Would you move to Germany?

Maneck21

Chieftain
Well ,their population is shinking, it's not going to be long before they will want skilled workers. So if you are asked by a German firm to go work there for 20K more than you make now, would you go?

Well ,their population is shinking, it's not going to be long before they will want skilled workers. So if you are asked by a German firm to go work there for 20K more than you make now, would you go?

In fact, the Federal Employment Office has published a few days ago that alone 90,000 (!) engineers are needed badly right now. There are a lot of other branches where similar numbers are missing at the moment, and it will get even worse ( or better, depends how you look at it ) until 2020.

I'd strongly consider it if it was in or around Berlin, but other than that I'm not so sure.

Do they need anything other than engineers?????

I have only been in Munich and i loved it but i just can't stand cold climates. I would get very homesick.

I'd strongly consider it if it was in or around Berlin, but other than that I'm not so sure.

Do they need anything other than engineers?????

Hm... Berlin is a bit problematic right now, as it is a region with a relatively high unemployment. The regions most desperate for workers are Bavaria and Baden-Württenberg.
What is needed most at the moment, engineers aside, seem to be engine builders, chemists, information/computer scientists and the metal industry in general.

Yes, you also have to get used to believing that the holocaust happened.

:joke:

What German cities would you consider to be the best generally and what to be the best for someone who would migrate to Germany ? In comparison with Munich how do they fare?

What German cities would you consider to be the best generally and what to be the best for someone who would migrate to Germany ? In comparison with Munich how do they fare?

From what I learned in Switzerland, go to smaller cities with smaller populations. You can get a larger house, more privacy and less annoying Americans.:lol:

That's the trend in all of Europe. Instead of Paris, London, Berlin, and Rome. Move to Brussels, Prague, Dublin, and Bern.

Do you have to learn German?

Depends on where you would want to work. If you work at a big corporation ( Siemens, Bayer, VW and the like ) English is allright. In fact, in some of these corporations, the internal language for emails and correspondance already is English. Although you would be expected to learn at least basic German if you were here for longer periods of time , I guess.
In the case of other languages, it is more difficult. If you speak Spanish, Italian etc, you would certainly be expected to learn a bit of German beforehand ( but if you speak English as a second language, that is not a problem as well mostly and they will hire you after all ) .

I have only been in Munich and i loved it but i just can't stand cold climates. I would get very homesick.

And I´m complaining all the time that Germany is too hot for me, so I want to emigrate to a colder climate :).

From what I learned in Switzerland, go to smaller cities with smaller populations. You can get a larger house, more privacy and less annoying Americans.:lol:

That's the trend in all of Europe. Instead of Paris, London, Berlin, and Rome. Move to Brussels, Prague, Dublin, and Bern.

I lied . I also been to Cologne but i didn't find it important to mention it. Yet their prices where much cheaper the Homes where quite large and it was a lot quieter so i see where you are coming from. But unfortunately Germany doesn't have two very necessary things. Mediterranean climate and sea. So Germany would be precisely the place i wouldn't want to move to.

And I´m complaining all the time that Germany is too hot for me, so I want to emigrate to a colder climate :).

Well, if Germany is too hot then go to freezing hell, also known as Sweden.

Ha, I have made two jokes today, a record.

:( Not true, we've even chased away the polar bears from the southern parts now so its perfectly habitable.

I wouldn't mind working in Germany, but I don't know the language, unfortunately.

I lied . I also been to Cologne but i didn't find it important to mention it. Yet their prices where much cheaper the Homes where quite large and it was a lot quieter so i see where you are coming from. But unfortunately Germany doesn't have two very necessary things. Mediterranean climate and sea. So Germany would be precisely the place i wouldn't want to move to.

Well, we do have the North Sea and the Baltic Sea ;). Just not in combination with mediterranean climate.

Ha, I have made two jokes today, a record.

I´m considering Denmark or Norway at the moment. Strangely wnough, I had no problems learning these two, but am struggling with Swedish :crazyeye:.

:( Not true, we've even chased away the polar bears from the southern parts now so its perfectly habitable.

Have you exterminated the bearmen yet?

I would move to Sweden in a flash, if only I knew the language. I like hunting penguins too, if that's what you do in your country clubs.

I'm going to stop counting my jokes now, is that ok? I am sorry if I offend anyone who didn't know I was telling a joke.

For "first timers", bigger cities like Berlin, Hamburg, Cologne, Frankfurt and Munich should be ideal. Quite a lot of opportunities and you shouldn´t get too much of a culture shock there ;). Those are cities just like any others in Europe or America, except for the language. And they have lots of immigrants, so the guys there are used to strange foreigners :D.

Hm... Berlin is a bit problematic right now, as it is a region with a relatively high unemployment. The regions most desperate for workers are Bavaria and Baden-Württenberg.
What is needed most at the moment, engineers aside, seem to be engine builders, chemists, information/computer scientists and the metal industry in general.

No lawyers or philosophers eh!? :(

My problem with non-Berlin Germany is that I have it on good authority that the rest of Germany (especially outside the big cities) is culturally stuck somewhere around 1994.

Depends on where you would want to work. If you work at a big corporation ( Siemens, Bayer, VW and the like ) English is allright. In fact, in some of these corporations, the internal language for emails and correspondance already is English. Although you would be expected to learn at least basic German if you were here for longer periods of time , I guess.
Cool, if you find any opening for a cocky young electrical engineer in the 70k USD range, give me holler.

No lawyers or philosophers eh!? :(

My problem with non-Berlin Germany is that I have it on good authority that the rest of Germany (especially outside the big cities) is culturally stuck somewhere around 1994.

Sadly, no, they don´t seek a lot of lawyers and philosophers ( my personal problem at the moment, I studied politics/sociology/social psychology and a bit of international law ) :( .

Stuck around 1994... I wouldn´t say it´s that bad :).

Top Bottom