Would you like your modpk included on game magazine CD?

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
I received an email from an editor of UK's PC Format magazine a few days ago about possible inclusion of some Civ3 mods on CivFanatics to the magazine's CD. Here is his message:

Hi
We'd like to covermount your Civ mods on PC Format discs with
issue 134 on sale 28th March 2002. Please can you let me know if we can go ahead with this ASAP as time is of the essence - sorry this is such short notice.

And my reply:

I can not give you permission to put files that are not created by me on your CD. But you are free to put the Less Yellow Modpack for Civ3 that I made:

The link to my mod is:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8196

For other mods you'll need to contact the authors. The issue of copyrights is a very delicate thing...

What do you think about that? Do you mind game magazines put your mod on their magazine CDs?

Personally I wouldn't mind, as long as proper credit was given. Of course, I haven't actually finished a mod yet, so I guess my opinion on this is rather moot.

Were they just interested in graphics mods, or were they also going to include scenario mods and maps as well? Just curious.

Originally posted by Ed O'War
Were they just interested in graphics mods, or were they also going to include scenario mods and maps as well? Just curious.

I think he was talking about those graphics mods I recommended in the Civ3 newsgroup a few weeks ago. He sent the email to my hotmail address, which I don't check very often. I use hotmail for newsgroup posts.

Btw, PC Format's website is at http://www.pcformat.co.uk/

Sounds like a great opportunity for some of the mod makers to get their names out there.

I wonder if he also wants unit graphics...no reason.:D

First off it is called a avatar. It can be edited in the Edit Options part of the user cp at the bottom. Getting a custom avatar is hard. I got my Fire Longbowman when Thunderfall was feeling generous and was taking requests. The only other way is to have 99999 posts. Have trying that!:crazyeyes

Wow! Thats great Shaitan! You must be very happy!

Yeah, it was very flattering. Especially since I'm a yank making a British Isles mod and it's being published in the UK. I've just got to get V10 finished before the mag distributes. They're going to put in a link to the Forum and I want the civ1.17 version up before lots of visitors come to our neighborhood. ;)

Sweet! niceone Shaitan :)

I live in the UK (Scotland) and have been buying PC Format every month for the last 7 years so if my resources make it into your mod which makes it into PC Format that would be sooooooooo cool :))

Originally posted by Shockwave
Sweet! niceone Shaitan :)

I live in the UK (Scotland) and have been buying PC Format every month for the last 7 years so if my resources make it into your mod which makes it into PC Format that would be sooooooooo cool :))
Definitely have to get V10 up. That's the one that will feature your resources. :)

The one they are publishing is 6.2. They had to send the files for publishing well in advance.

Since a link will be included that brings the readers to Civfanatics, whether the mods are included on the CD become much less important right? ;)

I don't know about others, but I am one who hardly unwrap those CDs that come with the magazines. :D

Originally posted by Dark Sheer
I don't know about others, but I am one who hardly unwrap those CDs that come with the magazines. :D

I only buy those magazines for the CD inside....i rarely read them. :D

He can put my mod on..."Civ3 on Earth"...it certainly has a good enough readme file etc for people to be instructed in it's use.

I am sure that Gramphos won't mind his CPT incorporated in my mod to be used.

Version 7 of my mod at present has been thoroughly playtested and doesn't have any problems that prevent playing to completion.

d/l from:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=183759

relevant thread:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16042&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

I think it will certainly get our mods played by alot more people as many will never have ventured to a civ3 site!

:king:

As a point of "professional pride" I really think my mod deserves to be on such a CD. I have included in my readme and scenario description that people such as Paul Saunders, Marla Singer and Gramphos deserve much praise for their "work" that made my mod possible...and to those people that have helped eliminate any bugs in it!

I wouldn't mind, provided I am able to get all the bugs out of it and stop it from crashing - no point including it if it is still crashing the game for some people ... :)

Top Bottom