1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you like to see Civilization V’s art style back in VI?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Ondolindë, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Warlord

Very interesting. Basically, your ideas would transfer the inter-District adjacencies to intra-District adjacencies: the combinations of Buildings within the District would provide bonuses instead of the configuration of the Districts themselves.

However, unless we want to add 'Tier 4' or more Buildings per District, with 5 'slots' every District could wind up being a 'mixed' District. This is not in itself a bad idea: after all, early Workshops and Markets combined work and residence areas, so Housing could be a 'generic' Building that could be added to any district.

Other 'generic' Buildings that could be added to any District (except maybe Encampments) might be:
    Sewer - adds value to any District with Housing
    Mass Transit - adds value to any District with Housing, Commerce, Culture or Entertainment (Amenity)
    Park/Greenbelt - adds Amenity value.
    Avenue - a 'processional way' in ancient terms, a great wide street that adds value to any District - think the great avenues like the Boulevards in Paris, 5th Avenue in New York, Michigan Avenue in Chicago, etc. If the graphics were planned right, adjacent Districts each with an 'Avenue' could form a long connected Processional Way, with additional sections providing even more value to the city as a whole.

Putting Wonders in the Districts is another idea I'd endorse: so many of the current and potential Wonders are structures within the city, not off in a separate area: the current discussion of Notre Dame brought that home to me: nobody built a cathedral out in the countryside - they are all right smack in the middle or close to the middle of the city. Notre Dame is the major structure on the Island of the City, the original Lutetia or Roman 'Paris' - you don't get more centered (City Center District) than that!

That would mean, though, that each Wonder would have a Placement Requirement indicating whether it can be built and still function as a 'stand alone' out in the country - like Stonehenge, Mont St. Michel, Golden Gate, Panama Canal, or should be located where people can actually get to it: Hanging Gardens, Great Library, Hagia Sophia, etc. The influences and bonuses from Wonders might have to be extensively reworked, but that seems to need doing anyway - at least, there are several Mods already that do just that.

2. King Rad

King Rad Chieftain

@Boris Gudenuf and @mitsho you guys have just given several more ideas that would work wonderfully in the next expansion of VI [and I hope there is one]. One problem could be [and one of the things I like about the current graphics] is identifying easily, especially when zoomed out, what specific districts and/or buildings are located in a city. With regard to the graphics, which is the main topic of this thread, I loved V's graphics until I saw VI's - so now I like both. As several have said, it's basically a matter of taste. And anything, such as the mods discussed, that allow one to tailor the game more to their liking, the better.

3. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Warlord

I think @mitsho had a simple, elegant solution: different colored roofs in each District. Roofs could be tile, slate, wood, shingle,, etc, according to graphic 'styles' of the Civs, but the roof or its edge/cornice would have a color unique to the District.
    Non-District buildings, as discussed above, would get the color of the district they were in, but the building graphic would otherwise stay the same, keeping each District 'color-coded', but fairly easy on examination to tell exactly what Buildings had been placed there.

King Rad and Zaarin like this.
  4. mitsho

mitsho Chieftain

Yeah, I have quite a few other ideas for the aspects of the game, but you are right, that‘s not the point of this thread. The introduction of the „empire lense“ in Gathering Storm with symbols and marked city limits may be just proof that a perfectly readable map is not possible. And how much you want it to be lies in the triangle of „nice“ graphics, gameplay and the needs of the User Interface.

Zaarin and King Rad like this.
  5. Ondolindë

Ondolindë Chieftain

I agree. I haven’t tried it, but I wonder if @pokiehl’s mod Vibrant Waters fixes this https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1472662589.

6. Gloompy

Gloompy Chieftain

No. Civ 6 is really well optimized.

Ferocitus likes this.
  7. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

Loved V but after playing so much VI the V graphics look kinda dead and dated when I tried this mod. I guess if the cartoonish stuff bugs you this mod is for you. Thought I'd like it more.

Having said that I really wish VI hills showed up as well as Vs.

DefiantMars, King Rad and Zaarin like this.
  8. Ondolindë

Ondolindë Chieftain

Socrates99 likes this.
  9. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

Will check that out. TY.

Ondolindë likes this.
  10. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Warlord

Vibrant Waters gives the coastal/lake waters more variation in color - gives them 'depth'. My other favorite for water effects is Tsunami Waves Lite which really makes your coastlines come alive.

Ondolindë likes this.
  11. Abaxial

Abaxial Chieftain

I tried "Higher Hills" but it doesn't work very well. The hills with this Civ V mod are much clearer than with Civ VI landscapes, and I am finding I generally prefer it, so I am sticking with it for now.

12. qadams

qadams Bohemian

I really love this new/old skin. In fact, until installing the mod, I hadn't realized how unhappy I am with the cartoony flavor of the Civ6 art style. It just feels wrong for what is supposed to be, at its best, a majestic empire-building game.

Infixo and glider1 like this.
  13. Ondolindë

Ondolindë Chieftain

Brian, the author of this mod, did improve hills a few weeks ago. And, yes, Higher Hills Mod seem best for those playing without this one.

14. footslogger

footslogger Chieftain

I don't usually play with mods so don't know much about how they work, but I downloaded the Environment Skin Civ 5 one because I liked the look of it. I used it once or twice and then disabled it. Now I want to enable it again but find that since the April 11 trade patch it no longer appears in the list of additional content. Surely I don't have to download it again? Can anyone tell me where to find it so that I can re-enable it?

15. qadams

qadams Bohemian

There's a Steam link here in the first post.
    https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...civilization-v’s-art-style-back-in-vi.644513/

16. footslogger

footslogger Chieftain

Thanks, I downloaded it again earlier, much quicker this time. The problem was probably my own fault. I didn't understand the difference between Subscriptions and the rest of the mods (still don't actually) and quite possibly unsubscribed at some point.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  17. V. Soma

V. Soma long time civ fan

I ask if anyone else still have the map search problem using this mod...? I do...

18. Infixo

Infixo Warlord

This is a pure art-assets level mod, not even UI mod. Whatever problems you have with the search are caused by something else, imo. I don't know what specifcally happens, but there are many mods that modify the small map window and its functions (more lenses, cqui, parts of cui, map tacks, etc.)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  19. V. Soma

V. Soma long time civ fan

There's been update of this Environmental mod because of map search problems... but OK, I will check other mods by testing...

20. Infixo

Infixo Warlord

Oh, I didn't know that. Well... apparently there is a connection then :)