Player's Really Beautiful Game, and both the one who sees the Beautiful and the one that sees the 'Oversaturation' are entirely Correct.

Bottom line, though: it's always good to have options.

King Rad, Meluhhan, Kjimmet and 7 others like this.
  14. Sostratus

Sostratus Chieftain

Here's what I was talking about:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1619400469&searchtext=city+sprawl
    here's a pic from some reddit thread where the guy uses that + some other tweaks to make his cities look super dense:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/au9iri/artdef_mod_collection_more_sprawl_no_flood/

Apparently the files that modify the city graphics are a little finicky, as the mod on the workshop calls out- you have to install it manually.

It's tough because of how they chose to make districts look; you really can't have both a super informative graphical look and make the cities look really organic, with the design themes of this game. Not without a ton of work, anyways.

15. i_imperator

i_imperator Imperator

No, the mod is a love it or hate it mod, I think it makes the game very difficult to look at.

16. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

No thanks, this looks muted, dull and lifeless. I strongly disliked the Civ 6 art when the game was first announced, but they won me over long ago. Civ 5 now looks really ugly and dated.

i_imperator, Stilgar08 and darko82 like this.
  17. Tomice

Tomice Passionate Smart-Ass

Thank you!

18. BK*

BK* Chieftain

Mine did this then I turned all mods off and started new game with only the mal and all worked. This is some mod conflict but I have not figured out which yet.

19. darko82

darko82 Chieftain

Color in Civ VI was adjusted to match the cartoony style, which the was the goal. Without the "oversaturation" it looks less like a colorful cartoon to me etc.

Civ V was dull, not sharp. Civ VI was supposed to be the opposite. Bright and colorul, which I prefer a lot more.

To tell you the truth, I cannot look at Civ V now. Improved graphics year by year spoiled my eyes. On the other hand, Civ II/ IV look ok to me. So yeah, it is often as matter of taste.

When Civ VI came out, I expected some revolution in graphics. Too much expectations probably.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  20. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

So you disabled all mods, and then only enabled the art style one? Bizarre. I had that except I also had my custom UI mod but that makes not a single change to the minimap or any search function ui ever.