1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you pay money NOT to smoke?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by caketastydelish, Oct 8, 2017.

1. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

The Trump administration with their bizarre policies just signed a law from the silly senate saying everyone in America must smoke cigarettes. However, you can opt out by paying a tax of 100 dollars per month. Otherwise, you get the cigarettes for free (provided by the government) but you must smoke them.

Would you do it?

2. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Jokerfied Western Male

Free cigarettes ? Cool !
    I started stress smoking last year and stopped partly because it costs a fortune.
    Is there a quota on how many I have to smoke per day ?

3. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

4. luiz

luiz Trendy Revolutionary

Well if there's no way to cheat myself out of smoking them, then sure I would pay. 100 dollars per month is peanuts compared to several years of my life.

5. tuckerkao

tuckerkao King

No, Trump didn't sign the Cigarette Smoke Act, that'll violate the freedom of people and the Constitution.

Many religious groups will stand up against this even from the Republican party.

6. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

Moderator Action: RD status removed.

7. schlaufuchs

schlaufuchs La Femme Moderne

Is there a minimum amount I'd have to smoke per month? If it was like, a pack a month, I'd probably suck it up. Anything more than that and probably not.

8. tuckerkao

tuckerkao King

I guess he'll pay more for a smoke-free hotel room.

9. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

I would not pay the fee, not smoke the cigarettes and tell everybody around me to do the same.

10. schlaufuchs

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2017
    Kyriakos, Zelig, Dachs and 3 others like this.
  11. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

You would have to smoke the $100 worth, and no, you cannot get a luxury brand (if such a thing exists, I wouldn't know)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  12. Ryika

• Warned for flaming.
    download.gif

Not sure why your post makes me so angry (I know, that gif does not seem very angry at all), but go eat an apple.

My response was entirely valid, as the question of the OP was "Would you do it?", not "If you had to do one of these, which one would you choose?". My response clearly stated that no, I would not do it, and instead choose to protest against it, because that policy would be a serious infringement on the rights of every American Citizen. That's an option within the hypothetical as it was stated, as the op has not specified that I need to choose exactly between the two, he has merely outlined the situation of the law as it is being implemented and then asked if I would abide by the new law by "buying" my way out.

Moderator Action: In the future, report posts instead of responding with your own rule-breaking. - Vincour
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2017
    Kyriakos likes this.
  13. schlaufuchs

The options are smoke $100 worth of cigarettes a month, or pay $100 a month. You chose "neither" which is not an option. Refer to Fifty's post.

caketastydelish likes this.
  14. red_elk

red_elk Deity

I'm not an American citizen, so no.
    But I can take free cigarettes, if Trump administration will insist.

15. Ryika

I see how the thread can be read as "Choose between the two.", but it's not made explicit, and I think my reading that he's just giving the framework of the law as it is implemented is entirely valid, too, maybe even the more reasonable reading of the post.

16. tuckerkao

tuckerkao King

Health Insurance is at least triple times as expensive and people still need to pay to avoid the tax penalties.

17. REDY

REDY Duty Caller

Well i do this sometimes by buying nicorette plaster...

I remember how was our teacher once saying....hell if I would know that time (communism) it would be that expensive (everybody expected that he will says that he would quit)...I would buy thousands cartons!

18. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

If it is Russian cigarette which are made from the stems and branches rather then the leaf. Your better off paying the $100 not to smoke
    I'd imagine that you will all have lung cancer from smoke that, and given how cheap it is you would have to smoke probably 3 packets per week

If enforcement is lax, you can just sell them off instead

19. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

20. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

This is just bizarre enough that he might actually consider doing it. You American folks had best hope that nobody who runs a tobacco conglomerate ever becomes president.

I guess after everyone there is dead from lung cancer or COPD, we'll just annex your land, remediate it as best we can, and finally have a place to put all the illegal migrants Trump is sending us.